Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Caompartment Insulation Pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
Does anyone have a reasonable source for the Engine Compartment Insulation Pad? Mine is 72, so it doesn't have one, but I could use the sound deadening. I would prefer the original style, reproduction is OK, as long as it looks original.

-Matt
mharrison
What do you know, you can't edit the Topic of your post and correct the spelling of compartment!!!
Bleyseng
I wouldn't use the same crap Porsche did as it can rot out the firewall when it gets wet. Lots of other products that are better. Others will chime in with their ideas. Me, I took the crap out and repainted everything nice and purdy.

Geoff
Mueller
you can delete your own post and start over smile.gif

I've seen one car that the owner used the inside
sound deadening pad in the engine compartment, looked great....in fact you didn't know it was there until he pointed it out since it was so flat against the wall and painted to match the rest of the compartment
Charles Deutsch
This stuff might work http://www.designengineering.com/floor_and...nel_shield.html .
SirAndy
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Sep 29 2003, 09:04 PM)

heat shield, not sound shield ...
Charles Deutsch
Ok, then try this http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/itemdy00.as...1.x=102&I1.y=32 .
914werke
Got to agree with Goeff, pulled the OE pad out of my 74 and revealed 30yrs of needles, crap and enough surface rust that once the wire brush was through I had a couple of sizable holes. Fortunatly I found a NOS firewall on eveil bay smilie_pokal.gif
I've seen one car that the owner used the inside
sound deadening pad in the engine compartment, looked great....

I was thinking of doing just that!..cool clap56.gif
sj914
I just ripped mine right out, I forgot how heavy they were and found all kinds of shit behind. Good thing there wasn't any rust, just alot of glue that didn't quiet work. Just leave it off I don't think it makes whole lot of difference.
seanery
I agree with everyone else, leave it off. Neither of my cars have them. They weigh damn near 40 pounds IIRC.
rhodyguy
figure a used stock one is full of acid just like your old one. but you will get the joy of tearing it out again. i'm with geoff on this one. when i did mine in silver it made for a BRIGHT engine compartment.

kevin
914NNP
AA's got reproductions. Check it out.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/action.lasso?-d...D=39444&-search
alphacrimedog
Not all years had them? My 72 is sans pad. I just thought the PO removed it. You learn something everyday in here.[B][SIZE=7][SIZE=7] aktion035.gif
mharrison
I'm glad that AA sells them. Do you know of anyone who HAS THEM and will SHIP THEM after they get their money?
914NNP
I don't know if AA has this part in stock, I didn't call them.
I'm aware of AA's reputation but I have bought several parts from them over the last two years that no one else had.
silver six
I bought the AA part without hassle. I think my experience might be the exception not the rule. That said, I really like the pad. It's really not that heavy: maybe 10 to 15 pounds total. And it really does help reduce sound. By the way, on the interrior side of the firewall I installed the stock backpad and the rubber sheet that goes under the back pad. Now that shit is heavy. I would say that the rubber sheet alone is probably 20 to 25 pounds. And the back pad is probably another 20 to 25 pounds. Personally, I don't mind the weight because the sound issue for me is way more important. Less sound is more better.

The AA insulator is a two part kit. Under the pad is a sheet of Dynamat asphalt sheeting. It comes in two parts, left and right. Then over that you apply the foam pad that you see in the picture link above. For the $175, you get both parts.

It was my experience that you need to trim both parts (the Dynamat and the foam pad) to get them to fit well. Do many dry runs until you're sure the pads will fit and only then take off the backing to expose the sticky side. Dealing with the Dynamat is especially tricky. Be sure to clean the firewall and then wipe it down with Acetone or some similar strong solvent. Also paint over any exposed metal you see with an ani-corrosion paint like Correless or some similar product.

I also found that trying to apply the whole foam pad at once and getting it straight was neary impossible (at least for one person). I found it more manageable to cut the foam pad in half so there was a left side and a right side. Also with the foam pad cut in two, it allowed for better fit around the contours of the firewall. As I say, do a few dry runs first and you will see what I mean. Good luck.

Douglas
Katmanken
How thick is the foam?

From your description, it sounds like the Dynamat is used as a panel damper like VW/Porshche did with the floors. The foam is the real sound absorber.

In another life, I had to silence those noisy dot matrix printers. What works is to place a mass between you and the noise and attach the mass to springs. The mass can act as a noise barrier and can be excited by the sound striking it. The springs allow the mass to vibrate and also dampen the mass and absorb sound energy.

First, attach a sheet of foam to the bulkhead. Next, attach a sheet of heavy mass to the foam and then attach another layer of foam on top of that. They sell that combo in sheets with a lead sheet layer or a lead/vinyl combo sandwitched between the foam layers and glue on one side. Cut with scissors, peel off the release layer and press into place. Sometimes a silver mylar film is on top to absorb high frequencies or act as an oil spatter shield.

We used Soundcoat products and I believe Dynamat sells something for cars too. Adding another sheet on the trunk bulkhead would be even better as 2 facing (or angled) dead layers work very well to absorb sound. smile.gif

Ken
Mueller
if you end up buying dynamat, Summit Racing has the best price I've seen
Aaron Cox
is there any spray on coating? like a rubberized thingy?
seanery
It's called Rhino Liner!!! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.