Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joints spewing grease.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
736conver
These are rebuilt axles and CV's. When they did it they put different caps on the CV's and there is a hole there. On the opposite side is the roll pin. I dont know where the grease is entering but it is exiting out the hole and all over the underside of the car.

Do you think I can just get some silicone and plug up the hole or would the centrifugal force just throw it right out.

Its doing this on all four CV's.
Click to view attachment
736conver
CVClick to view attachment
736conver
Also I am using the CV gaskets you can see it in the last picture.
Aaron Cox
wierd!

yeah... try a dab of rtv or somehting over the hole...
Dr Evil
Maybe you can split the cover from the CV and put a piece of paper gasket in there?
So.Cal.914
If you do use ATV make sure you clean that hole real well. It should stay if it

is clean.
mightyohm
Probably what happened is that someone packed the holes with grease when they were packing the joints (I am guilty of doing the same thing). In my experience they will spew grease for a few hundred miles and then stop. The solution is to clean out the holes behind the roll pins. Make sure that the covers are on tight too.
Leo Imperial
It all leads to the covers not being tight. I can't see how else the grease would get through. Are/were the bolts tight enough? The roll pin should stop it from the other end or gasket side if they are tight as they should be.
mightyohm
The grease isn't getting thru, it's coming out.

Grease fills up the holes behind the roll pins when the joints are packed (it's hard to avoid). The new covers have holes where the roll pins go (not sure why). The grease flies out when the joints spin, but it's only the extra grease behind the roll pins that comes out, not the grease in the joint itself. The roll pins and cover should pretty much seal the rest of the joint as long as the cover is on straight.
736conver
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 12 2006, 04:37 PM) *

The grease isn't getting thru, it's coming out.

Grease fills up the holes behind the roll pins when the joints are packed (it's hard to avoid). The new covers have holes where the roll pins go (not sure why). The grease flies out when the joints spin, but it's only the extra grease behind the roll pins that comes out, not the grease in the joint itself. The roll pins and cover should pretty much seal the rest of the joint as long as the cover is on straight.

You know that what I first thought. But it keeps coming out. Not small amounts either. I will check the caps and see if they are on straight and tight, that might be the problem.
MarkV
I have the same problem. Those aftermarket CV boots are made for something other than a 914. Don't bother trying RTV it won't work. I found some plastic plugs that I glued in the holes, that didn't work either. mad.gif
J P Stein
The same thing happened to me. It quit coming out eventually.
I *think* it's from over packing with grease. confused24.gif
Mark Henry
you may have something there....80 grams of grease...I think that's about 2 oz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.