Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical charging system question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I installed a brand new battery and a new voltage regulater last week in the car. My volt meter is showing 12.5 volts at the terminals. With the car running and the lights and fan on my volt meter fluctuates between 12.7 and 12.9, then slowly starts to dip, getting as low as 12.5 before I decided to shut the engine off because I could see that the battery was slowly draining.

Would it be logical that the alternator might need replacing? The alt. belt also seemed tight (not sure exactly how tight it should feel though.) I can check the electrical connections (have to find them first though.) The connections at the battery all look good though.

It doesn't look like a fun job to replace the alternator, but I'm up for the challenge. Anything else I should look for before I go this route??

Thanks!

PS: Forgot to add that the alternator light on the dash comes on when starting the car, but goes off right away once it's started and doesn't come back on at all when driving.
davep
Check the ground circuit: measure the voltage difference between the negative post on the battery and the fan shroud. The alternator grounds through its case to the fan shroud, then the engine, transmission, up the ground strap and through the body to the battery strap and then the post. That is a long path with lots of connections. If you get much of a voltage difference, then start checking the ground straps. If you are relying on the console voltmeter, then forget it, since it never reads correctly. A DVM is the only tool to do this sort of a test.
nycchef
had a similar problem. are you sure the regulater is good?. if there is any doubt check my post "atlernator problems is anything simple?" on page 6 of the garage forum. there is a test you can do to test the regulator. good luck
rjames
are you sure the regulater is good?.

The voltage regulator is brand new.

Check the ground circuit: measure the voltage difference between the negative post on the battery and the fan shroud. The alternator grounds through its case to the fan shroud, then the engine, transmission, up the ground strap and through the body to the battery strap and then the post. That is a long path with lots of connections. If you get much of a voltage difference, then start checking the ground straps. If you are relying on the console voltmeter, then forget it, since it never reads correctly. A DVM is the only tool to do this sort of a test.

I'll try this, thanks!
And I'm using a digital volt meter to get my readings (not relying on the POS one in the car)
rjames
I also noticed that the idle speed drops when I turn the lights on. Not sure if that is telling of anything...
bd1308
I know the regulator is brand new, but I have personally bought "bad" new regulators. The light will go out on the dash and everything too, when the regulator is out. Trade it in and see what happens.

There's something about today and Quality Control which I don't understand.

b
rjames
had a similar problem. are you sure the regulater is good?. if there is any doubt check my post "atlernator problems is anything simple?" on page 6 of the garage forum. there is a test you can do to test the regulator. good luck

nycchef: I read your thread, and will try the method described therin. The one question I do have concerning shorting the regulator connection to see if the alternator kicks in is this: Is it possible for my alternator to be working -a little-? Maybe charging the battery enough so it just runs down very slowly? I ask this because if I hear the alternator kick in, does that necessarily mean it's charging the battery as much as it should be?
davep
Don't try removing the battery from the circuit like nycchef, that is bound to cause damage. You should be able to to use your DVM to do all the necessary testing. With the engine at idle the DVM should show higher volts than when the engine is off. Bring the engine up to 2000 RPM and the DVM should show higher volts again. Engine off volts on a good battery are about 12.8, at idle should be over 13 and peak volts should be close to 14.

Even at 3000 RPM cruising it will take several hours to recharge the battery.
nycchef
i should have pointed out in my thread listen to the other guys not me. i'm learning as i go
rjames
All good info, will be testing tonight. The thing that got me checking on things in the first place is that I just bought a new battery, put it in and was amazed at how bright the turn signals were. I could actually seem them from inside the car. Measured the voltage which was close to 13 with the engine off. Drove around for a day or two, then the turn signal indicator inside stopped working after a couple of blinks, and the turn signals weren't as bright, and with the headlights on the RPMs dropped by 200. Seems like classic alternator problem, but then again with these cars very little is often obvious to me.

rjames
I just got done reading the Pelican article regarding troubleshooting the charging system:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...roubleshoot.htm

After reading this it would seem that as long as the right bulb is installed for the alternator light then any charging problems should light the bulb. My charging light goes on when turning the key to the on position, but after the car starts it goes off right away, and does not come on at all when driving. I suppose this doesn't really change how I should test things, but wonder if it points to something specific (other then, hey- there's something wrong with my charging system!)

