Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TPS replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
are there any things to watch out for on this..... it seems to be a un plug.. unscrew the mounting points and replace teh same ... is this right .. the haynes manual is vauge on the importance of the postioning of the part ..

any info?
rmital
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Jun 9 2006, 06:01 AM) *

.. the haynes manual is vauge

was just discussing that with another cluber about 20 minutes ago...could'nt find much on the TPS in haynes...
toon1
there is a resistance measurement that needs to be taken. If the TPS does not reurn to a certain posistion it will continue to richen the fuel. It basically acts as a accell. pump.

Pelican parts has an artical on how to replace it. It's easy.
sk8kat1
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jun 9 2006, 06:13 AM) *

there is a resistance measurement that needs to be taken. If the TPS does not reurn to a certain posistion it will continue to richen the fuel. It basically acts as a accell. pump.

Pelican parts has an artical on how to replace it. It's easy.

that explains the crappy gas milage ... but the article I found was calibrating it ... is it ok to just get it pretty close in comparison to the old one if you don't have an ohm meter ?
srb7f
Not really. You need to be certain that you have conductivity between the correct terminals while the throttle is in the closed (idle) position.

I bought a cheapo ohm meter for maybe $20 at radio shack and it's worked great for the past 6 years. One of those things you'll find a use for after you have it.

Even a test bulb with a battery would work to rig up a test circuit, as the only readings you need to know are conductance vs. open circuit which would be bulb illuminated, or bulb out.
Howard
I'm sure the experts will rip me here, but with the key on, twist TPS slowly clockwise until you hear the contacts click. Turn it one small skosh more. Seems to work every time.
sk8kat1
it was requested to post the PP link ....PP TPS cal link
sk8kat1
so is it worth see if the TPS just needs to be adj ..or should I just replace it with the spare I have?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.