Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zellwood, Florida and trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eldiosyeldiablo
1) Is anyone near Zellwood, Florida?

2) Where can I rent a trailer (all four wheels) to tow a 914? Do any of the rental companies allow you to tow their trialers with your own vehicle?

Is a trailer that leaves two rear wheels on the ground ok to tow a 914? Traveling distance is 442.73 miles

confused24.gif

-David
Early '85 944 for sale (www.deadelfmusic.com/914/944)
Wanting a 914
Qarl
Yes. you can tow a 914 with a two-wheel dolly. I have seen a few towed behind trailer homes. Be sure to leave it in neutral and the parking brake off.

I am not sure about renting a 4-wheel trailer. I have never looked into it.

Zellwood is about 45 minutes outside of the main part of Orlando, so check around here (U-haul, etc.).

Or you could just drive it back.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Regards,

Karl
jonwatts
be sure to check the car for corn under the battery tray before you buy it laugh.gif (Zellwood is known around the area for growing corn).

Yes you can rent full trailers but they tend to weigh a ton, then again, you should be on mainly flat roads so it shouldn't matter.
Qarl
Yes... Zellwood has great sweet corn. The have an annual festival. IT's like $20 for all the corn you can eat. I think you get some BBQ too.

Anways... considering that you can sometimes get like 5 or 10 ears for $1.00 during prime season, it's not that good a deal.

You'd have to eat a shitload of corn to get your moneys worth. Speaking of shit and corn... well I won't gp there. Just think what eating 100 ears of corn ($20 worth) would do!
Qarl
Another idea... rent a car, drive it down. If you buy the car, drive IT back and return the car here. If the car doesn't work out, drive it back to Atlanta.
Qarl
I would be able to inspect the car further (and take photos) no earlier than October 7th.

I am really slammed at work this week and through Monday for a large conference.

PM or e-mail me if I can help after this coming weekend.
GWN7
I've used a tow dolly, several times to tow teeners 1000's of miles with out any problems. Nevada, Dallas and Tennessee all came home on the back of a dolly.

Kellzey's idea is the best and most fun. Drive it home if you can.
Qarl
http://www.uhaul.com/towing/
machina
In may I drove up to melbourne, FL to pick up my 914. Rented a u-haul trailer there and towed it back with my Yukon.

The trailer was very heavy and I had to use my own tie-downs. The tie down system on the trailer won't work with a 914. Also, the flange on the tire decks rubbed a little on the lower chassis. The car is lowered a bit. If yours is really low it will be a problem.

Next day I returned the trailer here in miami.

dr
seanery
I've used UHauls with a 914 before without a problem. Front wheel straps fit fine and if you know that the driver's side fender of the trailer moves its easy to get in and out.

I do agree with the comment about lowered cars, however, they will rub.
d914
if you have a tow vehicle you can use my flat bead car hauler.

I live in kennesaw.
-P-
I have used the U-haul Auto Transports in the past. They will let you use your own vehicle as long as it will tow it. Its about 2000lbs for the trailer + ~2000 for the 914 so make sure you have a big truck.
ein 6er
a funny thing about the zellwood corn fest. the corn is boiled in huge pots of water. that boiled water is the makings of corn mash, for making moonshine!! i saw on the local news that agents from the ATF are there to make sure all of the mash is disposed of!!

hey synthesisdv, how the heck did you find a 914 in melbourne?? i've only seen a couple around here.
machina
QUOTE(ein 6er @ Sep 30 2003, 09:45 PM)
hey synthesisdv, how the heck did you find a 914 in melbourne?? i've only seen a couple around here.

actually it was in rockledge, about 12 miles north of melbourne. The owner was gregg lowdermilk. He was the past president of the PCA chapter there.

He owned the car about 15 years. Family has 911 racecar and 944 turbo track car. Nice people.

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.