Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Run from LA to Wichita Falls
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
Since parts of this are strung out over a couple of threads, I figured I make a single one to relate it all in. (All times are in CST BTW)

Overall it was really a good trip with a couple of hiccups. smile.gif I flew out to LA Thursday morning and got there around 1610, and was riding back with Leamon around 1640ish. By the way, he's a great guy to deal with for all who're interested. We, or him rather since I'm still somewhat new to the 914s, checked valve lash, fixed a few small odds and ends, and made an initial test run around with the car. There's a few small touches of rust, but none of it looks anywhere major. (pass floor pan, and spotted a little on the door where the paint was chipped. The longs and HH look great, and I think I'm gonna replace the rocker panels, or at least pull them and fix some minor cosmetic damage.

Anyhow, everything looked good, and I started on my way back around 11ish (CST again) that night. Speedometer was inop, so I just sorta followed traffic and rode at what felt about natural, so 3300-3600 RPM in 5th. Seems like that's somewhere between 73-80 or something. I made it to Blythe around 0430 and crashed for the night. I seem to recall some stuff that looks like it would have been neat to see, but it was a neat drive by a nearly full moon.

Work called at 0930 Friday morning to tell me that stuff was broke, and if I had any idea of how to fix it. They got it squared away a few hours later as I understand it... Had to borrow a hammer (forgot to buy one at the LA Walmart the night before) to get the car started, but once I tapped it a few times in the magic spots, it fired right up and hummed away. No real clue when I left... Prob 11ish.

A few minutes after leaving the hotel, the fuse for the gauges blew, and I lost tach, fuel, and blinkers. Not a big deal at the time, because I knew I had plenty. I found a few in the center under the cushion, and stopped at a roadside park about an hour and fifteen west of Phoenix or so, changed the fuse real quick, and went to back out, never turning off the car (didn't wanna mess with trying to start it w/o a hammer). headbang.gif I stalled it, or so I thought. Tried it a few times, and it'd cough and sputter for 3-4 seconds, and then nothing. And then just nothing. I called Leamon back up, and we started through the normal trouble shooting stuff. Are the hoses on, were there any other fuses I might have messed with, since it worked prior to then, does it have spark, does it have fuel. Pretty much in that order. I was having a hard time trying to check the fuel (it had spark and air) because I didn't wanna break the plastic lines on the side of the road. The return line had hardly any pressure on it at all. Then we checked relays. I didn't have any with me, and the other one on board didn't appear to fix it either. After looking through the Hayes I had with me, and calling Lee back, we decided that the fuel pump was not running and the relay was prob bad. Lee posted a thread for me for help, and I sat scratching my head for a bit trying to remember the pinout on relays. Throwing that out, I just strung some wire from the pump positive to the engine bay and tested for continuity between the two pins I wasn't sure of and the pump. Bingo! Cut about 3" of wire, jumpered it and it fired right up. Through it all, an older couple stopped and offered me a couple of bottles of water, and insisted after I mentioned that I still had about 7 gallons in the trunk. beer3.gif Came in very handy later, as those big bottles aren't "user-friendly". Also had a couple (married or co-workers I'm not sure) that worked at the rest stop come check on me from time to time, and let me borrow their hammer, and offered to run me to get some gas if necessary. Unfortunately, they were gone for lunch I think when I got the car running, and I don't recall their names. On to Phoenix!

Seems like I got in to Phoenix around 1 or 2 or 3 CST. I was already a little worn from the morning's dealings, and Rob (a fellow Monte Carlo Owner) allowed me to recover at his place for a while, take a shower and enjoy the A/C. Also picked up the radio and speakers from him as well. Nothing special, but since I didn't see an obvious positive wire from the last radio install, and the garage was hot, I blew that off. biggrin.gif Greg called, and we met up with him, I believe after making him wait for a few minutes. Didn't see his (very nice drooley.gif ) 968 on the other end of the parking lot. Also wasn't quick enough to see his club hat when he asked if it was a Fiat. huh.gif Enjoyed greatly the opportunity to talk to him for a bit, and he provided some replacement relays to get me home, in addition to a copy of the Emergency contact list. Much better than the jumper wire I had going. (I think I'm a little more attentitive when I've not been on the road for hundreds of miles in the heat driving.gif )