In looking at the article, there are 2 tests I should peform and of course I have questions about both as I have limited experience with electrical issues and don't want to die or get shocked, or ruin my car while testing.

TEST 1)Connect +12 volts from the battery to the DF terminal on the relay board.

So with car running I connect run a wire from the positive post on the battery to the DF terminal on the relay board. Is the voltage regulator still plugged in for this test? Is there specific cable guage I should use for this test?

TEST 2) To check the D+ portion of the system, it is necessary to find out if the D+ output can produce enough current to drive the alternator to full output. To do this, short the D+ and DF terminals on the relay board. This will provide the maximum field current to the alternator that the alternator ITSELF can supply (not the battery, as in the earlier check) and so checks the remainder of the circuitry. If this test puts the light out, then the alternator is good, and the trouble is elsewhere.

Should this test be done with or without the VR installed?

Again, be patient w/me as I haven't worked much with electricity in this capacity. I learned how to weld and fixed the longs on the car this year just from reading posts on this board so I'm sure I can learn to troubleshoot this stuff as well. I just needs some guidance.

One more idea, could my charging woes be from a slipping belt? I don't hear any noise that would indicate it. Is there a way to test if the belt is slipping? (Other then sticking my fingers back there...)

As always, thanks everyone for the help- if nothing else it will enable me to help someone else out at some point in time.

rjames
Still hoping for some more feedback on the previous posting, although everyone is probably board of this thread.

I tried another voltage regulator with the same results. I got excited when I first put it on, the car read 14+ at idle, and then steadily went down right away and hovered around 12.2- 12.5 at idle. dry.gif

Dr. Roger
IPB Image

lead is shiny when clean, dull grey when oxidized and resisting conductivity.
first things first. clean the battery cables with this handy little wire brush cleaner.
then ensure you've good good ground from the batt to the body. Zero ohms resistance.

charging systems sense low voltage. below a certain point the voltage regulator clicks "on" and charges until a max voltage is reached. usually 13.6 to 14.2V.

the way i check a charging system is to load the battery on purpose by grounding the coil and turning over the engine for 5-7 seconds.
this will ensure that the charging system will be "triggered" on when you start the engine.

reconnect the coil, then hook-up you volt/ohm meter and start the car.

you should see the charging system voltage rise to about 13.6V to 14.2V.

the charging system naturally fluxuates..........

hope this helps.
davep
I'm still waiting to hear the results of the tests I suggested. Do the basics first, that is the voltage drops through the current paths.

Output of the alternator at idle is very low. You can't charge a battery at idle. You need 1500 RPM at least.
nycchef
the d+ terminal and the d field terminal are both on the relay board. i think you jump them together with the vr in then remove the vr and check to see if the charge going to the battery goes up to 16 or 17. do this quickly or you can cook the battery. again i'm new at this also so confirm with some others before trying. there is a diagram in my alternator woes post from 6/6. it shows the relay board in detail.
rhodyguy
with lights and what not on, every car i know of experiences some idle drop. i think dave's does it even with an upgraded alt. for night running i just turn an idle screw up to maintain a reasonable engine speed.

k
dinomium
I added a ground from the post to the fan shroud. Make sure the VR is a Bosch, I have had good FLAPS brand vrs not be up to the task. And not just in Porsches, Ford and Toyotas both want OEM VR, go figure...

The real key here is to go SLOWLY and change one thing at a time. Start at the basics and work your way up.

I installed a white board in my garage to map out flow charts for problem solving!
Dr. Roger
a white board is a (great+brilliant=) grilliant idea!

dave p is right.
start with the basics... then work your way up.

914's have a reputation for poor grounds. reputations get built on past history.... check the grounds first. biggrin.gif agree.gif
rjames
Check the ground circuit: measure the voltage difference between the negative post on the battery and the fan shroud. The alternator grounds through its case to the fan shroud, then the engine, transmission, up the ground strap and through the body to the battery strap and then the post. That is a long path with lots of connections. If you get much of a voltage difference, then start checking the ground straps.

