Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who uses the hy-torque mini starter on their V8 SBC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
Ebay or is there a better place to get one?

Do you get the SBC or the Porsche compatible one?

Thanks!! piratenanner.gif
Dr. Roger
this is what's in there now....

a chevy truck starter with alloy adaptor plate to rotate starter a bit and space it back off the transaxle.

i installed the spacer back on this starter to limit the starter gear "throw" and it still sticks soooooooo
i need a new one. time for an upgrade. oh yea', i tried a new soldenoid too..... nothing helped.
GWN7
I have this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911...sspagenameZWDVW

works good, fast shipping
Dr. Roger
Bruce, is your adaptor setup the same as mine???
wbergtho
I got mine of E-Bay. It is a rebuilt unit...works great! I think it was about $110

Bill
GWN7
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 8 2006, 11:57 PM) *

Bruce, is your adaptor setup the same as mine???

Yes, it looks the same Kennedy/Renegade one?
wbergtho
Hey Dr. Roger,

How do the twinkling lights of SFO look on a fine summer night?
I remember you said you live close to the Golden Gate bridge. Wish I could spend a weekend there again with the wife...beautiful city!

Bill
propricer
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Jun 9 2006, 12:27 AM) *

Hey Dr. Roger,

I remember you said you live close to the Golden Gate bridge. Wish I could spend a weekend there again with the wife...beautiful city!

Bill

Bought the $109 special off of ebay ... after the 10th start, it literally disintegrated and I had to pull the transmission to get all the pieces out. Cost me a new ring gear, time & money of pulling the transmission and, of course, a new starter.

Manufacturer refunded my money with no hassle and tried to square the deal but not to my satisfaction ... I wanted him to put a notice in his ads to not use the starter in a V8 application.

Problem is that the front dog gear is not one solid piece and will not tolerate heavy torque. Suggest you go with an SR68X or the one from Performance Products.

If interested, I have detailed pix.

Good luck ... ed.ducey@gmail.com
aircooledboy
Funny you should ask. I had the pleasure of having my starter rebuilt just Monday. dry.gif The Renegade unit is actually a stock Mitsubishi unit with a billit adapter plate screwed to the front. I wasn't that happy that the thing crapped out after 3 years of 6months/year driving, but I was happy that the rebuilder had the parts on hand due to it being a stock unit, so I only spent $50, and had it back 4 hours later.

Renegade gets a pretty good chunk o'cash for the starter ($239), and the mitsu unit is only about $125, but without that adapter plate, you are screwed. $100/ unit for the R&D seems reasonable to me, I'd just get it from Renegade. confused24.gif
skline
I think mine is an IMI unit. I got it with an engine I bought a few years back and it seems to work just fine. It looks like the one on Ebay. I have had it for a few years now and never had a problem
Dr. Roger

Hey Dr. Roger,

Bill

Hey Bill,
I can't really see "The City" from my house. If I walk down to the water I get a great view of Marin County, Angel Island, and parts north. =-) Point Pinole is in the way of San Fran.

I was just up at "The Wall" on Grizzly Peak Blvd. in Berkeley hills. Now that's a view of San Fran! Warm summer nights make the lights shimmer and that warm breeze coming from below is inspiring.

Looks like I'll give the Ebay starter a try and I'll cross my fingers... =-)
Any problems and I'll report findings back to the limited liability corporation. LOL
Andyrew
I have a high tq starter...

Oddly enough at my flaps, a guy said it looked just like a toyota starter... we put them side by side, and the gear size was the only difference....

Andrew

I've always had it crank good for me.
wbergtho
Andyrew,

Interesting...the Toyota starter looks exactly the same with the exception of the bendix gear? Hmmm....If a guy could get his hands on the correct gear and hopefully install it properly....you might be able to produce your own for much less....however, $109 on Ebay solves all your problems I guess.

So far so good with my Ebay starter. I've been having good luck with it...time will tell.

Bill
Andyrew
Ya, the starter was about 80 bucks...

I wont really bother with "reproducing" it...

