Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump relay problems? or is it somthing else
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
we ran a wire to the fuel pump to get it to work today... the pump works fine...there is no power running to the pump...what should i be looking for as far as trouble shooting power to the pump....relay? relay board?...other sugestions
Dr Evil
Hey Pete,
Yup, you have a relay on the circuit board that you can check. Swap it with one from your head lights to check it. Also, FYI, the AAR and heater blower in the engine compartment all get their powere from the same circuit on the board so if one of those is shorting to the case you will not get any power and you will likely get blown FP fuses. If no blown fuses I would suspect the relay on the board.
Gint
There is also a fuse on the relay board (in addition to the relay) that is required for the pump to run.
rhodyguy
i forget. carbs or fi? a.m. pump-use andy's jump wire trick in the classic forum. relay and fuse on the engine relay board must be serviceable.

k
pete-stevers
if it is a relay ..which one is the fuel pump relay?
brp914
if you view them as front-to-back, the pump relay is the middle one. the rearmost is for the heater. the frontmost is for the ecu. I've also had problems with corrosion on the pump fuse. pop that thing out and clean the fuse and board.
rhodyguy
look on p128 of your haynes. fig.9.21, item 12. double check the big fuse and ensure the holding tangs are clean. carbs or fi?

k
mrobin
hi
i had this same problem, i switched the realay with one from another circuit and nothing...still didn't work.

i put in a brand new realay........whoooola it worked.

just thought i'd pass that on.
Dave_Darling
Carbs, L-jet, or D-jet? They each run the fuel pump differently.

L-jet uses the "dual relay" hanging off the relay board to power the pump. D-jet uses one of the round relays on the relay board, as the folks above have been suggesting. Carbs use... Well, they use whatever the heck the person who did the carb conversion felt like using!

If you have D-jet, there are two excellent troubleshooting guides for your fuel pump.
http://www.914fan.net/fuelpump.html -- A text troubleshooting guide
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders -- Look for the "fuel pump troubleshooting" link; these will be graphical flowcharts you can follow.

--DD
rhodyguy
thanks for posting those links dave. a little thread with them in it, in the "classics", might be something to consider for easy access (but then we wouldn't have the joy of multipage fi prob threads). i wonder how many people actually read that wealth of material?

k

pete-stevers
i am running cis with a big pump ......
pete-stevers
thanks dave!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.