Voltage is the same at bothe the battery and the fan shroud. Voltage alo measures the same at the cable ends as it does at the battery terminals: about 12.5 at idle. Measured for resistance at the ground straps both at the battery and at the transmission. Zero resistance. Removed them both anyway and gave them a good cleaning.

Voltage regulator is a new Bosch unit, although I still have the old non-bosch unit that came with the car. No difference between the two. I have 2 relay boards to play with- the one currently in the car, and another used one that I will test tonight. Other things I will try tonight:

plugging in the alternator directly into the voltage regulator. (this works, right?)
and/or shorting the D+ & D terminals on the relay board. Although a little leary as I don't wan't to fry my battery.

also maybe grounding the coil as suggested by Dr. Roger to see if the alternator kicks in when starting the car.

I drove around last night for about 30 minutes at high rpms after cleaning the ground straps- when I got home the voltage was still 12.5ish at idle.
davep
I suspect that removing the VR from the relay board removes the connection from the alternator light that is used to kickstart the battery. I'd have to check the circuit diagram to see where it connects.

There should be a voltage difference between the fan housing and the battery post, even if it is only a 10th of a volt.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 15 2006, 08:52 AM) *

plugging in the alternator directly into the voltage regulator. (this works, right?)

Nope. You need the warning light in the circuit for the alternator to charge. You won't have the light unless you go through the relay board, so plugging the VR directly into the alternator wiring harness will not cause the alternator to charge the battery.

Also, the light does not show all possible problems. For instance, if the VR gets unplugged, the light will not come on. Which sucks if you're dumb enough not to use the screws that hold the VR onto the relay board... Uhh, not that I know from personal experience or anything. headbang.gif And, as another example, if you have the wrong type of light in the warning light socket, you can have charging problems that don't necessarily show on the light... As mentioned in James Thorusen's article, you want the stock light bulb in there.

I'm sure there are other possibilities as well.

--DD
rjames
Nope. You need the warning light in the circuit for the alternator to charge. You won't have the light unless you go through the relay board, so plugging the VR directly into the alternator wiring harness will not cause the alternator to charge the battery.

Also, the light does not show all possible problems. For instance, if the VR gets unplugged, the light will not come on. Which sucks if you're dumb enough not to use the screws that hold the VR onto the relay board... Uhh, not that I know from personal experience or anything. And, as another example, if you have the wrong type of light in the warning light socket, you can have charging problems that don't necessarily show on the light... As mentioned in James Thorusen's article, you want the stock light bulb in there.

Ok, so plugging in the alternator directly into the VR won't charge the battery, but will it allow me to test the alternator at all?

How about the method of jumping the D+ and the D terminal on the relay board as suggested by someone else? Good thing to check next? The belt on the alt seems tight (I've read that I should be able to depress the belt 1/2 to 1", and mine seems more in the 1/2" range).

I've been taking the car out for 30+ minutes at a time the last few days, and the battery seems to stay charged to around 12.5 volts. Could the alternator be 'kind of' working? I'm getting close to just putting one in to eliminate it as the culprit. Also read something somewhere about checking fuse 8 and 9 (or was it 7 and 8?) on another charging issue thread. Maybe I'll search for that thread again too and look up what those fuses are for while I'm at it!
Dave_Darling
The light is needed for the alternator to charge anything. Without it in the circuit, the pulley just spins, but no current gets generated. I think the jumpering test will tell you if the alt is working, but I haven't tried it myself.

--DD
rjames
OK, now I'm totally confused. I switched the relay board for another one that I was given awhile back. As soon as I plug it in I start the car, and measure 13.7 at the battery terminals. I think my problem is solved! After driving around for a few minutes at fairly high revs I check the voltage again, and now I'm back down to 12.5-12.7 and the turn signals don't light as bright verifying that yes, I have dropped back down to a lower voltage.

Relay board? Maybe? Could the alternator work well when the car starts, but gets 'tired' and can't keep up the charge? This would happen with the other relay board at times where it would show 13.7ish right when starting the car (after it had sat for awhile) and then drop down to 12.something after a couple of minutes.

