Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Guys... Guess what I've got.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
alpha434
Alright, men. Here's your first clue.

It's got 6 pistons. HAZZA!
Rand
A Detroit basketball team?

Hey, it's good to see you back here in the garage. I think ph34r.gif

Don't let AAron or Troy scare you away this time! poke.gif

You gotsa 6 pack? Sweet. What are the rods made of? laugh.gif

Ok, I bit, now spill it! beerchug.gif
Gint
Oh goodie! Games.

Caliper.
Rusty
6 pustules? VD?
Mark Henry
A size 7 poop chute?
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 9 2006, 08:07 AM) *

6 pustules? VD?

Damn, I was going to make a "This thread is worthless without VD jokes" smiley, but you beat me to the joke...
Rusty
Hmmm... six pistons...

a gaggle of used lawnmower engines?
nomore9one4
av-943.gif
WRX914
You bought a damn nice car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chrysler-LeBaron-89-ch...1QQcmdZViewItem
Eric_Shea
Herpies?
GWN7
two John Deere tractors?

A 230 cu in Chevy?
BMITCHELL
Two stage air compressor?
boxstr
Athletes foot...
CCLINDESENEX
Chris Pincetich
An ultra rare, super tuned, RS spec, Euro race, triple plug motor from a top secret Porsche prototype race car that was only driven once because of a minor patent infringement on the head porting specs?????

OR an old carboard box with six loose and greasy pistons!

Dude - enuf games lets get to the 914 nittt gritty - I'm ready to absorb some race inspired ideas and laff at all the humorous comments beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
lol

VD jokes rock
Gint
I told y'all already...

...caliper

And probably herpes too. I hear the kid might actually have a girlfriend.
mudfoot76
IIRC, he does have a sister....if he lived in Kentucky that would be the same as having a girlfriend. laugh.gif

The herpes would be thrown in for free I suppose...
alpha434
[QUOTE]An ultra rare, super tuned, RS spec, Euro race, triple plug motor from a top secret Porsche prototype race car that was only driven once because of a minor patent infringement on the head porting specs/[QUOTE]

Yep. I've had one of those since forever.

Ginter won. I shouldn't post any pictures of them because of all the herpes jokes and girlfriend jokes and VD jokes, but I've been working on them for a month and I really want to show them off. So... Here's the deal. I hope that you all get exotic skin eating bacteria that only eats the skin immediately around your rectum. And I'm going to post pictures and just trust that you guys will aquire this disease in exchange.
alpha434
Alright, guys. Here they come.

One and a half pounds.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here's a few in process shots. The pistons are made of Alpha Titanium.
IPB Image

IPB Image
TROJANMAN
pretty wub.gif

MattR
Impressive

nice work chris!

What are they for?
alpha434
My 914.
Aaron Cox
drool
tdgray
Ok I'm lost...

How do those cure his VD... or was it crabs confused24.gif
KevinP
Ok Alpha,

How much ya got tied up in Ti ? You CNC those?

KP
alpha434
Yeah. those two "in process" ptictures are of me CNC machining them.

I have about 45 dollars in material into these and another 15 dollars in hardware. And about 20 hours of labor. 20X22.5=450+60=$510.

The body is high-grade T-6 661 aluminum. The pistons are Alpha Ti.
alpha434
Anyway. I couldn't manufacture these. these are one-offs for my car only. To have someone else make them would cost incredible amounts.

Machinine costs: at least $60/hour
Material: (The same) $60
Plus setup costs + tooling: (approx) $100

Adds up really fast, and I don't have money for startup on something that big.
MattR
Whats the piston size?

Did you design it to off the shelf pads?
turboman808
That is so sick. Wish I could do that kinda stuff sad.gif
alpha434
The pistons are progressively sized in 5mm increments. 20-30. The pads are a wide motorcycle pad that are readily available at a very low price with ceramic backs and whatnot.
alpha434
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 9 2006, 01:11 PM) *

That is so sick. Wish I could do that kinda stuff sad.gif

5 times the skill base to compete with ten times my pocketbook. I live by that rule.
mudfoot76
Very nice work!!

