Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do-it-yourself anodizing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Some years back I had a bunch of parts re-"cad" plated & they came out great. But it was one of those hurry up jobs - a club guy said he was going to some parts & we got together (about 5 of us) & did it as a group to reduce cost. Since it was a hurry-up deal, I didn't get the chance to do some of the parts that take a little more time to remove. I want to do them now.

Has anyone tried any of the do-it-yourself kits that are out there? If so, what was your experience?

I understand that these do not really "cad" plate parts & I forget what the actual plating is called, but the parts I've seen done look like cad. I also understand that there are some VERY nasty chemicals involved, but I know how to deal with those. Though, I'm not certain how to dispose of the spent chemicals.

Any info appreciated. I'd really like to try this myself.
sixerdon
Pat,
In the May,'06 Sports & Exotic Car mag, the one with the 914 on the cover, there is an article on "Replicating" the gold cad plating. You should read the article if you can find the mag.
Another friend had some of 914 parts cad plated with the same method from someone else. I saw the results. Didn't care for it. Just my opinion. The zinc plating looks better when it's done.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.