Should I just change the friggin' alternator already? Could the alternator be working correctly for a minute or two when cold and then lose some of it's charging ability soon after?

Jeez, I'd rather be installing my sway bar then messing with this electrical crapola.
davep
It sounds like you have heat related resistance. Where is the big question. A high current through a dodgy connection will generate a lot of heat that will cause a higher resistance. The higher resistance will cause a voltage drop and thus less current, but the temperature of the connection remains high. Realy boards are well known for having poor contacts due to corrosion. You have to remove the tar, clean, then reseal. On one car I had the stud on the engine wall for the battery ground was solid, but didn't conduct worth beans. A battery cable from the ground post to the fan shroud solved that problem.
Dave_Darling
Did you try the jumper test yet?

--DD
rjames
It sounds like you have heat related resistance. Realy boards are well known for having poor contacts due to corrosion. You have to remove the tar, clean, then reseal.

Hmm seems kind of odd that 2 of them would exhibit the exact same behavior, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me. The tar is in pretty good shape on both of the boards. I could see how in removing the tar I could possible damage the board. Would love to test with a known good board before I go that route. (Anyone? I'll gladly pay shipping).

On one car I had the stud on the engine wall for the battery ground was solid, but didn't conduct worth beans. A battery cable from the ground post to the fan shroud solved that problem.

I cleaned and checked all grounds for resistance, and they're all good. (at least according to my DVM/DOM.)

Did you try the jumper test yet?

--DD

I haven't yet. I am kind of leary of trying this (afraid to fry something else like a battery). But I guess I will barring any warnings from other people.

I'm still wondering if someone can tell me whether or not the alternator could just be 'working enough' to keep things at 12.whatever volts?

ClayPerrine
The only risk you have from "full fielding" (aka jumpering the D+ to the DF contacts for the regulator) is if you run it for a long time like that. It makes the alternator run wide open at 16 volts or so, and if it is run for a long time it can boil the acid out of the battery. A 5 minute test is NOT going to harm anything.

Do the test like this:

1. Put a DVOM on the battery posts.
2. Remove the voltage regulator from the relay board.
3. Start the 914.
4. Using a jumper wire, connect the D+ and DF contacts.
5. You should see 16 volts or so on the DVOM. If you do, your alternator is good.

From recent threads, it sounds like I need to do a pictorial, step by step alternator troubleshooting thread.
rjames
Do the test like this:

3. Start the 914.
5. You should see 16 volts or so on the DVOM. If you do, your alternator is good

Clay, thanks for the step-step walkthrough. I learn best that way. beer.gif
And thanks to all who've chimed in, thanks for checking into this thread on an ongoing basis.
I really appreciate all of the help!

Will post results later tonight.
rjames
Do the test like this:

3. Start the 914.
5. You should see 16 volts or so on the DVOM. If you do, your alternator is good

Did the test, and it showed 16+ volts. Hmm... so after doing this test I plug the voltage regulator back in, drive around a bit and what-do-ya-know, it's showing 13.3 at Idle. Nice.

The next day, I drive around and I'm back to showing 12.5 or so at idle, and when the car is off the battery is reading 12.3ish.

The one thing I haven't checked for is when it's idling at 12.3 or whatever, to short the D+ and DF contacts to see if the alternator kicks right in. Although, my guess is that it will. So I'm back to my original question- is it possible for the alternator to work correctly sometimes, and other times not? Can both of my relaby boards be causing problems? Could both my voltage regulators? Is it worth it at ths point to check the alt bulb in the dash to make sure it's the correct one? Are these still available new?
Thack
Why don't you take a poll to see how many volts at idle that everyone measures. I thought 12.5 was normal at idle. You should be more concerned what hapens while driving unless you like to watch your car idle. smile.gif
jk76.914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 11 2006, 12:53 PM) *

I know the regulator is brand new, but I have personally bought "bad" new regulators. The light will go out on the dash and everything too, when the regulator is out. Trade it in and see what happens.

