Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Header Clearances
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I have a set of European Racing headers (George Narbel).

Mine are 1-5/8" and are the short variety with the stub extensions at the end. Our old European Racing headers were full length.

My questions are:

How much clearance do you have between things like the exhaust valve covers to the closest header tube (both driver side and passenger side)?

How much clearance do you have between the oil feed line and the closest header tube?

Our old headers have a bunch of clearance (over 1"), but these newer headers (new in December) don't have much clearance. The passenger side when bolted up only has 1/4"-3/8" clearance between the passenger side exhaust valve cover and the closest tube, and the driver side has maybe 1/2"-5/8" clearance between the closest tube and the oil feed line.

One thing I did so far was to draw up and order some 1/2" thick exhaust flange spacers to space the headers away from the heads by an additional 1/2". When added to the existing flanges, these will more closely match the factory exhaust flange thickness.

I pick up my spacers at noon on Friday and will try them out Friday evening. I'll post pics when I get them temporarily bolted up.

Does anyone else think my clearances are too tight?

ChicagoPete
I have the same exact headers installed on my car. Purchased them sometime last fall. Funny thing is, the guy who built my car was displeased with their quality! When he first installed them they weren't lining up even at the exit. They required alot of fiddling to get right? I don't remember the full story, but, I do remember he wasn't happy with them...as they are just supposed to be plug and play.

Here's the best shot of how they look installed on my car...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.