After a run to Harbor freight so I could get a jack and a hammer, we got a bite at Wendy's looked over everyone's cars (my 914, Matt's 87 Aero, and Rob's 85 Monte SS CCC 406/T56 setup). After dinner and some catching up, I got a late start outta there, and was in Flagstaff by 0100 Saturday CST. (Had intended to leave around 1800 local time, but advised that traffic may not be pleasant at that time). One the way out, I replaced the gauge fuse again so I could see how much fuel I had left. It hasn't blown since, but there appears to be a couple of shorts... More later.

Anyways, got into Flagstaff at 0111 CST and drove to four or five different hotels, and every one was full. After topping off again and walking around for a few minutes, I took off again down I40 East in search of a place to stay. Landed in Holbrook sometime between 3 and 4AM. I had to look a few places there for a hotel that wasn't full... A friend of mine there in Plano called around 0930 the next morning and woke me up early for a second time in a row. yawn.gif

Saturday I took off and made it into Amarillo by 1830 CST. Minor heat exhaustion, stopped, got a few Gatorades and drank the other bottle from the rest stop that was given to me, and felt a little better. Along the way, I wiped out a 2' tumble weed that a gust blew right in front of me and I ran right over. Pulled over a few miles later and checked to make sure that nothing was injured, but since the oil temp still worked, figured all was well. Had some lunch somewhere along. chowtime.gif (McD's). After lunch, I hit some construction, and noticed that as I sped up to a truck in front of me, the car seemed to smoke for a few seconds. I pulled over at the next exit and went over everything, didn't see any oil leaks anywhere, the engine sounded good, nothing under the car to see and no unusual noises.. I came to figure that I had been driving too slow in 5th, or something and I had "cleared" the cylinders when I shifted to 4th and went to catch up. That was the first and only time of the trip that I noticed smoke from the car. Got back on the road and booked it to Texas. I was craving some Cracker Barrel, so I was hunting for that when I noticed a bad sound from the rear. Pulled into the parking lot of Graham Central Station and looked again. Didn't see anything, but it sounded serious enough. So I did a figure 8 in the parking lot, and lost the ability to go. Seemed like the car would go into gear, but a bad chewing/rattle came from the rear driver's tire. I was afraid that the clutch had gone after being abused by a driver "relearning" (short curve, just need a little more finesse). I gave Clay a call, and he about had it head on with the CV joint, initially having me check that the bolts were in. (Enter jack from Phoenix!) As a backup, I called my neighbor, who had offered before I left to tow me home if I was "within a day's drive", in the event that the truck deal didn't fan out.

So, after the realization that the CV joint was actually bad, I told Clay that I'd prob get a U-Haul and get it home in the morning. He made a very generous offer to grab the parts and tools and book it my way and get me fixed, but since I was only a few hours from home, there was no need to put him through a 12 hour round trip. I walked the three blocks to a Motel 6, checked in, and called parts stores, to hear that it'd have to be ordered. Woke up this morning and called all the U-Haul places. Several had dollies, but none had available trucks or full trailers to rent out. So I rung up Dave, my neighbor, and he left around 9:30, rolled in a little after 1:00, and we were making time back home by 2:15.

As a note, I ran into a fellow at a gas station in Clarendon I think and we talked for a few moments. He used to have a 914 with a 327 conversion.

I had an issue Friday with blowing the fuse for the gauges, the left of the cluster of three 16 Amp fuses. I went through four or so before it quit blowing. It looks like I may have a couple of shorts, or am ignorant of some knowledge of one of them. The brake light stayed on the entire time (while the fuse wasn't blown anyways), and flashed with the turn signals, or when I actived some other accessory. And yes, the E-brake was off. smile.gif The other short, if I play with the vent controls, while the gauge fuse was blown, the tach and sometimes the fuel gauge would jump or stay steady. After leaving Phoenix, I had to adjust the vent controls (they had been at the right side) to the left to keep it cooler in the cab; the brake light flashed, and the tach bumped, but no fuses blew.