There's something about today and Quality Control which I don't understand.

b

I also got a bad regulator brand new. I got a solid state one from NAPA, and while it regulated, it regulated to a low voltage. I took it back, and they have a machine they plug it into, and he agreed with me. He took another new one, plugged it in, tested it, and I gained almost a volt....

Also, what voltmeter are you using? The one in the console? Or a handheld? The one in the console is subject to all the drops in the wiring.... and these drops increase with load.
wilchek
ditch the bosch regulator it is crap IMHO. get a solid state, sealed unit from NAPA or elsewhere. They are rock solid and work at 13.8 volts as they should.
Dr. Roger
when you observe 12.3 V at idle and then you put a load on the system like high beams and bring the engine up to 1500 RPM's you should observe that the battery never drops below 12.3V. you should see a voltage fluxuation up and down and up ...

the voltage regulator senses a particular voltage and kicks on (a low voltage state) until it senses another voltage ( a fully charged state) then stops charging...

voltage regulators vary their trigger voltages and some are even adjustable.

12.3V could be you voltage regulators low voltage trigger point. does it ever get so drained that you cant start your car? i ask because i bet it never goes below 12.3V as this is your regulators low voltage trigger point.
rjames
when you observe 12.3 V at idle and then you put a load on the system like high beams and bring the engine up to 1500 RPM's you should observe that the battery never drops below 12.3V. you should see a voltage fluxuation up and down and up ...

the voltage regulator senses a particular voltage and kicks on (a low voltage state) until it senses another voltage ( a fully charged state) then stops charging...

voltage regulators vary their trigger voltages and some are even adjustable.

12.3V could be you voltage regulators low voltage trigger point. does it ever get so drained that you cant start your car? i ask because i bet it never goes below 12.3V as this is your regulators low voltage trigger point.

Dr. Roger- thanks for this posting. I didn't realize that it the system could fluxuate that much at idle depending on the voltage trigger point. It hasn't ever gotten so low that I couldn't start the car- maybe it's been charging ok the whole time, and I've just happen to take voltage measurements when it was near the VRs trigger point?

(And to those who've asked if I'm using the volt meter in the car- no, read back from the beginning, please)

I will look to see what the lowest voltage reading is. The reason I started checking this in the first place is because I noticed that my blinkers weren't as bright sometimes- which coincided with when the voltage read 12.5 (or thereabouts) at idle. When I was getting a 13.3ish at idle my signals (and headlights) were brighter. Making me think that things weren't charging correctly. So while the VR might be allowing the voltage to drop a bit more than I'd like before kicking the alternator in, things still don't seem right if I'm getting dim signals while racing around at 3000 rpms. Mayby I should try a non-bosch VR as suggested by Wilchek?

As always, thanks for the suggestions!
jk76.914
a light bulb just went off in my head... no pun intended.

I had the identical symptom a long time ago. Kept driving for over a year, but I tried to run with the headlights off for a while to top off the battery before shutting down.

Anyway, I tried everything you've tried, and finally pulled the alternator. It had a bad diode. Apparently, when it was cold, it operated more-or-less OK, but as it heated up the reverse-bias current leakage increased and one of the phases of the alternator contributed less and less to the total power output of the alternator. Eventually, the diode failed completely. A failed bridge rectifer will decrease the total power output for the alternator by a third? I think. So under light load, it could regulate to a higher voltage, but it dropped with load.

When it failed entirely, it was only delivering about 10.5 volts under load, though still almost 13 volts with everything turned off.

So that's one more input to think about....

In my own car, I now have the voltmeter connected directly to the + battery terminal, through a relay that drops out when the ignition is off, so I get a pretty good indication of actual charging voltage. Between high load- headlights, fogs, and front blower- and minimum load, I only see about a 0.3 volt difference, with the lowest being about 13.3.

I'm also using a NAPA solid state regulator...
rjames
I had the identical symptom a long time ago. Kept driving for over a year, but I tried to run with the headlights off for a while to top off the battery before shutting down.

Anyway, I tried everything you've tried, and finally pulled the alternator. It had a bad diode. Apparently, when it was cold, it operated more-or-less OK, but as it heated up the reverse-bias current leakage increased and one of the phases of the alternator contributed less and less to the total power output of the alternator. Eventually, the diode failed completely. A failed bridge rectifer will decrease the total power output for the alternator by a third? I think. So under light load, it could regulate to a higher voltage, but it dropped with load.

