Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: See Pete. See Pete Get Slammed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Why you should never suggest that gayfight.gif might have paid too much. (oh, and why you never want to be a "public figure") biggrin.gif

http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?whichp...l+in+Excellence

blowup.gif

A friend with a cool old 356 (who will have nothing to do with clubs) asked me what forum I hang most on and I said this one. He laughed and said, "That's about right -- the cheaper the cars, the cooler the people."

And, the more I hang here, the more I think he's right on.

There, I feel much better now. pain30.gif

pete
Aaron Cox
you got banged on.... LOL

stick around smile.gif
Brad Roberts
I quickly determined: it is all about the money.

Do not show up to any newer type Porsche based BBS/Forum with ANY knowledge. Not long after your first post, they will ask you for sponsor money (because you must be a shop) how could you know anything about Porsches?? LOL

I'm not far from starting another Boxster site and possibly another Cayman Site where the advertisers dont RULE the roost.

What a bunch of BULLSHIT. You try and be nice. You try and educate people on their own cars. You show them how to do things at home.

I love our site.

B
914-8
What a bunch of approval-craving, thin skinned, Stuart Smalley weenies.

That was really pitiful.
Part Pricer

Pete, you rock! rocking nana.gif

I remember reading your editorial a couple of weeks back. I agreed with your position then as well as now.

You must have spent more time crafting your responses to their posts as you did writing your original article.

How is your metaphorical truck running? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
That article had nothing to do with the car and everything to do with P's pricing strategies (or lack thereof).

What a bunch of f-ing panty-liners. Seriously. Cancel the sub and buy wax for your Gayman?? Pa-lllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzze

I love the Cayman. I just don't think I could hang with those pinky benders for more than 2-seconds.
Demick
Hi Pete

I read your commentary, and about half way through that thread. Sales of the Cayman will tell the story in the long run. If they don't sell, then they were priced too high. I WISH they had placed the Cayman below the Boxster. At $40K, they would sure sell a lot of them.

But I think the pricing has more to do with the pricing of the 911 than the pricing of the Boxster. I like the Cayman better than the 911, so I look at the Cayman and say, man, why would anyone buy a 911 when you can get a Cayman for less? Porsche does not want too many people to think this. And so they are trying to keep the 911 sales up by pricing the Cayman at $60K. If the Cayman was priced at $40K, I think a LOT more would-be 911 buyers would choose a Cayman instead. This is the last thing Porsche wants. They would not have built the Cayman if they thought it would cannabalize 911 sales. So they have positioned it so that it should not have that effect. Not to mention, the profit margin on the Cayman at $60K is probably near the profit margin of the 911. So lost 911 sales are not a huge deal. But a $40K Cayman would not only cannabalize the 911 sales, but do it with a huge decrease in profit margin. Porsche would rather the Cayman be a flop than do that.

Demick
BigDBass
I don' like dose guyses at dat udder site. sad.gif
I like youse guyses. smile.gif
WRX914
Holy crap! That one guy (Kaisersozay) is a jackass... Imagine if he owned a 914! Hell, he would probably hemorage from the ears with all of the shit talking about our lil bastard child Porches. I would bet this years salary that this guy has the self esteem of a 5 year old and penis size to match.

Proudly signed,

Keith Wilson

...Hey Kaiser, piss off about the carriage return.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif that guys an angry little dick.
WRX914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 9 2006, 03:03 PM) *

agree.gif that guys an angry little dick.

Eric,

Nice work! You joined the Mile-high club ( 5280 posts ).

rick 918-S
WTF.gif None of what Kaisersozay posted made any sense. Not only is he awarded no points, but we are all dumber for have read that drivel. blink.gif

BTW: We had a thread on the Cay thing here when there was talk of the intoduction. I still say, Porsche dropped the ball on the styling. They had a blank peice of paper and could have gone any direction. Making a Boxster knockoff with a top is a cheap cop out. That lack of thinking outside the box and taking the short route, and the over pricing shows this car was all about the money. MHO Let the flames begin!
KaptKaos
Buy a Cayman now. Store it away. It is the modern day 914.
jimtab
Well...except for the lack of a removeable top...I have said it before and I will again, I think the cayman is the beginning of the end for the 911 series...taildraggers just dont make sense as much as mid-enging...look how much less flexable the chassis was made to be in the cayman because of the engine/trans location...and with equal power...no contest...just my .02
krazykonrad
Thanks yall for not being a bunch of pmsing fairies like the ones on that board! beerchug.gif
It goes to so why porsche needs to quit marketing luxury boats for the nouveau riche and get back to making cars for drivers!
Konrad 72/4
Eric_Shea
Nice work! You joined the Mile-high club ( 5280 posts ).

