Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the exact Optima Battery to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav
I was reading through the archives and everyones says they have an Optima.

Which freaking Optima is it. I went to the web site and there are a bunch to chose from.
seanery
the 34R looks good to me, but my car has a different one on it.
If I were gonna buy one, I'd buy the Orange one (34R).
olav
Thanks.

The Orange 34R it is then.
Curvie Roadlover
They're on ebay right now for about $140 including S&H
olav
Thanks!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Sep 30 2003, 11:47 AM)
They're on ebay right now for about $140 including S&H

i paid less than that at my local car parts dealer ...
MarkV
The red has the negative terminal on the wrong side. It will work if your cables are long enough to reach.
JeffBowlsby
Uh...I have a red top 34R...the R stands for 'reverse terminals...which is what our 914 cars need. The standard 34 fits too, but the terminals are a little further away...(got a 34 in the white car before I knew about the 34R).

I recently heard that Optima does not make the orange top no mo...can anyone confirm?

Olav - Get the 'Group 78' GM puck adapter too...free on request from Optima. It replaces your stock battery clamp and accommodates the Optima perfectly. Just Call Optima they will send one right out.
Jeff Bonanno
both can deliver an a$$whooping to an FI.

w00t.gif w00t.gif
Demick
Costco now sells Optima Red tops. $99 if I remember correctly.
ChrisReale
While my terminals were long enuff, I just turned it around. Didn't take rocket science... blink.gif
seanery
The last optima I bought was a blue top. I got it for $99. It pays to shop locally!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Red Top from G.I. Joes for $99. I use it in my Squareback and 914 (Jetta has her own Red Top). Terminal position doesn't matter...it fits and locks in no problem.
jarbuthnot
What's the average lifetime of an Optima battery? Nothing in the archives about it.
JeffBowlsby
The late Bob Wood (RIP) claimed he had 9+ years on his Optima in his 914/6. He stored his car in a hermetically sealed bubble with a trickle charger for 6 mos of the year.

The real benefit to an Optima (or similar closed cell) is that it will not rot your body...

Bob Ws car is now Mike Ginters, residing in Colorado in full restoration mode....
jarbuthnot
Sounds like it's definitely worth the money. Guess I'll have to order one also. Thanks.
anthony
The Red Top fit fine after I put in a newer, longer ground strap.
olav
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 30 2003, 11:31 AM)
Uh...I have a red top 34R...the R stands for 'reverse terminals...which is what our 914 cars need. The standard 34 fits too, but the terminals are a little further away...(got a 34 in the white car before I knew about the 34R).

I recently heard that Optima does not make the orange top no mo...can anyone confirm?

Olav - Get the 'Group 78' GM puck adapter too...free on request from Optima. It replaces your stock battery clamp and accommodates the Optima perfectly. Just Call Optima they will send one right out.

Ok, Thanks. I'll give them a call about that asap.
tod914
The Costco by me only has the model 35. Will that work?
anthony
Olav, I'd just get the cheap one at Costco and then get a new, longer ground cable - unless you can find the orange one locally or the "R" model that someone else mentioned.
PatW
I have an orange top Optima in my 914!. wavey.gif

Check with Auto All Parts on Merdian Ave in San Jose. w00t.gif
seanery
Olav's car is orange...I bet he gets the orange top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.