Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wannateener's Essay is Done and here!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wannateener
After a lot of work and help from the Board I finally finished the essay that I chose to do on the reasons for restoring a 914. I got an A on the paper and had to do a powerpoint presentation also which I got an A on. Here is the paper and the Powerpoint slides. Slide 17 was a digital movie of Streetlegal's car in our neighborhood. I put that on Youtube.com which can be accessed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7njcIa0Bo

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Thanks Aaron for the suggestion about putting the movie on Youtube.

Dylan
piratenanner.gif
wannateener
914- A Car Worth Restoring
People ask me why I am restoring a 30-year-old car that doesn’t have all the options that a new car has. Many say it is an old car that takes a long time and money to fix. What they don’t understand is that it is worth restoring because it has a unique history, is fun to drive, it has a strong motor club for support and there aren’t many around so the value will only go up,
The 914 has an interesting history. Ferdinand Porsche was born on the third September 1875 in Germany. His father, Anton Porsche, owned a sheet-metal factory and as soon as Ferdinand graduated from elementary school he started to work for his father. Ferdinand was to take over the factory some day after his father. (Ferndinand)
The first vehicle to have the Porsche name created a sensation when it appeared at the Paris Exposition in 1900. Called the Lohner-Porsche, it was a battery-powered two-seater that used electric motors (Ferdinand). In 1933 Hitler came to power in Germany. He had envisioned a network of super highways plus an affordable car with which the average German family could travel. Hitler asked his advisors which engineers would best be qualified to design such a car and three names came up, one of which was Porsche. The other two were Jews so that left Porsche as the only one. Porsche didn’t care about politics and Hitler’s racism didn’t concern him. Hitler wanted Porsche to build a car that could carry 5 people, cruise up to 62mph, return 33mpg, and cost only 1000 Reich Marks. Porsche developed the VW.
After WWII the British arrested Porsche however Porsche was released and then
Ferdinand Porsche was picked up by the French at the end of 1945, he was 72 yrs old. The French wanted Porsche to build them a people’s car, Porsche said he would but he was thrown into jail and was subsequently held for 22 months in various prisons. He was released when he posted a bail of 1 million francs, about $19, 712.00 at that time, which would be about which he had raised by signing a contract to design the racing car Cisitalia (because the French didn’t want to pay him). After Ferdinand got out of jail he examined the design of the racing car Cisitalia, which was constructed under the management of his son Ferry. Sadly Ferdinand Porsche suffered a stroke. He did not fully recover, and died on January 30,1951 at 76 years old. (Porsche)
The Porsche 914, introduced in September 1969, was a sporty, mid-engined two-seater. The idea for the 914 originated in the mid-sixties, when the presidents of VW and Porsche collaborated on an idea to produce a new sports car for each of their companies. When looking at a 914, you don't see the resemblance of any other Porsches The big round headlights and long sloping rear were gone 914's have the pop-up headlamps, and a vertical rear windshield, with a flat deck lid covering the rear trunk and engine. Porsche designed them mostly to produce a simple, reliable, two-seat sports car with an immediately identifiable appearance. 914 Porsches originally cost $3,495 new. And there were 108,000 914s made from years 1970-76. 914 bodies were built and assembled by Karmann. A lot of Porsche enthusiasts bad mouth the 914 because of its relationship with VW, however, the 914 Porsche was the best-selling Porsche of its time; they were produced from 1970-76 for about $3,495. (Schrager)
One of the benefits of 914 ownership is membership in a great club. I am part of a 914 club that is an online club with members all around the world. I have been a 914club member for a couple of years and I have gotten to like the community on this club site because they are always there to help any time of the day. There are over 5,502 members in the club. When I started my 914-project car I needed everything from an engine and transmission to headlights and bumpers and many in the club were generous enough to give me most every thing that I needed for free or greatly discounted. The members on the board are so helpful that once I received this writing assignment, I posted that I needed an interview to help make my persuasive points and in 15 minutes I had 4 posts to my first question. My first question was, “Why choose a 914 to restore over any other car?”
The first response I got was from jd7914, “It’s the one Porsche I could buy, and then afford to upgrade. It’s unique.” Another club member, Rotten Robby, also said, “I chose a 914 because years ago, while auto crossing a 240Z and winning my class in nearly every event I evaluated why I was losing those two or three times a year. I found that I consistently lost by 2 seconds when either of two guys would show up. One owned an Alfa Romeo GTV-6, the other a Porsche 914 2.0. The thought of owning an Alfa Romeo was just too nauseating. How would I deal with the shame? But the 914 intrigued me.”
Many people responded to my question, “Because it’s the most affordable Porsche around,” “There aren’t that many around”, “it’s a conversation piece,” and “it gets an average of 30 mpgs. For an old car that’s good.” I think Gwn7 said it well when he said, “the car is a unique antique that is fun to drive and still is cheap enough to repair for an average person and best of all has the support of several thousand members in almost every part of the world.” Flesburg also summed it up well by saying, “no cars have come close to being as much fun to drive.”
But the one the one that did catch my attention was in a portion of effutuo101’s response when he is talking about the 914 car shows, “I don’t have to worry about people letting kids loose with chocolate and ice cream in hand and getting it on my interior” that caught my attention because when I went to my very first 914 show/swap meat and all the people that brought their kids did keep an eye on their children because they don’t want their interior’s or cars messed up. (Sanders)
914s are worth saving because no matter how much money you put in it you should always get your money back plus some. Quite a few survive to be restored, modified, and even raced by enthusiasts. Club members estimated approximately ten to twenty thousand are still operating. Today most 914 Porsches that are completely restored are valued in the range of $15,000-$30,000 and the 914s that need restoring start anywhere from free, get it out of my yard, to $1,000. (Sanders)
So, when people ask me why I’m restoring a 30-year-old car with out all the luxury items of a new car. I tell them that it helps me know what is under my trunk/against my back (mid-engine) and a supported club besides they are fun and reliable. Or as poor-sche lover in my forum said, “…there is an intangible joy (that I have not experienced yet) that comes with driving a 914. It is that quiet chuckle when the guy can't find the engine. It is that pride that gets bruised when they ask if it's one of them thar Fiats. It is that look you get when they think you're pouring gas "directly" into your engine. You can't get that with a Camry.” or simply stated by johnman “It’s a Porsche!”
jd74914
sweet, i got a quote.