Woo Hoo! w00t.gif
bob174
What a bunch of whiney-arse, sniveling, you know whats. I didn't check out the rest of the forum, but I'll bet there aren't too many folks on there that maintain their own cars....

Hey Jim, was looking at member numbers and see that you beat me by 4 DAYS. Bastard. I guess when layoffs come around, I'll be out the door before you.

Crazyhippy
I love the guy who's biggest concern is the resale of his car.. I hope Porsche makes fewer, but they continue to do well in tests...

dont know why but my pinky's hurt just reading that site.

BJH
brer
I dont think they got the whole "Editorial" thing.
DNHunt
Poor Pete

I feel sorry for you man. You got the same reaction as a friend pointing out an imperfection in a another guys new girlfriend. Guys don't like that especially when the price of acquistion is kind of steep. Wait until the new girl gets a zit on the end of her nose or farts in public maybe they won't be so proud. Gawd, that first door ding is gonna hurt.

Damn right, I like my old broad, imperfections and all. And, she still spiffies up pretty well too.
TJB/914
Hey all,

Really enjoyed reading the Cayman forum. Cayman guys love their cars as much as we love our 914's. The difference is about $50K, ha, ha.

Funny thing though, I drive through the Porsche Dealers when traveling and noticed lots of un-sold Cayman's too. When it came out I was excited and now lost interest in the Cayman. My biggest gripe is Porsche pricing of extra's (options). They $1K you to death with things that should be standard. Looking at the other German car company MB & they are starting to package 2007 options with all the goodies like the Asian cars. I like German cars, but I don't like their nickle, dime pricing practice. Give me a loaded optioned car or I'll go elsewhere. My Porsche (German Car) rant is over.

Pete: Do your really drive a pickup truck??? The Cayman guys said so.

Tom

Thack
Some of those guys didn't see the point of the article and took it as a slam against a cool car. I went to the dealer to see the Cayman and wanted to see more. I had the same reaction as Pete's article. "Is this Cayman worth the extra money?" I consider the Boxster a little poshy but a good value. The Cayman S would have to step it up a bit better than that to get the $64K that I saw on the window sticker. Are they going to boost power in the future or lower it? Money says in the next few years there will be more power in the Cayman and have any bugs worked out. Remember the first year Boxster issues? The motors needing serious service at 30K miles? Not to mention the motor upgrade a few years later left the first year buyers jealous.
At my local dealer there are still '05 Cayennes near$100K and a lot of GT3s in the used section that look brand new. Who would trade in a GT3?
Hey Pete are you going to shut down that one thread where they scanned your article of the introduction of the Cayman? Did they get your permission to "reprint" it? That's copyright infringment, isn't it? Even the photos are copied. They also copied your editorial!
http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_...tle=Cayman+Chat
Eric_Shea
Pete: Do your really drive a pickup truck???

Of course Stout drives a pick up truck.

He's purported to have a 911, somewhere; but, it was only a recent acquisition, may not run, and it was probably given to him.

I just exchanged emails with "PGS"', I'm an insider now! I'm somebody. I've attempted to insult the man I've never met in an open forum.

He's the guy who buys the hat and thinks he belongs to the fraternity.

IT'S JUST A HAT PETE. bootyshake.gif

Signed

Kaiser-so-gay

w00t.gif
horizontally-opposed
Aw, them Cayman clubbers, they ain't all bad. beerchug.gif

You got to give them some credit -- to a member, they had the money to spend and DIDN'T buy the knee-jerk "I got a new Porsche" model (i.e., they aren't driving tail-draggers). They bought a non-911, and that says something in my book. Not that I don't like 996s and 997s... wub.gif

I just wish more people with 914-type attitudes and friendliness were driving them... I bet 914 drivers would be faster across the board than people who have only ever had the new cars. Like Brad says, learn how to drive a car with no power fast and you'll be demon-quick when you drop into a powerful car.

