Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Olav's Stock 914-6 Pedal Restoration.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
The idea was to restore Olav's -6 pedal assembly to as stock as possible. The plating came out great and we did a two-part paint job starting with Zero-Rust on a bare metal base. We wanted to use a gloss enamel as a top coat to replicate the factory finish. Mark, the set-up time on the enamel is around 5 days... that's why I was calling.

Spoke with Olav today and he wanted to see some pics. I thought others might be interested too.
Eric_Shea
What makes a -6 pedal assembly a -6 pedal assembly?

This...
olav

That's unbelievably beautiful.

Super great job Eric. Now I need a plexiglass foot board to show off your work.
Eric_Shea
wink.gif
smontanaro
So does that have the usual plating you do underneath the finish?

Skip
URY914
Artwork needs to be preserved under glass. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
So does that have the usual plating you do underneath the finish?

Nope. With this one it's basically our "Stock-Style" pedal that we finish in Zero-Rust coating so the Zero-Rust basically takes the place of the plating. Zero-Rust is a 2,000 hour salt bath coating that we use on our suspension components. It looks great and wears great but Olav wanted a more of a stock look and that would be a gloss black. The idea was to take it a step further and finish with the enamel.

Powdercoating just doesn't have the right look and feel either. There's a lot of holes that need to be dealt with and then those areas need to be finished later. Lacquer would have been easier to deal with and Mark and Olav would probably have it in their grubby little mits by now but I think enamel will net the desired result.
McMark
Eric, that looks amazing. drooley.gif
Great job. No worries on the delay, as long as it's back before the 23rd. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
as long as it's back before the 23rd

of... confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
Lou W
drooley.gif Very nice job smile.gif
2-OH!
Eric:

That is wonderful work...The plating on the "Non Painted" pieces, is that the same Zinc coating you put on your Calipers or did I understand it to be the "ZeroRust" solution also...

2-OH!

McMark
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 9 2006, 06:57 PM) *

as long as it's back before the 23rd

of... confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh you are funny! tongue.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
That's too nice to hide. Cut a hole in the wood pedal board for a piece of clear plexi to show it off. Nice work thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
The plating on the "Non Painted" pieces, is that the same Zinc coating you put on your Calipers or did I understand it to be the "ZeroRust" solution also...

For this one the plated parts got plated and painted parts got painted. That's the same yellow zinc that goes on the calipers.
anthony
I just rebuilt the cluster on the 911 because the clutch roll pin had shattered. I also added the bronze bushings.

I just did a quick rust removal, paint with enamel, and reassemble. Nothing needed to be replated. And by quick I must say it took half a weekend. If you don't want to fight with that roll pin send your cluster to Erik.
tod914
Erik what brand paint did you use? Looks fantastic! Nice job.
Bartlett 914
Really nice job Eric

I find it hard to believe that it looked that nice when it was new!
Mueller
hey Eric, can you bake the enamel to quicken the time???
Eric_Shea
The paint is AeroPro 5932. Should be at most autobody supply stores.

Mike... I wanted to. I read everything on the can and it didn't mention it. I was a little reluctant to test it on Olav's pedals but, what the hell, let me throw it on the BarBee! w00t.gif
olav
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 10 2006, 08:46 AM) *

That's too nice to hide. Cut a hole in the wood pedal board for a piece of clear plexi to show it off. Nice work thumb3d.gif

I'd like too but Engman's aluminum pedal board is going in. w00t.gif
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 10 2006, 09:08 PM) *

Isn't that counter to the whole ultra-stock look you're going for?
olav
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Jun 10 2006, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(olav @ Jun 10 2006, 09:08 PM) *

Isn't that counter to the whole ultra-stock look you're going for?

It's the black variant and there's carpet over it.

So it's got the right look.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.