Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wheel bearing....?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tesserra
I have noise that I think is the rt rear wheel bearing.
It sounds like the brake is hanging up but it does not go away when you apply the brakes.
Scrapeing sound that increases frequency when the car increases speed.

Assuming it is the wheel bering:
What will happen if I let this go and it completly fails?
Will it just get louder?
Will the wheel fall off?
Will it cost a lot more ?

The CVs have been replaced recently and are the upgraded Bus type for the V8.
Brad did it when he was up here.

I just want opinions on how urgent this could be?

George

GeorgeRud
The bearing should just get louder and scrape more, but I'd be suspect if you just replaced the CVs, etc. if something else is hanging up. The bearings do go bad, but the coincidence that it would happen right after something elso was replaced seems fishy. You can also check your pad clearances on the rear brake pads. The handbrake mechanism's correct funtioning does require a certain clearance on the pads which have to be manually set with the setscrews on the rear calipers. Happy hunting!
brp914
it is bad. I had a dragging rear brake once and it toasted the caliper seals. another time I forgot to put the cotter pin on the 30mm rear axle stub nut. the 30mm nut slowly backed out over time and the bearing wallowed out the bore in the trailing arm. expensive mistake. slap.gif

definately find out whats wrong before it multiplies.
Brad Roberts
Umm. replacing the CV/axles has NOTHING to do with the wheel bearings.

Who know's how long those wheel bearings have been in the car?

The cars that I have autox'd and tracked needed wheel bearings once a year. I know you dont autoX it that often, but you do weigh more than any of my 4cyl cars.

Dont run on it very long. It will wipe out the drive flange and the stub axle if you continue to drive on it.

The wheel bearings can be a pain in the ass to change out.

B
tesserra
I never meant to imply that CV s have anything to do with rear wheel bearings. I mentioned it to sort of eliminate that from the possiblities.

I really do not think it is the brakes draging.

It sounds a lot like the heat shield on the brakes is dragging, but the bearing also makes a moaning noise when you are driving straight, the moaning noise goes away when you turn and load the rt side.
I was concerned because the scraping noise is new and I thought it may be the bearing getting worse.

Brad, I only mentioned you changed the CVs to show they were done right.

George
Dr Evil
Because I can not hear it myself I cant say for sure, but could it possibly be the differential bearing on that side of the tranz? I had one keep me guessing once.
Stieve
Check you brake backing sheet metal to see if it's hitting your rotor, also look for hot scuff marks on your rotor. Remove and inspect the easy stuff before assuming and spending. PM me if you want to talk. I use to race Porsches for 8 years. I also restore cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.