But whatever, there ain't no need to feel sorry for me -- all this just reminded me why I like it over here. Even if I didn't have a 914, I think still I'd hang here anyway.

pete
Eric_Shea
Even if I didn't have a 914, I think still I'd hang here anyway.

We wouldn't let you! w00t.gif

alfred.gif
JP Mikey
I applaud Excellence in it's ability to bash something...anything....if the short weenies....gotta come up with something better than "Gay Men" for the Cayman....anyways...if they want editorial fellatio for the Porsche Marque...they should read that recycled toiletpaper called Panorama.....

I remember a post or a reprint on the Porsche pricing phiosophy on the 924/944/951 models....this was after Porsche got hosed on the body pricing from VW via Karmann Coachworks.....anyhow, they decided they would like to sell A LOT of cars at a smaller margin than fewer cars at a huge margin.....they sold the piss out of them....

Now a front engined Audi POS like those cars would NOT be in the same league as a 911.....and neither would a Cayman...but properly engined it would prolly kick the crap out of 911.....there's the rub.

Sell a Cayman, and NOT sell a 911? Horrors....but how about sell a lower priced Cayman and not a 911 and sell a Cayman to a guy who was gonna buy some faggy Miata or a Beemer....?

Marketing.....Porsche marketing weenies have stopped talking to the other side of the building.....they'll figure it out...maybe....
Borderline
Poor Pete gets to drive really neat OPC's (other people's cars) and gets paid for it. If you don't get any criticsim, nobodys reading the mag. It was great talking to you at the 914 pull. Thanks for the education. If I hung out with you and Dave Darling more often maybe my vocabulary would improve...maybe not. Your teener is beautiful. Don't let them guys at the Cayman site find out you drive a teener.

K-Man S
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 9 2006, 04:01 PM) *

Why you should never suggest that gayfight.gif might have paid too much. (oh, and why you never want to be a "public figure") biggrin.gif

blowup.gif

A friend with a cool old 356 (who will have nothing to do with clubs) asked me what forum I hang most on and I said this one. He laughed and said, "That's about right -- the cheaper the cars, the cooler the people."

pete

Pete, you and I talked after that post was made so I assume you don't have any problems visiting the Cayman Club since you have visited after that post. Imagine if you had tied that editorial in the magazine to the new 3.4L engine going into the Boxster, all hell would have broken loose!

Sure, just like any internet forum (including this one) there are members who go to extremes in their responses, Kaiser sometimes being one of them, but since I try to practice a policy of tolerance and let people voice their opinions as much as possible without going into personal attacks then "heated" conversations like these are going to happen.

I still think you ought to drive over to Kaiser's house in a pick-up truck and say hello but that's just me. biggrin.gif

The Cayman is selling like gangbusters and somewhere around 1/2 of all buyers are NEW to Porsche. That means there will be a lot of "newbies" in our forum who have little to no experience with Porsche and some who have little to no experience with an internet forum. That's OK, I take it as the job of those of us who have been around awhile to help educate them and pass on our enthusiasm for Porsche. Otherwise, we end up with people who buy their Porsche one day and dump it the next for a Z06 based on a motor trend article and never come to appreciate the "Excellence" of Porsche.

Speaking of Excellence, as you know I have been and will remain a subscriber, but with a background in analyst reporting I wouldn't base a conclusion on what I see sitting out front of my local dealer. idea.gif

I would be interested to know if you've spoken to anyone at Porsche about their closing the Boxster in on the Cayman since originally Porsche announced the Cayman as slotted right between the Boxster and the 911, whereas now it appears that Porsche has decided to elevate the Boxster (likely due to poor sales lately). Did Porsche anticipate the reaction of some Cayman owners (particularly those new to the brand?) I have a couple of calls into my contacts at PCNA and they are all out at Watkins Glen this week for the new Turbo launch event.

