Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: wi-fi router for home use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
About 6 months ago I bought a d-link wireless router in order to have wireless use of all of the computers in my house.

The range in this is really poor and it does't seem to work well and I have very limited use in my house and my yard.

Can someone here recommend a good wireless router that has good range and bandwidth?

solex
Linksys does it for me...
jd66921
QUOTE(solex @ Jun 10 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Linksys does it for me...

agree.gif

I have a Linksys in a raised house, and mine works all over and downstairs too.

Jeff
Pudge
Linksys

Stay away from D-Link.

swl
I have never had a problem with range on a DLink but I have found them to be flakey.

I agree with Solex - Linksys is reliable and reasonable range.

You might also want to have a peak at the Apple Airports. They are absolutely rock solid with great range. Premium price though. I carry an airport express in my laptop case. Really small package that I can set up anywhere there is a wired network and power. Not really set up for a home network though because it doesn't have a LAN port for wired computers. But if you are just using a notebook, or notebooks, they are great. If you have a wired network look at the Airport Extreme
Joe Bob
I have an extra Linksys...make me an offer....
echocanyons
Thanks for the offer Mike but I think I will run to the best buy tonight, I have been putting it off forever and my kids keep asking e whe I will fix it.

Whats up with the barn find speedster in your picture?
Hammy
Just how far can these wireless routers go? I'm hoping to at least the other side of my house wacko.gif
And how do you prevent your neighbors from hooking onto your wireless network and stealing your connection ?
john grier
yup
I got linkys 2 or 3 years ago
Works great.
Got it from Hifi buys
Only problem is when the lap top is brought near
the sender it flakes out for a time
Go for it clap56.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 10 2006, 07:07 PM) *

Thanks for the offer Mike but I think I will run to the best buy tonight, I have been putting it off forever and my kids keep asking e whe I will fix it.

Whats up with the barn find speedster in your picture?

WIFIs can go like 200 feet w/o real problems. I have one and I can use it in my garage and it's 180 feet from my main house.

I have a repeater up there as well.

Don't get a wireless "B"...get at least the "G"....

The speeder and the 914/6 was from a Skyrat board post from 2003. Of course the main topic was the 356 and everyone ignored the 914...see the five lug gas burners?
okieflyr
I never was happy w/d-link, and their customer service rep was insulting.
I thru it in the trash, and bought a Linksys. It has worked fine, has a strong signal, and not to difficult to set up w/security. Kevin
turboman808
I did help deask for an internet provider for about a year.

Seems the biggest problem was the netgear and the Dlink. Most people have linksys and I got the fewest calls where we determined it to be a problem with there system. Oh interesting job by the way biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I've been using several Linksys WRT54G's for a couple years with great results.
Dr. Roger
Linksys WRT54G's are great as their programming is open source and several hacks have been created to allow for access point or client mode.

I've got a Linksys, a Netgear, and a Viewsonic.

All of these wireless routers can be locked with 128bit encryption and you provide the key. that means no one can use your access point.... =-)
Rand
I have developed a Pertronix to Netgear hack that will force the last digit of everyone's IP address within range to the nearest 100th of my RPM on the fly.

Seriously though, I have to 15th it.... Linksys is great stuff.

They also make a nice repeater that is plug and play to extend your range.

If you have to ask about security though... that's a deeeeeep and ever-evolving subject.
turboman808
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 10 2006, 11:17 PM) *

They also make a nice repeater that is plug and play to extend your range.

What you trying to get signal out at the boat house? I got this ariel antenna real cheap last year. Set it up and I got some really good range. But with strong range in a populated area I got to really have good security. Well not the absolute best but it is password and mac address enabled.
Bleyseng
Hmm, I have never had problems with my Dlink. Down here in Suriname I brought and hooked up a Apple Express for a WiFi at the office. Everyone is still amazed at it and its range is atleast 100ft thru walls. The local IT guy still can't figure out how it works alfred.gif
drewvw

I am surprised nobody is running Belkin gear.

Its very compatible with all types of net cards and you can buy a "g" router for like 40 bucks at home depot. Little known deal...
bd1308
WRT54GX I buy them three at a time.

smile.gif

b
swl
Gee, you must be hard on routers Britt :-)
Gint
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 11 2006, 12:24 AM) *

Linksys WRT54G's are great as their programming is open source and several hacks have been created to allow for access point or client mode.

I've got a Linksys, a Netgear, and a Viewsonic.

All of these wireless routers can be locked with 128bit encryption and you provide the key. that means no one can use your access point.... =-)

Actually, they *were* open source. They aren't any more. The older versions of the G and GS are until you get to version 4 (I think it's 4, check the link below). Unless you buy a WRT54GL. LinkSys decided it was cheaper to buy a third party OS and install half the memory on the G and GS. To their credit, they took the old GS model and continued it in the GL. The L now stands for "Linux" and as you can guess is the open source OS on that model. I bought a version 4 GS and when I realized all of this, I ordered a GL online and took the GS back to Best Buy. Most "brick and mortar" stores don't carry the GL model.

Having said all of that, there are of course older G and GS models that are open source. The newer versions are not.

Here's some info for those that are interested.

Linksys opensource wireless router

Version identification
Yesterdays_Fish
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 11 2006, 10:10 AM) *

WRT54GX I buy them three at a time.

smile.gif

b

The Linksys WRT54G is a very good router. Moreover, there is a strong open source development community for it and finding the information to get you out of trouble will be easy. If you're using the router for a wireless access, Linksys also offers range expanders that can be easily tied in with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.