Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best sealant for Guide bush on tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Seems once a year I'm fixing a small leak around the guide bush where it goes into the tranny. Each time I replaced the o-ring and used hylomar. After time,
it leaks again. Any reckomendations on a better sealant??? The angle drive is new too, so thats ok.

Thanks
Dr Evil
How is the sealing surface inside the bore? You may find that some 4-500 grit sand paper used in a circular motion should clean up any light hang ups. If the surface is thrashed beyond that then you may want to try one of the "Threebond" sealants like 1104 of 1201. Wihta new O-ring it should not leak. It is not a pressure fitting so I would suspect something else is the cause.
tod914
The guide bush is a replacement which seemed in excellent shape. I used the new one when I replaced the angle drive last summer. The o ring seems shrink over time. Next time I fix it, I'll try your suggestion and go with the original guide bush. There seems to be alittle spacing around the guide bush when you insert it the tranny, but its secure when the bolt is tightened. Both matting surfaces where smooth. I throughly cleaned them with brake cleaner prior to reassembly.

Thanks for the tip.
Cap'n Krusty
My money's on a worn bore in the nose cover. If that's the case (and it's REALLY common) there's little you can do. Since there's RARELY any reason to remove the speedo drive insert, a more permanent repair might be your best move. In the past I've found JB Weld performs well in this specific repair. The Cap'n
tod914
My old angle drive needed replacement.. was very loose at the pivot. Once you JB weld it, any chance of breaking it free if you need to?
Dr Evil
Tod,
Just see if anyone has a spare cone for you. Tail or side shift? I bet you could get one for low $$.
tod914
Thanks Mike your inclined to think thats the issue? Is the bushing suppose to be snug in that sleeve prior to tighening? It seems to seat fine, but there is play around the edges if that makes any sence until I tighten it. Mine is 75. Side shifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.