When it failed entirely, it was only delivering about 10.5 volts under load, though still almost 13 volts with everything turned off.

So that's one more input to think about....

In my own car, I now have the voltmeter connected directly to the + battery terminal, through a relay that drops out when the ignition is off, so I get a pretty good indication of actual charging voltage. Between high load- headlights, fogs, and front blower- and minimum load, I only see about a 0.3 volt difference, with the lowest being about 13.3.

I'm also using a NAPA solid state regulator...

Hmmm thanks for this posting jk76. I will start with the sollid state VRegulator first as that's an easy one, but may just try pulling the alternator. Not being electrically enclined I'd be interested in knowing just how to wire the volt meter the same way you did so I could get accurate readings. If you're able, I'd love a step-by-step on how to do this- keeping in mind I'm a novice at electrical stuff.

jk76.914
Hi Robert,
Well, I finally got a chance to get some pictures for you on the relay installation on the volt meter. I'm afraid the pic doesn't show much in the way of step-by-step, but it's pretty straightforward.

1. You can basically pick ANY relay. Just make sure it has a 12v coil. Radio Shack has a couple that would work for short money. The contact rating is unimportant, as you'll only be switching a few milliamps of current at most- just enough to energize the coil in the meter itself. The one I got was actually too small to handle easily, and I would go for a bigger one it I had it to do again.

2. You take the two wires that originally connected to your voltmeter and connect them across the relay coil. If you can dig up a relay that has 1/4" tab connections, they would plug on directly! (RadioShack #275-226 ($6.49) would work, even though it is rediculous overkill in terms of contact rating, which is OK.) Now, when the ignition is turned on, it energizes the coil and closes the relay's contacts to complete the circuit to the volt meter. And, when the ignition is off, the circuit to the meter breaks, so you don't drain your battery. See schematic below...

3. The hardest part of the whole job is running a new wire from the battery + terminal to the console. I ran mine before my interior was in. I drilled an oversize hole in the firewall, and ran a wire through it, protected by a rubber grommet that I got at the hardware store. You MUST run a new wire and dedicate it to the voltmeter, or the meter readings will be affected by voltage drops caused by whatever other load you have hanging off the same wire. In the console, this wire connects to the switch inside the relay. All relays have pictures on them somewhere showing which terminals are for the coil, and which go to the switch.....

4. Easier, but still important, is running a new ground wire. I ran mine from the forward-most 6mm bolt that holds the console's heater lever to the top of the tunnel. First I removed the lever and polished up the surfaces on the tunnel and the bottom of the lever with a wire brush. This also will help make sure you don't have any grounding problems with the rear blower fan..... Then I reinstalled the lever and the rear bolt, and finally installed the front bolt- with its new ring lug sandwiched between two internal-tooth lockwashers under the bolt head- and that was it. The other end of the new ground connects to the ground terminal on the voltmeter.

5. Last step- connect a wire from the other switch connection on the relay to the + terminal of the voltmeter.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
And that's it! You will now measure voltage directly at the battery terminal. When you turn on your direction signals, you won't see the needle dancing anymore! And, you can see the effect of load and RPM on charging and the battery. Much more useful than measuring voltage drop across all the wiring and connectors between the battery and the load.

I'm rebuilding my tach right now, but when I get it in and I'm driving again, I'll take some photos of the voltmeter under various load and RPM conditions, and add them in here as well.

Have you made any progress on yours?

regards,
Jim
SGB
Hmmmm.
I also experienced the "charging v. temperature" situation. I chenged many components en-route to changing the alternator for the third time. Similarly to the rebuilt voltage regulators, apparently a 49% failure rate is OK. I somehow found a NOS VR, and got a rebuilt alternator from a place in DC called Arlington Armeture. It isn't a Bosche, it was lighter, put out a little more juice, and most importantly, did NOT fail within 6 months. Replacing the thing isn't that hard, but it is dirty. Wear eye protection. The biggest challenge is weaving the heating duct stuff out and in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.