Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to run wiring to power 220v welder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
I thought I had a seen a thread on here before but could not find it headbang.gif

I need to do some wiring for 220v, it will be used for a welder....appreciate any help/diagrams.
So.Cal.914
Single phase or three phase 220?
jd74914
220 is to my knowledge always single phase. Ifs it triple phase he might have a problem. biggrin.gif
914_1.8t
1 phase
jd74914
You are going to need to put another breaker in your box in order to run a completely independent plug. The welder's manual should tell you how many amps is required (ours has a 50Amp breaker).

Then you need to run 8g IIRC wire (i think we used 6 to be safe actually) to a breakout box with the special plug (which you can get @ home depot). Then it just gets wire like any other circuit.

We put the plug relatively close the the panel (we have a separate panel in the garage, idk if you do), and then made a heavy gauge extension cord to move around the garage with.

Disclaimer: No liscenced electricians touched this setup (my dad and I wired our whole garage), but it works great.

Hopefully that helps somewhat smile.gif
914_1.8t
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:35 PM) *

You are going to need to put another breaker in your box in order to run a completely independent plug. The welder's manual should tell you how many amps is required (ours has a 50Amp breaker).

Then you need to run 8g IIRC wire (i think we used 6 to be safe actually) to a breakout box with the special plug (which you can get @ home depot). Then it just gets wire like any other circuit.

We put the plug relatively close the the panel (we have a separate panel in the garage, idk if you do), and then made a heavy gauge extension cord to move around the garage with.

Disclaimer: No liscenced electricians touched this setup (my dad and I wired our whole garage), but it works great.

Hopefully that helps somewhat smile.gif

Any diagrams on how to wire this...I have one breaker in my panel that does not appear to be used...do I need two?

The welder requires 208-230V 54A .... so I guess that 60A.
jd74914
Yeah, you need 60 amp then. Sorry, I don't have any diagrams. My 50A is a big breaker, but its still a single. I bet you could find a single 60A (I don't know tho, I've never actually seem one).

Once you get the breaker in the have to connect the power leads to the breaker, a ground onto the bar (at the top or bottom of the box usually, I can't think of the real name), and then a neutral if you have a gfi type plug.

I can look tomorrow for you if you want.
914_1.8t
Thanks for the info...it helps.

I'll go by HD tomorrow and see what they have.
jd74914
Cool, Sorry I can't help more, its late out here and my brain is failing me.
So.Cal.914
On single phase 220 you should use a dedicated 220 breaker. If you have an

electric dryer or another high amp draw appliance, look at your breaker panel

where the breaker is for that appliance.

First electricty kills, so if you do not have a main pull to deenergize the panel don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. That said,

Get the make and part # of the breaker and the panel (not all breakers are the

same depends on panel) pick one up at the hardware store.( Check in manuel for

max amp draw of welder) Place in panel with other 220 single phase breakers(check with meter, make sure you have 220), If

you are going to run a extention cord to work area, remove a KO (knock out ) at

the bottem of panel and put in a chase nipple ( hardware store) and run the cord

(make sure cord is rated for your max amp draw) up into the panel. You

should have three wires, one black (hot) one green (ground) and one white

( neutral) hook up ground on to the ground bus(seperate bar with green wires). Hook up neutral to the neutral

bus( seperate bar with white wires) and hook up hot to the breaker. (LAST) BE FUCHEN CAREFUL!

And jd74914 yes there is three phase 220, two 110 breakers a neutral and a ground.
If you have a problem PM me I will be glad to talk you thru it.
Dr. Roger
yep, my electrician wired 2 110 circuits and 2 30A breakers to get a 220V 60A dryer outlet.

i can weld all day and it never has blown. =-)

if i were you i'd call one of my electrician buddies and offer a case or two of his favorite bubbly for a quick 220V circuit wired down to the garage. or just hire a professional. you won't sweat the first time you use the outlet.... LOL

ps, i made my own 220V extension cord using home depot's thickest cable. no heat is created in the wire, ever.
draperjojo
You may want to look for the same manufacturer for the breaker that made the panel. EVEN though other mfg's spent hundreds of thousands of dollars so that their equipment would interchange and snap in. Local inspectors around here are telling us that even though the breakers fit into the panels, they aren't "UL" listed to run together............The breaker for your panel may have a single switch on it, but it needs to take up 2 spaces in the panel. In a single phase panel the phase legs alternate in the buswork. If this is in your home garage its pretty easy as long as you have the space in your panel and don't have to juggle things around. If you put a voltmeter lead on one of the bus bars and the other on the neutral or ground bar you should read 120V. If you put the leads on adjacent bus bars the meter should read 240V. So your welder,electric water heater,dryer,range,a/c breakers will take up 2 spaces where all of the rest are usually just taking up one space. Home Depot usually has demos or examples of wiring in their electrical aisle. Be careful though, electricity sometimes isn't very forgiving.
914_1.8t
Thanks everyone for the info...I was able to get a double slot breaker that has 1 240V 50a and 2 110v 20a outputs...I replaced my one unused breaker and one used breaker and got the welder working.
So.Cal.914
clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.