I'll be using a stock v8 starter with my 915 setup.. so I might go lightweight.
GS Guy
Guy on The Samba has the "real" IMI starters for a buck-fifty. Best price I've seen for the real thing. Not much more than the "off-shore" version from ebay....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=105487

Jeff
HIPERFORMANCEUSA
WTF.gif
QUOTE(propricer @ Jun 9 2006, 07:17 AM) *

Hey Dr. Roger,

Bill

Bought the $109 special off of ebay ... after the 10th start, it literally disintegrated and I had to pull the transmission to get all the pieces out. Cost me a new ring gear, time & money of pulling the transmission and, of course, a new starter.

Manufacturer refunded my money with no hassle and tried to square the deal but not to my satisfaction ... I wanted him to put a notice in his ads to not use the starter in a V8 application.

Problem is that the front dog gear is not one solid piece and will not tolerate heavy torque. Suggest you go with an SR68X or the one from Performance Products.

If interested, I have detailed pix.

Good luck ... ed.ducey@gmail.com

WTF.gif
I'm the mfg. of the one Ed bought. Ed doesn't finish telling the story of the replacement unit I sent him. I sent him an original IMI which has a thinner "dog ear" than mine. Yes, I refunded him his money because i felt bad for him, but after he tried putting the screws to me for more money, i realized this was more of a con than a legitimate problem. My starter is proven in the field for years. smiley_notworthy.gif
HIPERFORMANCEUSA
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jun 10 2006, 04:38 AM) *

Guy on The Samba has the "real" IMI starters for a buck-fifty. Best price I've seen for the real thing. Not much more than the "off-shore" version from ebay....

Jeff

dead horse.gif
Hi,
Not an off-shore unit. Those don't last. Mine is Original Nippondenso with heat treated material. Better than IMI for the buck. smiley_notworthy.gif
propricer
QUOTE(HIPERFORMANCEUSA @ Jul 31 2006, 08:56 PM) *

QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jun 10 2006, 04:38 AM) *

Jeff

dead horse.gif
Hi,
Not an off-shore unit. Those don't last. Mine is Original Nippondenso with heat treated material. Better than IMI for the buck. smiley_notworthy.gif

If I was trying to con you and make money, why would I return the brand new $ 150 starter that you insisted I keep at no charge ... at my own shipping expense. Yup, that sure is the way people try to extort others !!!
neo914-6
I like my Renegade starter ut have only started the car ~dozen times so far... biggrin.gif

I initially ran a 10GA wire to power it and smoked it, LOL! laugh.gif
Dr. Roger
felix, you are a wild man.... LOL 10GA???

Feedback on the Ebay mini-starter:

the ebay special is working like a champ and turns the 9.5/1 compression SBC over quickly and without hesitation.

i take Bebe out about 4-5 days a week and have >100 starts on it. no problems at all.

rktmn247
[i take Bebe out about 4-5 days a week and have >100 starts on it. no problems at all.
[/quote]

Time for you to make a new in-car vid! LOL

Love your car and would really like to see some more of it! Keep up the good work! beer.gif
John G
I bought the one on ebay titled PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930 IMI

Seller's name is highperformanceusa.

Price was $119 shipped.

Shipping was EXTREMELY fast, and the starter works great!

John
turboman808
QUOTE(John G @ Aug 1 2006, 08:39 AM) *

I bought the one on ebay titled PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930 IMI

Seller's name is highperformanceusa.

Price was $119 shipped.

Shipping was EXTREMELY fast, and the starter works great!

John

Just bought the same one for my 6. I hopes it works well.
cobra94563
ME too, for a v8 application..see how it works!
Dr. Roger
[quote name='rktmn247' date='Aug 1 2006, 12:21 AM' post='742788']
[i take Bebe out about 4-5 days a week and have >100 starts on it. no problems at all.
[/quote]

Time for you to make a new in-car vid! LOL

Love your car and would really like to see some more of it! Keep up the good work! beer.gif
[/quote]

Wow, thanks. =-)

I will record more video probably this weekend. I had to take her out last night to get some tune up parts (silicone plug wires do not like hot headers) =-P

now i'm kinda' thinking i should have installed one of my backup tranny's and tried to blow it up rather that install my flipped H new tranny.

I'll post it fer shure! driving.gif
cobra94563
how hard was it to flip the H gear in the tranny or how much$ if you had it done?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.