BTW, if it matters, my sister used to drive an orange 914, a 1973 I think. I drove it a few times, a fun car but it eventually had some serious rust and mechanical problems. There was one at our local autox last weekend, not sure how he did. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a Porsche fan I have an appreciation for all of the models and you won't see me coming here slamming the 914. Likewise I would hope that 914 owners wouldn't slam the Cayman but rather would go test drive one to see what they are like. Speaking of the autox, I just won the autox event in a Cayman S and I can attest to the fact that I'm not the best autox driver around so the car was making me shine!

Greetings again to Pete and to all 914 fans, feel free to drop by and visit us at
www.caymanclub.net

K-Man S
admin of the Cayman Club
PCA Cayman Register chairperson

Joe Ricard
Well, I suppose it's all cool until you have a 928 owner jump in.
I mean the guy who bought new and took such drastic cuts in resale value it's hard to give them away.
and the 911 still lives on. I hope the 911 does live on forever.
makes the wonderful cars like the 928 and 914 affordable to CSOB's like me.
Whoo Hoo! now in 5 years I can have a Cayman.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Demick @ Jun 9 2006, 01:52 PM) *

But I think the pricing has more to do with the pricing of the 911 than the pricing of the Boxster. I like the Cayman better than the 911, so I look at the Cayman and say, man, why would anyone buy a 911 when you can get a Cayman for less?

Demick

agree.gif

Isn't this the major reason that the 914-6 was eliminated after '72? It was just too good a deal and threatened the 911.
Eric_Shea
I drove it a few times, a fun car but it eventually had some serious rust and mechanical problems.

NOT POSSIBLE! Come to this club and spread your blasphemy!! HOW DARE YOU?? biggrin.gif

welcome.png
Mueller
QUOTE(K-Man S @ Jun 21 2006, 06:49 AM) *

pete

Pete, you and I talked after that post was made so I assume you don't have any problems visiting the Cayman Club since you have visited after that post. Imagine if you had tied that editorial in the magazine to the new 3.4L engine going into the Boxster, all hell would have broken loose!

Sure, just like any internet forum (including this one) there are members who go

Greetings again to Pete and to all 914 fans, feel free to drop by and visit us at
www.caymanclub.net

K-Man S
admin of the Cayman Club

Nice and civil post K-Man S thumb3d.gif

I think too many 914 owners suffer from a form of "Napoleon" complex, anything that costs more than the 914 they piss on...I see so many 914 owners that bought a POS 914 for $2,000 diss 911s and thier owners, why?? The majority of them have never driven a 911 or any other Porsche, but they'll still piss on them. Same goes for bashing the Boxster or the Cayman.....again why? No reason, but since they cannot afford a $50K car it's easier to piss on it than try to ponder the positives of it.

As for some of the Cayman owners beating up on Pete some have thier own issues they need to deal with smile.gif , I read it as there are a bunch of Caymans sitting around collecting dust at the local dealerships and on the surface, to the average person looking at them, they might have a hard time seeing why Porsche charges a min. of $5K more for a "Boxster with a fixed roof"

I know and you know that there is more to the Cayman than just that, but for those that don't read the magazine articles or have a buddy with one or whatever, the general public just won't get it and understand the price differance.

sorry for ramble...

Brad Roberts
Thanks for stopping by Mr.S burnout.gif

I honestly beleive you are doing a great job handling the Cayman site. It is a monumental task (ask the admins here) clap56.gif

I share the same view as Mr. Mueller. A LOT of people have the blinders on when it comes to "other" Porsches. There is a reason why I never brought up the fact that I was associated with the 914Club when posting on your site. I didnt want to hear the typical bashing that occurs towards 914 owners. Typically someone somewhere (much like yourself) knew somebody who owned one (and their perception is much like yours). I love all the Porsches and strive to learn as much about them as I can (and share it). To this date the only thing I havent driven made by Porsche is a new GT3street and Cup car (or 997 Turbo) it is only a matter of time before I get behind the wheel of those.