how old are you btw? i think we should start an under-21 914 owners club laugh.gif
BigDBass
Really enjoyed that video! Great job!
wannateener
sweet, i got a quote.

how old are you btw? i think we should start an under-21 914 owners club

Hey I like your idea, Im for it. I turn 16 on the 23rd of this month,

Here come the pics from my power point, im on dial up so its slow

Dylan
wannateener
Really enjoyed that video! Great job!

thanks it took all day to do it
it was fun and hard to keep the camera still on the turns going about 60 on 35 - 45 mph turns
thanks dylan

PS . did the music work with the movie??? It should be The Cars
SGB
Thats a great movie! Thats gotta be the PCH...
wannateener
Thats a great movie! Thats gotta be the PCH...

Actually its up here at Shaver Lake in the Sierra's between Yosemite and Kings canyon. We are thinking of having a poker run up here. The roads are great!
wannateener
more slides
wannateener
I explained to the class about how the 914 club was so supportive about my trying to rebuild and restore my car
wannateener
Me and My car and what I hope my car will look like when its done
wannateener
Here is where the movie was played. This is streetlegal's car and both of us in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7njcIa0Bo
wannateener
End of presentation, I summed up all the reasons for wanting to restore a 914. Mostly it was to learn, to work on something that was unique and to be part of a great club! boldblue.gif Dylan
Aaron Cox
killer video, and nice music choice!
914-8
Fun read!

Some revisions:

1. Your very first sentence - ends in a preposition! An inauspicious way to kick off your essay.

2. You need to add "when rolled off a cliff" to the end of the sentence "The 914/6 could go 0-60 in six seconds flat and tops at 155 mph."