So I'm back home. About to re-arrange the cars so I can put the 914 in the proper place tomorrow, and take the dolly back sometime tomorrow. I have a feeling that I'll catch a hard time about the new tan... The left arm's a little darker and redder than the right. biggrin.gif

Once again, thanks for all the replies and offers for help on my issues, it's hard to believe that this is such an awesome community, even after watching it for almost a year! I'd bet that maybe outside of the HOGs, there's not many other communities/owner's groups that offer up help and advise like this one does.

biggrin.gif Once I get that driveshaft in, I'll definitely feel like it'll be my car!

I seem to have had some issues with the camera, not sure it took all I tried for. Greg and Matt both have some while I was in Phoenix, so I see what I can stick up here. happy11.gif
David_S
Michael....I still wish that I would have gotten online last night and could have helped ya !!! Not very often around here that you get to meet up with another teener owner. Graham Central Station ......what a place !!!! Glad to hear that you made it home. I need to find the "Emergency Contact List" and get added on to it!!
MBowman325
What's interesting is that the last time I came from NM, several years ago, I had an issue that put me up in a hotel for the night in Vega. The headlights went out about 2 miles past the state line into Texas. Rode the brake with the hazards on for some light and had to deal with the construction.

Figured out the next day that I could have jumpered from the battery to the headlight with some wire I carried... confused24.gif It'd been a fun weekend in Colorado Springs, and after the stress of driving with no lights for that long with semi's flashing me, I just wanted to sleep.

That must be a stretch of bad luck for me. biggrin.gif Next time I'll come in through I10 or Oklahoma.

S'all good, but you can holler at Greg Robbins to get on the Contact list, so next time I come through and break down... happy11.gif

Working on the teener is an important activity as well, and like I tell people at work, I'm not physic, don't expect anyone else to be either. laugh.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE(David_S @ Jun 11 2006, 08:52 PM) *

Michael....I still wish that I would have gotten online last night and could have helped ya !!! Not very often around here that you get to meet up with another teener owner. Graham Central Station ......what a place !!!! Glad to hear that you made it home. I need to find the "Emergency Contact List" and get added on to it!!

Here I am. Send me a PM with your name, state, city, contact phone numbers and notes. Like: trailer, tow, parts, tools, bed, food, internet, or what ever you can/will do to help. Follow the link in my signature to find out how to get a copy.

Good meeting you Michael. Glad to hear you made it home. I will post pictures later.
Heeltoe914
What a great adventure. Wow Michael you where really pretty well prepared for your trip. I always feel better when I see guys with a large ammo boxe for a road trip like the one you just did. I can tell you of my own experience of loosing a CV joint on the way bake from the 914 Tour 2000 trip. I lost mine in traffic and had to push of to the side of the freeway. I had three other 914 with me so we had two extra CV knowing Sh-t happens. But when we tried to get the car off the freeway to make the repairs we didn’t tie up the axle to prevent it from swinging out of control. So the clutch bracket and the plastic white pulley got taken out. Very bad, My group and I decided that all of are cars where going to start and finish the 2000 mile trip under there own power. We ran down to a local hardware store found a metal pulley and some other misc, parts and within two hours we where back on the road with the help of some KY jelly to keep things lubed. (that what one of the cars had on hand). It happens.
Very glad to here that you are home now. I sleep better when the buyers make it home.
I would start cleaning all grounds and clean up all connection. This may fix the short in the gauges. Get some contact cleaner and pull the relay board, clean, clean, and clean.
If you need a CV let me know I can ship one out to you ASAP and to fix the hot start at the starter get a big relay from Pep boys. For $12 bucks and that should do it.
Thanks for sharing your story and understanding that I am not Physic but we try.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.