Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do I plug it in?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
This is probably a dumb question, but my electrical knowledge is minimal (see other post regarding my charging system), but I'm willing to learn.

My question is, I just got an electric opener for the trunk and would like to know where the wire gets attached to at the fuse panel?

Also, the PO instlled a radio, and wired it so that it doesn't turn off when you turn off the ignition- so you can turn the radio on without the keys in the car. I know enough to know that this isn't right. What should the radio power wire be connected to?

Thanks!

rjames
So those must have been dumb questions as they've been read 26 times and no replies. Anyone?
Joe Bob
My personal opinion is that they need to be float tested in a lake first,,,,if it floats, throw it farther out.....

Anyways....it needs power, a ground and an interupter switch. Most are in the cockpit but when...and I MEAN WHEN not IF..it fails and you need to push on the lid you will need long arms....or a friend.....or put the switch under the license plate.....then when ya get tired of the POS you throw it in that lake I was mentioning....and replace it with a cable pull.

I'll bet ya have one those wizzbang 911 cutdown Porsche reflectors on the back too? Take my advice....drill a small hole so that you can stick a straightened coat hanger in to pop the hood.....for when the cable breaks....somethings are better left alone......

Geez, I need to get laid....
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 10 2006, 08:59 PM) *

So those must have been dumb questions as they've been read 26 times and no replies. Anyone?

the trunk release is aftermarket, so really *any* fuse you see fit will do. there's no guideline here ...

how about you hook it up where the radio is right now?
biggrin.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
If you don't spend any time in or around your car other than to drive than take

your radio off constant power. But remember that your teener has no acc. position

on your ignition switch. and it isn't healthy for your car to have the key on for any

period of time. I have mine on a constant for just that reason. The guys answered

your other Q.
GWN7
When the electric openers fail you will need to be well versed in the "How to open my trunk without keys?" thread.

Best idea is to look in the resourses section for the Engman mechanical trunk release.

As to the radio, look for a swiched power source, but then if you do that you will have to have your key on to listen to it. If it fused, then having it on all the time isn't a bad thing.
Rand
Best idea is to look in the resourses section for the Engman mechanical trunk release.

That's what I was thinking.
rjames
Cool, thanks everyone- I know a lot of people hate the electric openers, but I have one and so I'd like to use it. The cable idea is great, but think the cable model seems a bit overpriced for me at the moment for what it is ($120 for a cable seems a little spendy, IMHO).
I will probably make my own eventually. beer.gif

I'll bet ya have one those wizzbang 911 cutdown Porsche reflectors on the back too? Take my advice....drill a small hole so that you can stick a straightened coat hanger in to pop the hood.....for when the cable breaks....somethings are better left alone......

Geez, I need to get laid....

yeah, good luck with that.
Joe Bob
I did get laid thanks.....it was a top ten.

btw, think of me when that electric thing fails....

Do the Seinfeld way like when he said Newman,,,,,only say Z O I S....do it with emphasis....curse my name when it leaves you stranded.... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.