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
wannateener

Thanks Aaron, it was fun

1. Your very first sentence - ends in a preposition! An inauspicious way to kick off your essay.

dang school just got out and i already forgot what that is. smile.gif

You need to add "when rolled off a cliff" to the end of the sentence "The 914/6 could go 0-60 in six seconds flat and tops at 155 mph."
Great idea!!!!!!
god I hope i never find out, we have a lot of cliffs over here smile.gif
porschecb
Very well done!!!!!!!! Time well spent on a great project! Good for you and us!! You did us proud!!! Thanks! boldblue.gif
wannateener
Very well done!!!!!!!! Time well spent on a great project! Good for you and us!! You did us proud!!! Thanks!

thanks it took me 4 weekends to finish this and work on my car at the same time im glad you liked it now i have to get my car done by the beginning of next school year

dylan
BigDBass
PS . did the music work with the movie??? It should be The Cars

The music worked nicely. And at least one of us is showing his age: Your soundtrack is the song "Cars" by Gary Neuman. "The Cars" was a band from more or less the same time period. rock_band.gif
wannateener
Hey didnt you just give yourself away smile.gif
wannateener
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif Finally out of school for the summer!!!! of course now I have to go to work to pay for parts for my car but it sure beats taking tests.

Dylan
Gint
The Zambeziteen is flattered!

Grats on another school year completed and nice work on the paper. Video was cool too.
Howard
Fine Job!! smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
This brings back a flood of memory's. EVERY paper I wrote from age 15-18 for school was 914 related (1985) I picked up my first 914 in Dec. of 85. I had just turned 15.

I really appreciate your efforts and the references to the club site. It is amazing that we can have a positive effect on the youth of today with all the video games and such.

Keep up the good work. The torch will be passed to you someday to uphold the 914 name.

B
TJB/914
Dylan (wannateener)

Congratulations on your school project. You make us senior members very proud. It's a great feeling to know we have new 914 young blood like yourself. Anytime you need something ask for it and we will gladly help you. Your parents must be very proud of you.

Tom
Miss Mari
HI everyone,

Mom of wannateener here. He hasnt been able to see your responses as he got a full time job at a local boy scout camp for the summer. He comes home for the first time Saturday and will be thrilled to see your comments. He worked very hard on the project as it is also going to be part of his senior project in order to graduate. He turns 16 tomorrow and we are very proud of the person he is becoming. My thanks to all great club members who have had powerful influence on him. Mari
ppickerell
Cool paper. Hey, that car looks familiar!
ppickerell
Prior to my purchasing that car, it was owned by a gay philipino hairdresser.
Dr Evil
av-943.gif 914, the gay Phillipino hair dressers choice!

This is a great read. I enjoyed it very much.

Happy birthday!
Dr Evil
Hey Dylan,
Just so you see it when you get back, I sent you an email with a birthday suprise biggrin.gif
mikelsr
Dylan,
I enjoyed your video and essay. You remind me of another young man that frequents the Porsche Pete's Boxster Board (PPBB). He was a young Boxster fan (to the max) who reminded people what a Porsche was all about.

Keep your passion, put it into everything you do and you will go far.

I wish you the best of luck and birthday3.gif

Mike
wannateener
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the nice words about my project.
The Zambeziteen is flattered!

Grats on another school year completed and nice work on the paper. Video was cool too.
i can only wish mine will looks as nice,. for my birthday my parents reuppolstered my seats and my dashboard. its on its way to looking good.

Thanks Brad!
This brings back a flood of memory's. EVERY paper I wrote from age 15-18 for school was 914 related (1985) I picked up my first 914 in Dec. of 85. I had just turned 15.
are we related ????idea.gif
The torch will be passed to you someday to uphold the 914 name.
i hope to do as good a job as you. Thanks

Thanks Howard and Tom and Mikelsr! : clap56.gif

Hey, that car looks familiar!
it was owned by a gay philipino hairdresser.
Wow that would explain all the hairclips , bu he did leave me over $8.00 i n loose change too laugh.gif

I sent you an email with a birthday suprise
Mike your great!1 Thanks, i sent you a PM

Thanks for the Bday wishes. You guys are great! Dylan
jd74914
QUOTE(Miss Mari @ Jun 22 2006, 05:45 PM) *

He worked very hard on the project as it is also going to be part of his senior project in order to graduate.

Nice, my 914 was my senior project smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.