Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: different springs on sway bar cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hellsbend
got a basic question here, my understanding is that the four cylinder cars had 140 lb springs on the sway bar cars, and 180 lb springs on the bar-less cars-correcto? If so, is there a way to ID them on the car, like a color patch etc? Anyone care to rate the difference in ride and handling between the two? Phil
So.Cal.914
I believe the stock springs were 100lb or less. I put 140lb's on mine and I like them.

Yes I believe the springs are color coded.

Mueller
QUOTE(hellsbend @ Jun 10 2006, 09:16 PM) *

got a basic question here, my understanding is that the four cylinder cars had 140 lb springs on the sway bar cars, and 180 lb springs on the bar-less cars-correcto? If so, is there a way to ID them on the car, like a color patch etc? Anyone care to rate the difference in ride and handling between the two? Phil

whoever gave you that info is dead wrong ............

140's and 180's are popular aftermarket upgrades

for a street car that'll see some auto-x and a few track events once in a while, the 140s are nice

i've had 180s and felt that for me, too stiff....you'll want a bigger front swaybar or bigger front torsion bars if you go with 180's
davep
Yes, stock springs are under 100 lbs/in rate. The color coding is just fine tuning of the rate and probably only useful when new (ie. factory installation). I believe they graded the springs into 3 rate groups and only put matched pairs on the cars. It made no difference which rate group wasa used. The /6 springs were slightly stronger than the /4 springs. Additional stronger springs were available for competion use in the GT parts catalog. I don't think any of the factory springs got up to the 140 lb/in rate. Richie Ginther developed much heavier springs and torsion bars for the 914/6 in competion back in 1970.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.