The fact remains: Mid engine Porsches are the best biggrin.gif

Now. The real question is: which Cayman owner also owns a 914 and ratted us out on this thread to you?? LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Mike,

are you more sensitive now that you have twins??

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 09:30 AM) *

To this date the only thing I havent driven made by Porsche is a new GT3street and Cup car (or 997 Turbo)

wow, you actually *drove* a porsche tractor?

w00t.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
He wouldnt let me drive it, but I sat on one and made engine noises. Palo Alto Concourse event (98 or 99) I forget.

B
Brando
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 09:49 AM) *

He wouldnt let me drive it, but I sat on one and made engine noises. Palo Alto Concourse event (98 or 99) I forget.

B

That must have been the coolest 5-speed tractor ever...
K-Man S
Brad,
I must say that I did not appreciate the comments about "sponsors ruling the day", etc. with regard to the Cayman Club site since as you well know in your case I walked a very fine line balancing act and came up with a solution that everyone was happy with and even went to bat for you with one of the sponsors who was upset. Sponsors don't rule the day, but they do help keep the site going with their donations and advertising $$$. However, since you agree I'm doing a great job, I let it slide. smile.gif

Oh, and no one ratted you out or this site or whatever, I visit places from time to time and see references to items and happened to notice the mention of the Cayman Club and thought I'd jump in and comment that Pete is welcome anytime and I'm still very appreciative of his time answering those interview questions around the Cayman launch timeframe.
Lou W
QUOTE(K-Man S @ Jun 21 2006, 06:49 AM) *

blowup.gif

pete

Sure, just like any internet forum (including this one) there are members who go to extremes in their responses, Kaiser sometimes being one of them, but since I try to practice a policy of tolerance and let people voice their opinions as much as possible without going into personal attacks then "heated" conversations like these are going to happen.

I still think you ought to drive over to Kaiser's house in a pick-up truck and say hello but that's just me. biggrin.gif

The Cayman is selling like gangbusters and somewhere around 1/2 of all buyers are NEW to Porsche. That means there will be a lot of "newbies" in our forum who have little to no experience with Porsche and some who have little to no experience with an internet forum. That's OK, I take it as the job of those of us who have been around awhile to help educate them and pass on our enthusiasm for Porsche. Otherwise, we end up with people who buy their Porsche one day and dump it the next for a Z06 based on a motor trend article and never come to appreciate the "Excellence" of Porsche.

Speaking of Excellence, as you know I have been and will remain a subscriber, but with a background in analyst reporting I wouldn't base a conclusion on what I see sitting out front of my local dealer. idea.gif

I would be interested to know if you've spoken to anyone at Porsche about their closing the Boxster in on the Cayman since originally Porsche announced the Cayman as slotted right between the Boxster and the 911, whereas now it appears that Porsche has decided to elevate the Boxster (likely due to poor sales lately). Did Porsche anticipate the reaction of some Cayman owners (particularly those new to the brand?) I have a couple of calls into my contacts at PCNA and they are all out at Watkins Glen this week for the new Turbo launch event.

BTW, if it matters, my sister used to drive an orange 914, a 1973 I think. I drove it a few times, a fun car but it eventually had some serious rust and mechanical problems. There was one at our local autox last weekend, not sure how he did. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a Porsche fan I have an appreciation for all of the models and you won't see me coming here slamming the 914. Likewise I would hope that 914 owners wouldn't slam the Cayman but rather would go test drive one to see what they are like. Speaking of the autox, I just won the autox event in a Cayman S and I can attest to the fact that I'm not the best autox driver around so the car was making me shine!

www.caymanclub.net

K-Man S
admin of the Cayman Club

I drove my niece's boyfriends new Cayman S a couple of weeks ago, it was a blast, it handled great plenty of power and was fun to drive, I'd buy one in a heart beat. driving.gif
street legal go-kart
The fact remains: Mid engine Porsches are the best biggrin.gif

Welcome to the site K-Man !

I also will wait a few years to buy a used Cayman and will save a few dollars along the way.
I love the look of the car and think that the styling is a breath of fresh air for Porsche.

I am how ever tempted to join your site just to post; "That's not a real 914!" laugh.gif

In any case , welcome.

JT
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.