Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I love and hate this car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
... 1988 Porsche 944, non-turbo. It comes with all the cool stuff. 10.2:1 compression, roughly 185hp out of an inline 4. Creature comforts galore, coil-over suspension, a decent 0-60 time, and I can run with most non-turbo cars today, less a few V8s. The handling is supurb with the ROH Z 17"x7.5" fronts and 17"x8.5" rears and sticky Fuzion tires. A brand new Sachs spring-centered clutch, freshly charged A/C and the late styled dash. Those are the only good points I can come up with at the moment. Well, not to mention the top speed is about 154 (said the speedo). Most newer cars stop at about 125/130 before the speed-limiter kicks in.

But there's only one drawback with this car: I bought it from a dealership that is now out of business, and they "lost" the pink slip. So now, everywhere I go, everywhere I park and drive I have to be super paranoid of getting pulled over or a parking ticket. For instance, last night at Balboa Pier, parked for maybe 15 minutes away from my car. I come back and there's a fucking ticket on my windshield. What for?

4000A CVC Expired Registration: $76.00
5200 CVC 2 License Plates Required: $42.00
Total $118.00

Now, had I really no explaination, I wouldn't be pissed about the whole situation. Let me explain the registration... I bought the car officially in april of this year, from a dealership that is now out of business. They 'lost' the pink slip. So now after spending a few hours at the DMV, I have started an open investigation to 'transfer' the vehicle into my name. The thin sheet that is from the DMV that I have taped in the front window indicates (as per the DMV) that the car is not in violation of registration until the car is fully transferred into my name. The investigation to transfer the vehicle to me will take 6 months to 1 year. I also had to lodge a complaint about the non-existant dealership. The DMV would not let me pay any fees or start a registration transfer at all, so now I sit with my hands tied, waiting for the DMV to finish before I can begin to transfer the car.

AND the front bracket for my license plate is somewhat broken, so I leave the license plate on the dashboard. It must be forward visible, on the dashboard IT IS VISIBLE.

The fact that the officer did not look in the window for both the LICENSE PLATE and DEALERSHIP TEMPORARY REGISTRATION / OPERATION PERMIT shows sheer stupidity on the officer's part. I will be sending in photographs and contesting this utter bullshit.

headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

What do you all think?
scotty b
Well that's not really the cars fault now is it ??? poke.gif BTW I love mine too 86 undergoing a turbo transformation (body & brake faze right now)
Brando
WTF!!!

I leave my apartment to head to work this morning and there's another freaking ticket!!! Do they even bother to check the front of the car?! License plate and DMV sticker right there. OMFG... This is ridiculous. I should just park this car in back of my apartment, leave a cover on it. Or I need to find another 1988 944 with clear title and reg that someone's parting, swap VINs and plates and register THAT, let this one go to the wind.

What else can I do? I've done everything the DMV has asked me. They say I'm in the clear. I'm going to contest these, but if I get six outstanding tickets (and they obviously are ignoring the DMV paperwork) it will get impounded. Please? Any advice?
SLITS
Fix the license plate....put a sign on the windshield pointing to the DMV paperwork....sign should read....

"Before you write a ticket....Look here"

Andyrew
Do you have another car?

Car cover?

Cover the car at night (with a lock holding it down so it doesnt get stolen)

Just buy a 30 dollar one...

Andrew

Oh, and put slits note by the license plate (rear) when you park.

that should cover it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.