Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what killed my fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
so i installed a bugpack pressure regulator because i'm running the fi pump on carbs and the pressure was (way) too high.

could it have back-pressured it to death? i ran it for 20 seconds, and the engine never fired.
Aaron Cox
FI pump needs to die...

you are doing a bad thing. buy a carb pump and a regulator.

you need a pump at about 3.5 psi... and webers liek about 3psi...

cbperformance has an internally regulated pump for 50 bucks....

do the right thing... and get the right pump....

lotus_65
prolly true, but i'm just wondering why a perfectly good pump should go at that moment. i have places to be, and no time to swap a pump! mad.gif
MecGen
Hi

Sorry man, using that pump was a fatal error. The injection pump origionaly runs at a high preasure, and uses a return line. I am pretty sure the preasure from the pump before the regulator went skyhi, making a old pump die very quick. The regualtor is basicaly a controled restriction, too much difference between 40psi and 3 psi.

I use a Faucet pump, been very good to me for many years.

Later

beerchug.gif
lotus_65
oops, i shoulda told ya the system was set up with a loop and a restrictor that ended up pushing about 6 lbs to the carbs. i can see that it would die, but it ran that way for the 5+ thousand miles i owned it, knocking it down to 3 lbs and have the pump die on me just sux.

thanks for the help.
So.Cal.914
You can pick up a electric fuel pump at most auto parts stores. And you can have

it installed in an hour, outside two hours. Just Do It.
JPB
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Jun 11 2006, 06:46 AM) *

prolly true, but i'm just wondering why a perfectly good pump should go at that moment. i have places to be, and no time to swap a pump! mad.gif

Sorry bro, without your new pump, your gonna have to walk!

dead horse.gif Hello reality.
Aaron Cox
hummm lets see... 40 psi... restricted to 3 psi... thats alot of backup.....

wrong answer.
Joe Bob
Negative Ghostrider.....the pattern is full.

Always time to do it over, but never enuff time to do it right.....
SirAndy
when i ran my carbed motor, i used the CB rotary pump. best money ever spent ...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2006, 11:38 AM) *

when i ran my carbed motor, i used the CB rotary pump. best money ever spent ...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image

LOL - i ended up with your pump andy... from kaos...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 11 2006, 11:40 AM) *

LOL - i ended up with your pump andy... from kaos...

it's nice, isn't it? and quiet, unlike those *other* carb fuel pumps ...

beerchug.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
wish i woulda bought it in the first place......
Cap'n Krusty
No time to install the right pump, but I'll bet you'll have time to put out the fire ............................................. The Cap'n
lotus_65
man, you guys can be hard! smile.gif

jpb: i had a 40 mile drive to hang with supercar bill. as it was, i had to take my stupid jetta to a 914 party. anyway, watch for the video... you of all will dig it. biggrin.gif

aaron: your right, that is a lot of backup. my comment was that it was already restricted to 6, too bad for me it couldn't handle the last 7.8%. just a comment, young fella. smile.gif

mikez: i didn't do that mod. i have been fixing all this stuff and learning about my car (thanks to you, the cap'n and everyone else here). for me, doing it right IS the rule. determinating what exactly is "right" though, is something of a challenge!

sir andy: thanks for the hookup. part ordered. clap56.gif

paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.