Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess this Mystery 914 part & where does it go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
TJB/914
I am starting a new topic "Guess this Part & where does it go"

This is an easy one for Pat. confused24.gif

Tom
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 11 2006, 10:21 AM) *

Tom

Tom,
I KNOW I KNOW ASK ME ASK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary
3d914
Am I supposed to answer here - and spoil it for everone - or do I PM the answer?
TJB/914
Gerard,

Give us the answer so the entire 914 world will know. Then you get a smilie biggrin.gif

Next one is supposed to post his mystery part & starts all over.

This is supposed to be educational for our newby's.

Tom
3d914
In that case - that be the AC pully & goes behind the fan.

Enjoy!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 11 2006, 02:21 PM) *

Tom

WTF.gif
Uh, I don't have air conditioning, so this be the oft-mentioned "whatzit".

Oh boy, this is going to be a fun topic! I'm after my camera & don't know where to start! Feel like I just got my first 3 day pass after basic training! Where's the broads - oops, better try to keep it clean.
Pat Garvey
alfred.gif
Ok, my turn! I love show & tell. Another easy one, but be specific....and there IS a trick involved. heh, heh, heh.
TJB/914
Hey Pat,

This got your automotive G-Spot in gear. Radio has the Click & Clack brothers, we can be the Show & Tell brothers.

Please take better pictures. I can't make out details or I'll get bro B.S.Chairman to take over.

Tom Aka, Show & Tell bro. confused24.gif
BTW: Got your pictures off the "what you look like" along with mine. Any more volunteer's????
Pat Garvey
KMA.gif
Awright! I never said I could take "proper" pic's! But, if I'm not mistaken those are the Show & Tell Bros & they both (hopefully) fit on necks of 914 FREAKS!

The photo of me was cropped from a much larger one - besides, who gives a sh_t what I look like? I could post my 8th grade Catholic school photo, but you know about the wierdos out there - I WAS a good looking kid. See what happens when mother nature gets hold.

So, come on, the photo of the "thingy" isn't that bad! I'll give you a clue - Koni
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2006, 05:23 PM) *

KMA.gif
Awright! I never said I could take "proper" pic's! But, if I'm not mistaken those are the Show & Tell Bros & they both (hopefully) fit on necks of 914 FREAKS!

The photo of me was cropped from a much larger one - besides, who gives a sh_t what I look like? I could post my 8th grade Catholic school photo, but you know about the wierdos out there - I WAS a good looking kid. See what happens when mother nature gets hold.

So, come on, the photo of the "thingy" isn't that bad! I'll give you a clue - Koni

I did this already remember about two weeks ago or more!!!! Your old car pics or something like that. Tom posted me sitting on the front bumper.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 11 2006, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2006, 05:23 PM) *

KMA.gif

I did this already remember about two weeks ago or more!!!! Your old car pics or something like that. Tom posted me sitting on the front bumper.

Yep, i DO remember. The phot I was looking for is on a slide & I'm having a bunch of them converted to dig. Bear w/me - even I can't believe what I looked like after winning my first concours in 1973 - embarrasing.
TJB/914
Ok, lets get back on track.

Pat's photo is of the cup/bracket that supports the rear spring on the rear suspension. See the little drain hole?

Tom
Assuming I am correct. Here's a new show & tell by the bro's. boys.
It's usually missing on 90% of the cars I've judged.
Common (newby's) guys this is for others to answer correctly. Were just posting for the newby's.

JeffBowlsby
I know I know...my car does not have one...were they only on the early cars?

Its one of those rubber doo-hickeys mounted to the edge of the engine lid. I think its to prevent damage to the rear trunk lid when the engine lid is up at the same time.
boxstr
That is the rubber snubber that is supposed to be secure to the engine lid.
Craig
Rusty
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 12 2006, 02:42 AM) *

alfred.gif
Ok, my turn! I love show & tell. Another easy one, but be specific....and there IS a trick involved. heh, heh, heh.

Isn't that piece a spring perch? Hard to tell from that angle & color. idea.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
TJB/914
Jeff & Craig win & Rusty needs to study harder. Do We have a Concours Smilie???

This requires more research. I think this rubber stop & reinforcing angle (part #'s 914-512-195-10 & 914-512-325-10) in the body section 8/5 fitted to the engine lid is proper for my 1974. I don't believe they were factory on the early models 1970 to ??

