Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A greasy Grasshopper and Dr Evil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
Just wanted to tell you all how great Barry (Grasshopper), his Dad, and Dr Evil, along with the others who helped yesterday. We managed to drop my 1.7 and transmission. We had about 10 of us show up to watch, chat etceteras. Grasshoppper disappeared under the car and an hour or so later emerged with dirt from elbow to fingertips but said, "It's ready to drop". The young man is amazing. A big thanks to you for your help and enthusiasm!

Thanks to my wife KAtherine who cooked and prepared a nice dinner, we then ate and went back the the engine work.

Thanks to Dr Evil I now have a transmission that should last a long time. All that's left is for me to finish cleaning off the grease and grime from near the oil cooler and put the new seals in. Oh yeah, then put the engine back into the car.

Again many thanks to you all for stopping by and helping out. clap56.gif beer.gif

[ sorry, I HAVE no pictures, but a few others do, please post them here]
scottb
hey matt,

thanks for inviting us up. was good to meet some more folks from the club and watch barry make a mess out of himself. i wasn't a complete slacker in that i did have the cv tool! sorry i had to leave so early.... i messed up and promised the wife i'd be home! my daughter had a blast.

i am going to be next on the drop list as my car was out for the last time. the trany is barfing out WAY too much fluid and was behaving poorly on the way home. weird spinning sound about 50% of the time when starting from a dead stop and acting like the clutch is sticking while driving. if i was cruising about 3k rpm, hit the gas, it would rev up to 5k like the clutch was in then drop back down and i could feel the trany engage. weird.

time for the new evil trany to go in .......
GS Guy
Hey Matt,

Wanted to say thanks for the invite, meeting some of the teener "personalities" and seeing all the nice 914s! Also a great pleasure to meet Dr. E - tranny guru extrodinaire! Now I'm kicking myself for not just going ahead and getting a set of those CV bolts! Be sure to put me down for a set on the next batch you whip up Mike!

Cheers,
Jeff
Nick
Matt,

Thanks for a fun afternoon. It was great hang out with people from the list and seeing bunch of cool cars. Subie conversion real sixer long hood 911 to name a few. Let me know if your going to need help popping the engine back in.

Nick
Rick L
Had a great time! The anatomy lesson was superb, thanx Dr. E and Barry. The cars and personalities were equally diverse and amazing. I have a ton of pics that I'm risizing and doctoring.....I mean "cleaning up". Thanx Katherine for the food and tolerance. We know how un-nerving it can be to have a dozen strangers invade your home. (And they don't come much stranger than us!)
Look for pics.....coming soon!

Rick
zymurgist
Matt,

Thanks to you and Katherine for feeding us! We did have a diverse group of cars that showed up, didn't we?
Dr Evil
I had such a great time, and most importatnly so did Noel! Katherine, Anka, and the boys were really cool and quickly adopted Noel and kept her busy. Barry, Sr. and Jr. are two very nice folks to hang out with. Barry jr. is one heck of a young man and jumped in with all he had. I brought some tranny visual aids which included; a rebuilt stack, used sliders, teeth, bands, and good for contrast, and all of the tools for doing the job. there was no shortage of questions which I was glad to answer.

I also got an Engman fuse panel and pedals for my birthday from Noel so I brought those to show off as I find Mark's (engman's) work to be outstanding and very well priced. Nothing like promoting other vendors biggrin.gif

I am gonna post a different post about what I found in Matt's tranny.

And Matt, you are a class act and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to help you work on your car.

All of the people that I met were great as well. Thanks for making it all worth while.
grasshopper
Nice to meet all of you guys. Thanks for enviting us over matt, and thanks for the great food. I wasn't really dressed to work, but my mom was expecting me to ruine my cloths anyway chairfall.gif Here are some pics of the group. We had a great turnout. A total of 8 different members showed up..I think. smile.gif
grasshopper
more
grasshopper
more
grasshopper
some pics I took on the way home while passing through Harpers Ferry
plas76targa
Grasshopper - thanks for the great photo's. I just got a chance to see these - it's been a long day (non 914 content). I got a kick out of the first photo - in the left you can see Rick's (I think) hand (rubber gloved biggrin.gif ) holding the cam corder.

For the rest of you - Mike took out the front seat to fiddle with my broken parking break and my twin boys took one look at the empty seat, grabbed their skate board and were about to set off down the driveway. Seat Adjustment handle dragging the whole way!
jim_hoyland
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Doc Evil worked on my tranny too, he really makes it interesting.
smdubovsky
Nice pics. It was nice to meet everyone and see what teeners are supposed to look like when finished. Matt, you and your wife seemed incredibly tolerant of us;) The most kudos should go to her.

BTW, your paint code 21 is tangerine. (I know some of us were arguing over it)

Now if I could only remember peoples names...
SMD

VaccaRabite
Wish I could have been there!

