Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Tranny users....Axle/CV setup question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
As I'm assembling my parts I've got a question regarding what axles/cv's to use. I know I can get an adapter for the tranny side to mate the 914-4 CV/Axle to a 915 tranny. But, I have a complete set of 911 axles/cv's/stubs from the 84 carrera that is my donor car. Can I use these axles at all instead of the 914 axles? (car already has 914-6 stub axles on it). Can I put the adapter on the stub axle side and use the complete 911 Axle and CV's? I'm assuming the stub axle is different so I couldn't just use the entire thing? Do the tranny stubs on the 901 exchange with the stubs on the 915 tranny?

Any words of wisdom from 915 users?
Aaron Cox
do you have a coarse spline 915? or a late fine spline diff...
jim912928
Not sure...It's off an 84 3.2l carrera. I've taken about everything off the 911...now I just have to drop the engine/tranny.
John
One option you may investigate is CV adapters or spacers on the trans side (approximately 3/4" thick).

Another spacer option (which I don't like much) is running a spacer between the stub axle and the bearing (between the stub axle and the hub). This spaces the inside flange of the stub axle inward, making the axle length requirement shorter. One disadvantage to this is that you have less threads sticking through the outer hub.

These adapters or spacers will make the 911 axles long enough to work with the 914. The 911 stub axles will work with 911 rear hubs (if you are already using 914-6 stubs, these will be a direct swap).

The advantage of using 911 CV joints is that you can still buy them.

What I did was I used 914-6 axle shafts and machined the ends to use 911 CV joints. This is almost exactly the same mod performed to use 944 CV joints.

The 914-6 axle shafts have the same splines as the 911, while the 914-4 axle shafts have the same spline as some 944s.

I prefer modifying 914 axle shafts (already the correct length) to accept proper CV joints without adapters/spacers.

just my $0.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.