Need help from the Concours Police Experts. smilie biggrin.gif

Tom
TJB/914
Forgot to say the bolt is 6mm x 15mm lg with washer (yellow dichromate finish) and the rubber stop & reinforcing angle should still be available through your Porsche Dealer.

Tom
sixerdon
Interesting. The rubber buffer is found on all 914-6's. That's the first time I heard of it being on a four. The '6's needed it because there was no rain tray on the six lid to prevent the the rear deck lid from hitting the engine lid. All of my junk cars (all 4's) with engine lids do not have this part. The parts book says it came with the '6, 914-4, (also 1.7) and 2.0. But NOT the 1.8 which is curious.
Also the profile of yours is tapered with a slight "J" at the end. Both of my '6's are straight with the hole at the end and without the "J".
I'd like to here from Pat to see what's on his '72.

Don
Rusty
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 12 2006, 01:48 PM) *

Jeff & Craig win & Rusty needs to study harder. Do We have a Concours Smilie???

<snip>

Tom

Are we talking about the same picture? I was referring to the large round thing in Pat's picture... not the rubber piece.

-Rusty smoke.gif
TJB/914
Lawrence,

My mistake & I apologize. You are correct and a winner pray.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 11 2006, 10:07 PM) *

Pat's photo is of the cup/bracket that supports the rear spring on the rear suspension. See the little drain hole?

Tom
Common (newby's) guys this is for others to answer correctly. Were just posting for the newby's.

YOU are exactly right! You win todays smile.gif ! I'll try to do better with my photography in the future. By the way, that cup is only for Konis. Anyone need 2 of these? They're free for the shipping.
TJB/914
I am back from the garage. Just took pictures of off forum mystery quiz on Porsche parts (just out of the powdercoaters).

I'll give you a little hint, it's not 4-cyl.

What is it???? boldblue.gif

Tom
BTW: Hey Pat, where are the answers on the rubber stop?? What year's apply???
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 12 2006, 08:16 AM) *

Interesting. The rubber buffer is found on all 914-6's. That's the first time I heard of it being on a four. The '6's needed it because there was no rain tray on the six lid to prevent the the rear deck lid from hitting the engine lid. All of my junk cars (all 4's) with engine lids do not have this part. The parts book says it came with the '6, 914-4, (also 1.7) and 2.0. But NOT the 1.8 which is curious.
Also the profile of yours is tapered with a slight "J" at the end. Both of my '6's are straight with the hole at the end and without the "J".

Don

Don,
Same parts on my '72. Not certain about the following years though & would like to know. Never could see the use for this thing.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 12 2006, 09:13 PM) *

I am back from the garage. Just took pictures of off forum mystery quiz on Porsche parts (just out of the powdercoaters).

I'll give you a little hint, it's not 4-cyl.

What is it???? boldblue.gif

Tom
BTW: Hey Pat, where are the answers on the rubber stop?? What year's apply???

I believe the rubber stop ceased with the 1.7's.

Admittedly, I'm ignorant of 911 engine parts, though some of these look like chain tensioner/cam cover. The others? Beats me! I'm a four banger dude.
TJB/914
Pat,

Your correct the bottom pictures are 911 6-cyl chain tensioner/cam covers with a wrinkle powder coat finish. The other pictures are 6-cyl heat shields w/shinny black powdercoat finish that will be covered upon assembly. Our 914-4 cyl had similiar type heat shields the tuck up under the air cooled heads.

Tom
BTW: Looking for other mystery pictures from other members. Remember this is to help our members collect those difficult and scarce parts. These are the fun things to collect and install. popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 12 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Lawrence,

My mistake & I apologize. You are correct and a winner pray.gif

Tom

smile.gif
Yep, it's a lower spring perch, but only for Koni shocks. Boge is original.
Pat Garvey

Don

Hey Don,
I "re-looked" at the one on my 72 & it IS different. Basic shape is the same, but the lower, bulbous end w/the hole in it is different! Mine has he hole through it, but not the bulbous end on it - it's the same thickness as the rest of the piece. Interesting & when I dig into my parts manual (admittedly, not updated) it only shows the one part.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 13 2006, 04:49 PM) *

Don

Hey Don,
I "re-looked" at the one on my 72 & it IS different. Basic shape is the same, but the lower, bulbous end w/the hole in it is different! Mine has he hole through it, but not the bulbous end on it - it's the same thickness as the rest of the piece. Interesting & when I dig into my parts manual (admittedly, not updated) it only shows the one part.

