Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helmet for autocross / DE events
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ken914
Finally time to face reality and quit using a full face motorcycle helmet from the '70's.

So what does everyone recommend for autocrosses and PCA DE events? Full face helmet? Buy it at the local motorcycle store?

Questions:
1) How do I figure out the right size
2) what is the right style
3) What brand to get
4) Where to get it
5) What should I end up paying

Thanks!
SLITS
This has been debated here and beat to death. You can get a MC helmet for as little as $50 to use for most AX. AFAIK, DE events require the latest SNELL rating for autos (makes sense); you can't use an MC helmet. These are prolly in the $300 range. Do a search on the site.

To find the size, you measure your gourd and go to the chart on the helmet maker's site.
Dave_Darling
Check the rules for any outfit you wish to run with. In N. Cal, Snell "M" helmets are acceptable for DE events. Your area may require Snell "SA" helmets. Everyone seems to accept "M" helmets for autoX.

How to figure the size? Go to the shop and try the helmets on yourself! They're all made a little differently, and everyone's head is made a little differently. So different brands fit some people better than others. This is something you need to try on yourself to make sure it's comfortable enough to wear for a 20-minute DE track session, but still snug enough to protect you.

I wound up with an open-face M helmet. Less than $100.

--DD
Allan
I just bought one of these for the Lone Pine TT.

Bought on a Saturday and at my door Tuesday.

I know it's good for the drivers ed. clinic that Buttonwillow offers...
Jeroen
Questions:
best way is to go fit one
if buying online, most sellers have sizing instructions

SA 2005 (=car specific) and get a full face

the popular saying is: "if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 dollar helmet" biggrin.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 11 2006, 09:01 AM) *

Questions:
best way is to go fit one
if buying online, most sellers have sizing instructions

SA 2005 (=car specific) and get a full face

the popular saying is: "if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 dollar helmet" biggrin.gif

agree.gif

If you ever *need* a helmet YOU NEED a helmet! Even autocrossing could put you in a place where protecting your pea (and FACE) is critical!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.