Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New V8 Mufflers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I just bought this set of mufflers to use on my V8 car. They are stainless and have a valved tip. This will cut down the useless noise and make the car more palatable to drive.

IPB Image

sj914
Details please. popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
I just want to know where to find the vaccume valve....

When you get on the gas, the vaccume valve opens and allows you to bypass the muffler... and it goes through the restrictive quiet muffler when not on throttle... Standard issue on ferrari's I believe..

Cant find the freeking valve anywhere...
Dr. Roger
2006 CADILLAC XLR-V's have a vacuum-actuated Pierburg valve mufflers.
audi TT 3.2's
farrari's obviously
Zo6 Vette
Andyrew
Pierburg eh...

now if only I can find a distributor...

Andrew
v82go

Yes these are VERY quiet ! With the windows up and the a/c on- I have to look at the tach to see if its running. (noisy a/c fan) with the center valves open, it has a
rather deep chambered note.
Bob
cobra94563
Where'd you get them and how much, if you don't mine?
popcorn[1].gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:20 AM) *

Where'd you get them and how much, if you don't mine?
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
boldblue.gif wub.gif EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Details pleeeeeeez.
v82go

Mine are 575M MARANELLO mufflers (Ferrari) Retail for $7,000 (a pair at the dealer) My cost was $190 plus shipping @ Ebay.

Bob
wbergtho
I definitely need something way more quiet than my Dynomax mufflers. My car is so excessively noisey. How quiet are they hooked to a V-8? I'm sure a hell of alot better than what I have.

Bill
JmuRiz
Wow, that's an awesome price for anything from a Ferrari, very cool. Wonder if I can get one of them...for my new project (I6 engine)
drive-ability
I got them via EBAY, they come up from time to time. They seem to sell for 200 or less. I have seen others place them higher but don't sell. I paid 180 including shipping. I excepted to spend around 100 more but got lucky. They are heavy and shipping is 40 to 70 dollars. There is a set that is split and it didn't sell. Search for Ferrari mufflers using the completed auction tool. You might get a line on one from the seller direct.

IPB Image
cobra94563
Bob (v82go),

Do the mufflers' bypass valve open at the full throttle only or are you able to modify the vacuum switch?
I wonder if it will be a problem if you have a mild cam, with NOT a high vacuum at idle.

driving.gif

Chris
v82go
I use a small (manual) vacuum pump, give it 3 or 4 squeezes and they are open,
push on the little relief valve and they are shut. My motor does not produce enough vacuum to operate these. (327/340hp)

Bob
Dr. Roger
i bet those vacuum diaphrams operate off the spark port, not the vacuum port. above the butterfly.

meaning there is only vacuum under load.

not enough HP... has nothing to do with vacuum. my lawn mower has the same amount of vacuum as my 355cid SBC. =-)
cobra94563
So I assume the spark port is upper hose connections on the carb..

But is there a way other to make the mufflers work other than operating the valve manually? (- kind of a drag) wacko.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
Andyrew
Any way we can locate a dealer that sells these?

I need them for a friends car... and I want them for my car.... (cutouts after header... hooo ha...)
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jun 12 2006, 02:08 PM) *

So I assume the spark port is upper hose connections on the carb..

But is there a way other to make the mufflers work other than operating the valve manually? (- kind of a drag) wacko.gif smiley_notworthy.gif

that's how they do it. attach the muffler valve actuator hose to a spark port. not a vacuum port. then every time you punch it, the valve opens the muffs. =-)

the spark port is the one that gets vacuum only when you touch the throttle.
drive-ability
My engine uses Edelbrock EFI and I don't have a "Ported Vacuum " source. I can drill one in and may, but I can install a vacuum solenoid triggered by a micro switch on the linkage. I will need a vacuum reservoir as well. I am also going to install an exhaust crossover in front of the mufflers.

Just found this vacuum switch It will work perfict.
bondo
Are they still muffled with the valve open, or do they just open up a straight pipe? If I can find stainless mufferls I like, I may try to go all stainless for the exhaust of my LT1 project.
drive-ability
QUOTE(bondo @ Jun 12 2006, 07:30 PM) *

Are they still muffled with the valve open, or do they just open up a straight pipe? If I can find stainless mufferls I like, I may try to go all stainless for the exhaust of my LT1 project.

I am still waiting to receive the mufflers and don't know how the valved section is plumed. I think its likely not a straight through port.
Dr. Roger
when activated, they bypass a few internal baffles reducing back pressure and make more sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.