Same as mine. So now what?? We have to be on the look out for different buffers on different cars? Early vs late?
Sheesh!
So what year is yours from Tom?
Don
TJB/914
Sixerdon (Don)

My car is a 1974. I ordered a new one from Porsche when restoring my car in about 1998. I don't remember details of the old one. All I can say it was ordered properly for a 1974.

That's why restored cars will never equal original unmolested concours cars. The original ones we know about are special (Steve, Pat & the other's on this site). I would rather look at (1) original than (10) restored cars. My personal taste.

Tom
sixerdon
Thanks Tom,
It still remains to be seen if, in fact, the piece you have is a replacement or if the design is correct for the year. And,........when were they no longer installed by the factory. I have an unmolested '75 (11/74) 2.0 with only 13K miles on it without the buffer. The parts book I have is dated '74 and the listing indicates the 1.8 was not supplied with it. However, it is checked off for the 2.0.
More input is required to see which years had them and which ones did not.

Don
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 11 2006, 03:42 PM) *

alfred.gif

Stock OEM for Boge Shock..
BTW >>Looks Nice!!
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 12 2006, 05:13 PM) *

Tom

YOU are exactly right! You win todays smile.gif ! I'll try to do better with my photography in the future. By the way, that cup is only for Konis. Anyone need 2 of these? They're free for the shipping.

Hmmmmmmm Konis??? Looks like the Boge???
Hard to say from the top shot..
Tell me what to drink so I can focus better.. drunk.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jun 14 2006, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 12 2006, 05:13 PM) *

Tom

Hmmmmmmm Konis??? Looks like the Boge???
Hard to say from the top shot..
Tell me what to drink so I can focus better.. drunk.gif

beer3.gif
Yeah, looks the samebut not. My car came originally w/Boge. Converted to Koni & it required diff upper & lower caps, as well as lower bolt/washer & nut. Opening diameter is slightly different in the lower cap. Went back to Boge & had to replace the parts because I WAS YOUNG & STUPID & DIDN"T KEEP THE OLD PARTS (yeah, I know I'm yelling). That's it - and why these parts are left. Have no idea where the others are!!!! Still stupid, I guess.
TJB/914
I am back with more.

The first one you probabally have a few missing & need to have extra's. I did a mental count & I would say every 914 has a dozen or more.

Tom
TJB/914
Another needed concours part

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 02:06 PM) *

Another needed concours part

Tom

beerchug.gif
First photo is interior screw hole plugs - still have all mine.
Second photo is plug wire clamps, secured to holes in the engine sheet metal. BTW, mine are white plastic.
JeffBowlsby
Hey Tom I need those plug wire clamps for my Bumblebee...are yours FS?
TJB/914
Pat & other CW's.

Here we go again "White" plug wire clamps. When did they change white to black clamps?? popcorn[1].gif

The one's on my 1974 2.0 liter were black.
Another question I have regarding (2) wire clamps & (3) wire clamps (spares) shown in my parts stash?? Looking at Electrical
diagram 9/12A shows part # 311.905.451 (#29) for a 4-cyl car for (2) wires. & part # 111.201.261 (#30) for (1) wire clamps. I can't see my wire clamps on my engine because they are hidden under all other engine stuff. Is the (3) wire clamp for a 6-cyl.??? I can't find a part # for this one.

Tom
TJB/914
Hi Jeff. Not FS, but they are free to you. Do you want the (2) wire clamp or (3) wire clamps. Also, did you get my sample rivet & did you see my note on some spare wire harnesses for parts??

Tom
tod914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 03:59 PM) *

Hi Jeff. Not FS, but they are free to you. Do you want the (2) wire clamp or (3) wire clamps. Also, did you get my sample rivet & did you see my note on some spare wire harnesses for parts??