Will those bolt up like stock, or do you have to make other modifications to the car to fit those lovely calipers?
alpha434
These ones are made to fit my modified hubs. But the bolt spacing is 3.5 inches and they will fit stock with no problems.
nebreitling
looks cool, i'm just wondering what the purpose was -- trying to lose a little unsprung weight? what rotors?
alpha434
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 9 2006, 04:02 PM) *

looks cool, i'm just wondering what the purpose was -- trying to lose a little unsprung weight? what rotors?

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! ARGH!!!

Yes. Unsprung weight was the plan. And the rotors are top secret. But in the end, I will have shaved of 20+lbs per wheel.
effutuo101
Nice! Why do I find myself lusting after shiny objects of high grade aluminum? Am I the only person with this sickness?
MecGen
Hey

Sweet smilie_pokal.gif

Later

beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
so the mount is on one end, and the caliper is cantilevered off of that?
Mueller
have you done any analysis on those? I'd be worried of caliper failure due to the leverage of the mounting bolts (to the strut) being offset so far from the pistons....hopefully they'll work fine, it just seems that they'll flex every time you slam on the brakes...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 9 2006, 07:27 PM) *

have you done any analysis on those? I'd be worried of caliper failure due to the leverage of the mounting bolts (to the strut) being offset so far from the pistons....hopefully they'll work fine, it just seems that they'll flex every time you slam on the brakes...

tahts where i was going with it....
majkos
Very impressive work Chris! aktion035.gif

Can I try 'em on the State Troopers track event coming up in a couple week!?
really test 'em out! smilie_pokal.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 9 2006, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 9 2006, 07:27 PM) *

tahts where i was going with it....

they do look pretty damn nice otherwise...I do know some on the highend sport bikes use calipers that are cantileverd such as these so it is done...
MattR
mike, are you worried about shearing the bolts? Or deflecting 1/2" thick aluminum? Either way, I would say he's safe. Theres a lot of material there...
alpha434
They are far sturdier that 911s calipers. And if I have to make myself a new pair every 4 years. Then I can. HA!

Now. Let me explain the advantage of having the caliper mounted in that fashion. It's at an angle. The smallest piston make contact right on the outer edge or the brake disk. And it pushes out with the least bit of initial pressure. Nex, the 25 caliper pushes out and it over laps a little with the contact area of the first piston, but when it pushes out, the both pistons are right in the middle of the pressure range. Then the largest piston kicks out closer to the center and all the pistons are at high pressure. All of this is tunable to some extent. I can control what ratio of pressure the slave cylinder experiances in comparison to the master and the 3 pistons will remain evenly spaced on the pressure range. It's a very complex design, but I cannot show you the internals.

Kevin. You got 2500$, you can have them before the Stat. Patrol track day. I need to do some serious prep work to get these into my car. The calipers are just one piece of a revamped brake system. AND. Now you guys know why I haven't been around in a while.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Jun 10 2006, 10:42 AM) *

The calipers are just one piece of a revamped brake system. AND. Now you guys know why I haven't been around in a while.

Maybe we should have him build us all a set! av-943.gif
BIGKAT_83
Looks like a off the shelf set of Performance Machine calibers for a motorcycle to me.............. bs.gif

Bob
Katmanken
Alpha,

Ya got some 'splainin to do....

Hydraulics work off of pressure. The bigger the piston, the larger the area. When you pressurize a hydraulic system, the entire system has the same pressure.

Since the smallest pistom has the smallest area, it experiences the least push out force (pressure x smallest area). Since the largest piston has the largest area, it experiences the greatest push out force (pressure x largest area). The rectangular O-rings play a part too but I won't go into that. Friction is not area dependent.

Now, given the description of smallest piston moving first, I'm having a problem... How would that work?

Ken

alpha434
Seperate chambers. At the same pressure, the smallest piston moves the most. In reality they all actually move at the same time, just at different speeds. The small piston makes contact first.
Katmanken
Thanks,

Three chambers in the brake master cylinder?

I could see the smaller piston moving first if the square o-ring was much thinner and easier to deflect than the larger o-rings..

Ken
fiid
The smallest one will move fastest with any given displacement, but the largest one will have the highest mechanical advantage.

Regardless of that - why would you want consistently uneven pad wear? Is this a common practice on mutipiston calipers?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.