Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
Okay got spark from the center wire to the distrib cap. distrib rotates when engine is cranked. acutally started when choke & carb cleaner was sprayed in carbs to clean. then it quit and backfired. help need to get the teener running before my father comes for a visit.

e
wbergtho
sounds like you are not getting fuel? Check into your fuel pump, relay, wiring, filter, etc)
Rand
What year and engine? Do you hear the fuel pump hum for a couple secs when you first turn the ignition on?
evan
Hey Rand, when I first turn the key, i hear a humm / clicking sound. In checking the filter, should I disconnect the end opposite the filter away from fuel source?

evan

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2006, 10:24 AM) *

What year and engine? Do you hear the fuel pump hum for a couple secs when you first turn the ignition on?

bd1308
humm = Fuel pump
clicking = Fuel Pump relay, Ignition System Relay

on the filter, i wouldnt think it would matter, but i always disconnect the fitting closest to the pump first, so teh sediment doesnt backwash into the pump.

b
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(evan @ Jun 10 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Hey Rand, when I first turn the key, i hear a humm / clicking sound. In checking the filter, should I disconnect the end opposite the filter away from fuel source?

evan

QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2006, 10:24 AM) *

Yes, and sence you are going to pull that off put a piece of hose on it and run that

hose into a receptical and have someone turn on the key and check out the flow

it doesn't take much preasure for carbs. At least you will know that it is or isn't

your fuel pump.
evan
Hey Rand, sorry it is a 1973 and I think is a 1.7 converted or bored out to be a 2.0.
evan
Okay, just took off one hose from the fuel filter got some drainage. tried to start car and some gas came into a cup i had underneath the filter. when i reconnected it the car almost started but did not quite make it. Do fuel filters get clogged that quickly?

QUOTE(evan @ Jun 10 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Hey Rand, sorry it is a 1973 and I think is a 1.7 converted or bored out to be a 2.0.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.