I need to meet local teeners.

Zach
Dr Evil
And here are some of the pics Noel took.

Grasshopper and ? ( I suck with names)
Dr Evil
the two Barrys get working.
Dr Evil
Sr. gets the engine out.
Dr Evil
Its out and now Matt is like, "WTF did I do!?"
Dr Evil
Some visitors.
Dr Evil
Your's truely captivating the masses with my tranny talk.
Leo Imperial
Hey Doc, I guess you get an unlimited supply of medical gloves in med school. smile.gif

Looks like a great turnout. Wish I could have made it.

Matt is a class act, but I don't see any pictures of the 2.7 being pulled mad.gif
Dr Evil
Na, I gotta buy my own gloves. These were donors from the group.

No 2.7.....one thing at a time.
Leo Imperial
wink.gif
Rick L
More Pics, we'll start with Matt's car...."assuming the position"
Rick L
The Doctor is in...

Rick L
Looks like a union job... one guy working, three guys supervising biggrin.gif

Rick L
Grasshopper...elbow deep
Rick L
Barry and Grasshopper rollin' out. What you can't see....Grasshopper had to sit on a towel to keep the seats clean. chairfall.gif
Rick L
More new friends beerchug.gif
Rick L
Not a 914, but certainly welcome!

Rick L
And here's what it's all about.
Rick L
Matt, I also have a couple pics of the boys with the driver's seat. If you would like them, pm me your email and I'll send 'em.
Thanx again to everyone for a great time!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(scottb @ Jun 12 2006, 03:56 AM) *

hey matt,

thanks for inviting us up. was good to meet some more folks from the club and watch barry make a mess out of himself. i wasn't a complete slacker in that i did have the cv tool! sorry i had to leave so early.... i messed up and promised the wife i'd be home! my daughter had a blast.

i am going to be next on the drop list as my car was out for the last time. the trany is barfing out WAY too much fluid and was behaving poorly on the way home. weird spinning sound about 50% of the time when starting from a dead stop and acting like the clutch is sticking while driving. if i was cruising about 3k rpm, hit the gas, it would rev up to 5k like the clutch was in then drop back down and i could feel the trany engage. weird.

time for the new evil trany to go in .......

Check your motor mounts. No kidding. Do it. Do it now...

Rob
scottb

[/quote]

Check your motor mounts. No kidding. Do it. Do it now...

Rob
[/quote]

new ones were ordered just yesterday!!! thanks for the heads up....

scott
plas76targa
Rob, Got those motor mounts already. They'll be going in BEFORE the engine returns to it's rightful spot.

speaking of spots, you should see the present Scottb left infront of my mailbox. Reference the photo's Grasshopper left on page 1.

Rick, great photo's. Thanks!
evan
Matt,

Thanks for the post about Dr Evil and your tranny. It was really cool to come up and meet everyone. Though I could not stay for long it just great to know that there is so many teeners in the area. Even my 3 yr daughter had fun seeing all the different cars. Putting a post on the site, still have starting problems and want to try one last anything before I tow it to a garage.

See ya all on the highways

evan
scottb
speaking of spots, you should see the present Scottb left infront of my mailbox. Reference the photo's Grasshopper left on page 1.

hey! i told you i had a bit of a leak. just kind of "grew" on this trip. i am officially off the road until i get that and a few other items done. i may just go ahead and put the new trany in while waiting for the motor. don't want to miss prime driving season!!!

and besides, after watching the drop at your house matt, i am feeling up to attempting it myself this weekend. wish me luck!

scott
zymurgist
Scott,

If you need a dolly, I have the one that belongs to Babydoll's owner. It's not like Matt's... only for the engine so you have to hold up the tranny manually, but if you need it let me know.
Toast
Great work guys!

What a beautiful neighborhood!

Thanks for the pictures. Sure is great to see some unknown faces that share a same interest.

Grasshopper you are getting tall!

grasshopper
lol! yeah, I grew like a foot this year. Not joking. Are you going to be at WCC this year again??
GrnEyedLdy
This is realllly late, but I wanted to make sure I sent out my words of thanks to Matt and his wonderful family. Like Mike said, I was totally taken care of by Kathrine and Anca. They took me back in time for a history lesson as we walked around Harper's Ferry. We were there for about 10 hours or so and Matt and his family hung in there until the very end! What troopers!

You 914 guys (and families!) never cease to amaze me! So welcoming and such great hospitality - I leave feeling part of a great community.

Thanks again for the great time! biggrin.gif
Evill Ed
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 13 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Some visitors.

Hey I know that Bad A$$ Signal Orange 914 biggrin.gif

What's up Nick?

Looks like you all had a good time, Wish I was there.

Regards,
Ed
JPB
Grasshopper? Him no grashopper, him master of wrench hand kungfuy.

beer.gif Cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.