Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sourcing a New Chrome Bumper? (rear)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I got some more pictures of the Aubergine car. The rear bumper is a pretzel.

They're asking me if I know of a source for replacement chrome bumpers. Anyone know if they are still available?

-Rusty smoke.gif
boxstr
They are sold at CAMP 914 for $550. Bumper only Concours triple plated.
Craig
SGB
Ouch.

I'll bet that's about market though. I was thinking maybe $400 for a "good as new" used was the best you would get. A camp 914 de-tweak and re-plate is prolly a bargain at 550.
anthony
There's lots of decent used bumpers out there for $50-100. The question becomes 'how much does it cost to straighten and triple plate one of those'.
Rusty
Here are the newest pictures... I wish he had taken a picture of the inside of the trunk. I'm concerned about the trunk floor.

Here is an excerpt from an email I sent him before email got screwy.

This is the damage I can see.

1. Bumper & top replaced. There was a round chrome plug (where the hole is in the bumper) that looks like it was knocked off the bumper. Did anyone pick that up?
2. Decklid possibly replaced, and hinges/mounting points checked. Often repairs on the lip ending up bubbling rust in a year or two.
3. Rear panel straightened.
4. Paint. Aubergine is going to be a tough color to match.

The only thing I can't see is if the floor of the rear trunk was damaged from the impact. That is a structural area for the car, as the transmission mounts to the bottom of the rear trunk floor. If there are no buckles or warping on the trunk floor, then most of this is cosmetic.

Then I went on to discuss parts. I suggested CAMP914, HPH and Stoddard's as sources.

Honestly, I won't push for the bumper top replacement. It looked okay (not great) from the outside, but the inside shows a different story. confused24.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
SLITS
Don't know straightening costs, but a re-chrome starts at $275 in our neck of the woods.
rhodyguy
they owe you a bumper top. screw the internal issues. the repair estimate will no doubt exceede the car's value (their tables). take the check, keep the car, and buy my bumper.

k
GWN7
agree.gif They owe you a new pad. You didn't have the accident. Unless they can find you a like quality item. (unlikely) BTW the pad is $252-$459 from the usual suspects.

The hit was hard enough to move the bumper so the tow point at the rear poked the dent in the bumper where the plug goes. I'd suspect the floor is bent too. It might need some time on a frame machine to straighten the rear end properly.
Eric_Shea
I probably missed a thread but... this shit happened at your storage facility? Is this the one where they called and asked "if you car had any dents on it previously?"

Holy Shit. They whacked it good! ohmy.gif
boxstr
Rusty If you want I will send you pics of rear bumper and pad that I have, excellent condtion and send me you core rear bumper.
Or I will take your rear bumper in and have it straightened and chromed, only after they look at it.
New top pads are $250. from CAMP 914
Craig
D1A3
This is why you have to get your car insured for an "agreed" value with your insurer. These are old cars that you cannot just take to you rocal repair shop and get back a qweek later. I would think more than a few 914's have succombed to the "exceeds" value clause of most insurance policies.

Reading this thread, I'm thinking I might have to raise my value up from the $10K I currently have it at.
Dave_Darling
Repairing similar damage to my car (replacing the rear panel, straightening the trunk floor, I forget if the rear lid was replaced or straightened, new-used bumper, straightening inner and outer fenders) was around $3K on my car about 6-8 years ago. It would be more now, and "badly faded fifteenth repaint of Olympic Blue" is a lot easier to match than Aubergine.

Just a data point for you.

--DD
redshift
O U C H!

I am looking to trade off my chrome bumpers for fiberglass, and money... maybe someone else needs a front?

Yikes dood! Sorry!

M
John
Can he open the rear trunk and take pics?

I am wondering how bad the trunk floor is.

Is the front end damaged as well?
2-OH!
Rusty:

I was just about to enter a sell ad in the classified section...But, I have a 73 rear chrome that looks great...straight as an arrow, no dents, no holes for the bumper guards, very, very nice chrome...Tiny, tiny (320 grit size, very small area along lower inside edge) surface rust on the back side ...Exterior surface is perfect (for a 33 year old chrome bumper)...And the best part, It has a chrome butt plug in it...Rubber pad did not live, had to be put down...

I went body color with another set...

My son is home polishing it up for pics as we speak...Gonna offer it to club members first ...No takers...Then off to EBay...

PM me or I'll post on classified if your not interested...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.