Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch adjustment question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
my clutch engages all the way at the floor board. no slippage or grinding just a long push down. can this be adjusted with the cable so that it grabs more at the top or do i have to go in?
So.Cal.914
Unless there is a problem with your clutch you should be able to adjust it at the cable.
nycchef
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:13 AM) *

Unless there is a problem with your clutch you should be able to adjust it at the cable.

no problem that i am aware of shifts well in all gears. is there a thread on how to adjust?
lapuwali
The clutch cable is adjusted at the clutch. You can reach it under the car w/o even jacking up the car. Passenger side. The cable comes out of the firewall and goes aft around a pulley mounted just forward of the half-shaft. The cable then goes forward to an arm sticking out of the bellhousing. The adjuster is right there. Usually takes a 13mm wrench. Often, you'll need to grip the crimped part of the cable just aft of the arm to keep it from rotating while you rotate the adjuster nut. There adjuster nut is often double-nutted to keep it from backing off.

You want to leave a small amount of play at the arm so the clutch fully engages. There should also be some noticable play at the pedal for the same reason.

If you bottom out the adjuster before most of the play is gone, your clutch cable has stretched too much over time, and you'll need to replace it.
Dave_Darling
It's an 11mm wrench for the nut. (M7 nut; one of rather few on the car!) I prefer the "double-nut" approach, because the Nyloc nut I used once backed itself off after a few weeks of driving.

I usually clamp a pair of vise-grips onto the flats on the "ferule" on the end of the cable to keep it trom spinning when I turn the adjusting nut. Usually just the weight of the vise-grips is enough to keep the cable from spinning as I turn the nut.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.