Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay Hoax.... a tricky one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Beware.... I got an email today.... the title of the email was:

"RECIEPT TOR YOUR PAYMENT TO XXXXXXXXXX"

And.... it was from the SAME email address as the actual Paypal address.

You open the email, and it looks like the email that Paypal sends you every other ll it was a time you pay for something via paypal.

Of course..... the trick is to say to yourself "Hey..... I didn't buy a $220 watch on Ebay"

Conveniently, there is a link at the bottom of the page entitled "dispute this charge"

Click the link........ and enter your paypal name and password....... and they've got you.

I ALMOST did it...... the ONLY way I was able to tell it was a spoof was to compare the letter to other letters I've recieved from Paypal.

Paypal addresses you by your eBay handle
Paypal does not provide a "dispute this charge" link in their emails.

Otherwise... you can't tell the difference. BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Best of luck..

--Matt
Hammy
Yes. I get them about once every two days.
You can usually tell by hovering your mouse over the link they give you in the email and looking at the lower left corner of your browser window. It'll usually be some weird site in front of a "paypal.com" but NOT the real paypal site.
nbscooters
by going through the source of those emails, i found the html page that stores those emails and passwords all on columns that stretch for pages.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Jun 11 2006, 10:09 PM) *

it was from the SAME email address as the actual Paypal address.

Internet-Email Lesson #1:

*anybody* can send Email using *anybody's* email address.

i can send you an email that will look like it came from Bill Gates. or George W. Bush. or anybody else for that matter. if i run my own email server, i can even make it look like it came from Microsoft. or the Whitehouse. or anywhere else ...

never ever go to any of those sites (ebay, paypal, your bank, etc.) through a link in an email. never. ever.

always type in the url in your browser and go from there ...
type.gif Andy
Rusty
Can you send me one from my boss... giving me the week off? biggrin.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
rhodyguy
since kevin NEVER uses paypal, he knows ANY email like that is bogus. "why i refuse to use paypal #4".

k
turboman808
Yeah whenever you get any email dealing with money always go to the site to check it out. Never click on the link in the email.

Gotten a couple like that before.

Oh by the way I bid on some wheels a few days ago. After I bid I checked the shipping charges. $750 blink.gif
Canceled my bid real fast. ALways check the shipping before you bid.
914Sixer
I open the suckers, click on forward and ship the straight to:

spoof@paypal or spoof@ebay

They will get back to you right away and let you know they are not ligitimate. It also gives the the address of the people that are sending them so they can go get them.
jd74914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 12 2006, 09:48 AM) *

since kevin NEVER uses paypal, he knows ANY email like that is bogus. "why i refuse to use paypal #4".

k

thats what i do, everyone accepts cash or MOs smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.