Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buying car just for engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
I have noticed that there are usually a few 74-76 cars around that have 2 liter engines but are in pretty sad shape otherwise. Because of this they sell CHEAP. I am starting think about maybe picking one of these up just to steal the 2.0 and then sell off what is left. Who has done this and how did it work out?

The obvious risks I can see are:

1. If the rest of the car is in bad shape, the engine is probably in disrepair also.

2. A lot of times they are not running or not drivable and thus there is no way to test the engine health before buying.

3. In my understanding 73 2.0s are the best, 74s are almost as good with not as much vacuum advance (easily fixed), but 75-76 have smog ports to plug etc and will probably be in bad shape from being run hot all their lives.

3. Getting rid of a POS car with no engine probably sucks and takes forever. Even if I put my 1.7 into it to sell it I bet it will still be a PITA.

All I want is the 2.0, tin, fuel injection, and harness. Anything else useful is gravy.
Charles Deutsch
Here's my '73 2.0 that's in good rebuildable condition (it would run now with a new MPS, vacuum hoses etc.) but I'm keeping it while I build a big-four from a 1.8 that I'm buying.
J P Stein
My 1st 914 "looked" gud....till ya got to the hell hole.
Shifted terrible, leaked oil all over hell, brakes were iffy, but once I set the points, it ran great...mo power than my 2nd one. Sold it cheep...bout 2500 as I recall, after I took off the polished Fuch wink.gif
redshift
jk, you should just sell me your car, and buy a done one.

M
mightyohm
Sorry savior, not this time.
redshift
In my father's yard, there are many spaces. If it were not so, I would not have told you.

Your car likes me, I can tell.

M
TonyAKAVW
Yeah, that car of yours is a realbasket case, its about to fall apart, better get rid of it. I'll take it off your hands, for a small fee of course.

-Tony
JeffBowlsby
Jeff, why not get a tired Two-0h, with a car or not, and go through it? That way you'll be certain of its condition and you'll have a running car until the swap. Nice winter project.

The 73-74 GA case engines are identical in nearly every way. the ONLY differences I know of are:

1. The 74 TB has only one vacuum port (not a big deal)

2. The 73 and 74 FI ECU and MPS are unique to their respective years and must be correctly matched. (The 73 needing the TS2 ballast resistor and its unique TS2).
mightyohm
Well, given that I don't really have garage access at my new place (the people I am living with prefer to use it to park cars, what the heck?? wink.gif )
I don't know if rebuilding an engine (especially in the rainy season) would be a good idea. I do have a covered patio outback that I use to work in though......

Ok. The real reason is that I'm just being lazy and trying to avoid having to rebuild an engine. I want to throw in a nice 2.0, enjoy the extra power, and forget about my 1.7's overheating problems forever.

If I build my own engine I am going to be very tempted to go non-stock, and then I will end up spending the next 6 months trying to figure out what to build, what parts to use, whether to use D-jet or Megasquirt, etc etc.
redshift
If I were going to build another /4, I would go with a 2270, with CIS.

I may change my 2.0 over to CIS when it goes in the Speedster.

M
seanery
really, CIS? I hate CIS in the -6's
redshift
Yeah, CIS.

It's more about availability... than performance, although it comes along with some decent dependability too.

smile.gif

On the /6, I'll take MFI, thanks!

M
garyh
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 30 2003, 12:28 PM)
The 73-74 GA case engines are identical in nearly every way.  the ONLY differences I know of are:

1.  The 74 TB has only one vacuum port (not a big deal)

2.  The 73 and 74 FI ECU and MPS are unique to their respective years and must be correctly matched.  (The 73 needing the TS2 ballast resistor and its unique TS2).

Some (early only?) 74's had the two-port throttle body.

The 73 MPS is NLA. - Weird MPS (& TS2) so the 1.7 ECU could be used.

IMHO, the 74 is the better setup.
EdwardBlume
So you've got no room to build an engine but you want to buy a car for the engine and part it out? Um....... where would the car go?

I may have a spare 2.0 laying around for the right price this winter. I may be able to get another 2.0 as well. PM me.

Best

Then again, maybe there's someone close to this site who could build you one.
JeffBowlsby
Some (early only?) 74's had the two-port throttle body

Hi Gary! Nice to hear from you...you are so right.

I have a 1974 Vin 1465. Chassis dated August 73 and has many 73 details, I have every reason to believe it is original.

My original TB has twin vacuum ports...but one of them was soldered closed if you can believe it. In my stash of 914 2.0 TBS I have ones with two functioning ports, one functioning-one closed, and a single port. Go figure.
mightyohm
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Sep 30 2003, 04:10 PM)
So you've got no room to build an engine but you want to buy a car for the engine and part it out? Um....... where would the car go?

In the backyard of course! smile.gif
rhodyguy
i was anticipating an engine build and found a total, the car was bent in half. the engine fired right up and sounded good. carbed, but there was a three ring binder of reciepts/ service (thru 3 owners). so i got a good runner with koni reds, progressives, 4 excellent fuchs, ss h.e.'s, sold a ton of parts, and the trans/ clutch went in with the engine. best 914 deal i've ever done. oh, got the car for a song too. it was sitting in the guys folks driveway. mom and dad drove up while we were haggling. "that car better be out of the driveway today!". it had been sitting there for 6 months, tarped. thanks mom laugh.gif

kevin
GWN7
Why not buy one just for the engine. I bought one just for the wheels once. The fact that it turned out to be a rust free Cali car with "extras" turned out to be a bonus. laugh.gif

If you have room and find a good donor go for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.