Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold start valve.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
magaoidh
I have just found out the price of a new cold start valve for a '73 2 litre, eek!
I couldnt find any gold plating on them so....
Do I need one? Can I bypass without any probs? How about good second hand,being D jet FI could I use the VW equivalent and save?
Thanks, anyone?
turbo914v8
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Jun 12 2006, 02:23 AM) *

I have just found out the price of a new cold start valve for a '73 2 litre, eek!
I couldnt find any gold plating on them so....
Do I need one? Can I bypass without any probs? How about good second hand,being D jet FI could I use the VW equivalent and save?
Thanks, anyone?

I can sell you a used one. PM me if interested.
Rand
Do I need one? Can I bypass without any probs?

Mine is long gone. Not a concern here. What's your climate like? It has to be pretty cold for the cold start valve to even kick in.
jd74914
It only has to be like 45degrees IIRC for the valve to kick in. I'd probably need to be a quite a bit cooler to make it an absolute necessity though.
Goge
I bypassed mine, got rid of the aux air valve too. No problems with starting whatsoever.

-Todd
magaoidh
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 12 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Do I need one? Can I bypass without any probs?

Mine is long gone. Not a concern here. What's your climate like? It has to be pretty cold for the cold start valve to even kick in.

Bloody warm most of the time,never gets to zero centigrade! Summer 100 degrees!
magaoidh
I meant 100 degrees F. LOL
r_towle
bypass it.

I live in the northeast, it gets cold here...just let the car warm up a bit on cold mornings...

rich
lapuwali
Removing it can actually make the car MORE reliable, as leaky cold start injectors are a common source of problems.
Air_Cooled_Nut
I wouldn't necessarily recommend removing the AAR. I know my 2.0L needs it until the engine is very well warmed up otherwise she'll die at stops. My stock D-jet T3 required it as well. Both engines in good tune.

Cold-start injector...not really necessary unless you drive in coooold climates. I noticed a difference with my T3 and using the cold start but the difference was mostly just a matter of less cranking until firing smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 12 2006, 03:54 PM) *

Removing it can actually make the car MORE reliable, as leaky cold start injectors are a common source of problems.

I don't remember ever actually encountering a leaky C/S valve, and I've worked professionally on all kinds of D-jet cars since 1973. I've heard lots of discussion on their failures, but none that I could personally verify. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one fail on either an L-jet or CIS car, either. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.