Tom

The 2 wire ones are still available.. 2 WIRE CLIP
914/4 2 Wire
113 905 451 A
Ignition Wire Holder
914/4 2 Wire

http://www.net-parts-express.com/
JeffBowlsby
Thanks Tom! I need the 2 wire clip and I also need two single wire clips, which on my car were white. I am doing a light induction system maintenance on the Bumblebee and these clips broke off as I removed them from the tin. I tried to get them from the usual suspects but they all said they were NLA. I would be happy to pay you for it Tom, just let me know.

I also received the rivet just yesterday. Thanks for that too. I owe you...

Thanks for the source on the clip Tod.

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 12:59 PM) *

Tom

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Pat & other CW's.

Here we go again "White" plug wire clamps. When did they change white to black clamps?? popcorn[1].gif

The one's on my 1974 2.0 liter were black.
Another question I have regarding (2) wire clamps & (3) wire clamps (spares) shown in my parts stash?? Looking at Electrical
diagram 9/12A shows part # 311.905.451 (#29) for a 4-cyl car for (2) wires. & part # 111.201.261 (#30) for (1) wire clamps. I can't see my wire clamps on my engine because they are hidden under all other engine stuff. Is the (3) wire clamp for a 6-cyl.??? I can't find a part # for this one.

Tom

alfred.gif
You're right Tom - here we go again!
My 72 has 3 doubles & 2 singles, in white. The earalier 4's (not sure when it changed) had 3 doubles & one single! In white also. No THREE's & no black!
Heh, heh - I love this!
TJB/914
Hey Guys,

This is so much fun trying to figure what's white, black & metal. I never realized the differences from year to year. This will drive Pat nuts.

Here's a new one (picture).
See the new white/cream fuel line clips along side the original takeoff's from my 1974. Wonder why the new replacement fuel line clamps have black push pins???

Tom
BTW Jeff: The (2) wire clamp (black) is yours. I only have the one & will look on my parts car for more. It may take a week or so to gather everything together from my parts car.
grasshopper
hey thomas, do you still have the three wire clamps?? how much do you want for them?? I need these, and can't find them anywhere..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Hey Guys,

This is so much fun trying to figure what's white, black & metal. I never realized the differences from year to year. This will drive Pat nuts.

Here's a new one (picture).
See the new white/cream fuel line clips along side the original takeoff's from my 1974. Wonder why the new replacement fuel line clamps have black push pins???

Tom
BTW Jeff: The (2) wire clamp (black) is yours. I only have the one & will look on my parts car for more. It may take a week or so to gather everything together from my parts car.

wacko.gif
Ok Tom, now you have me! Where are these things located? Look familiar. Don't see them In my engine compartment. Are they below? I can't find them, but they sure look familiar. Gimmee a hint!
TJB/914
Hey Barry aka Grasshopper

I assume Jeff (first in line) is not interested in the (3) wire clamps. If he does not want them they are yours (no charge, I don't need them). I have two of them so send me your ship to address. What does the (3) wire clamps fit???

My email

tjbliznik@ameritech.net

Tom

grasshopper
If I am correct, there are for the spark plug wires on a 914-6. They go on the engine shroud.
TJB/914
Pat.

The white/cream clips hold the old style hard plastic fuel lines in the engine compartment. I still have mine in the 914 & located just above & near the MPS. I never replaced my fuel plastic lines because they are in excellent shape. I know, I know I should replace them. I keep a fire exthinguisher in the 914 & check the fuel lines often.

Tom
TJB/914
Grasshopper,

914-6 sound ok to me. I just don't know how I got them. Send me your ship to address.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 18 2006, 10:34 PM) *

Pat.

The white/cream clips hold the old style hard plastic fuel lines in the engine compartment. I still have mine in the 914 & located just above & near the MPS. I never replaced my fuel plastic lines because they are in excellent shape. I know, I know I should replace them. I keep a fire exthinguisher in the 914 & check the fuel lines often.

Tom

Tom,
Geez, this is tiring me! Can you send a photo (I know, you'll need to get "small" to do it.). These parts look familar, but not on my 72 - all the fuel lines are held in place by metal "crimp" clamps. Still, these look familiar & it's driving me nuts! Need to see them in place - please, please, please!

Did I mention "please"? Why am I doing this? Now, even my wife thinks I've gone over the edge. I explain that it's educational.......don't think she's buying it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.