Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels and spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I have 4-lug Fuchs now. Eventually I want wider wheels, probably 5-lug Fuchs. (I'm thinking 15 or 16" with 50 series tires). I want to go as wide as I can under stock fenders with a rolled lip and a little stretching. What size wheel would be best? How wide can I go?

Looks like I will be painting before the wheel upgrade. So I'm thinking about doing the fender stretching soon, but will have to run my current wheels for a while. It would sure look better to push the wheels out and fill the fenders, but I'm not sure how much spacing is too much. So, opinions on spacers? Cons? Would this take too much?
Aaron Cox
15x7 or 16x7 fuchs.
205 tire max with subtle flare on a 7......

or you can stretch em like mine and tuck an 8" fuch and a 225/50...
Rand
Thanks Aaron.

I drive this car daily and do little upgrades at a time. So I'm trying to sort out if it's feasible to break this up into phases...

Phase 1, Stretch the fenders and use spacers to push the 4-lug Fuchs out to fill the fender for now.

Phase 2, Buy the new wheels/tires and redrill the stock hubs to 5-bolt pattern to get them going.

Phase 3, upgrade the suspension to good 5-lug setup... 911 front end, roller-bearing rear, etc.

Are wide spacers and redrilling a bad idea? Enough that I should skip the phased approach and delay until I can do it all at once?
Rand
Allright, Ima DA. Let's keep it simple.

How much spacer is too much?

Mueller
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 12 2006, 02:43 PM) *

Thanks Aaron.

I drive this car daily and do little upgrades at a time. So I'm trying to sort out if it's feasible to break this up into phases...

Phase 1, Stretch the fenders and use spacers to push the 4-lug Fuchs out to fill the fender for now. Not sure why you'd want to stretch out the fenders for stock 4-lug Fuchs, you can get 205's on them without any issues in the rear, for the front you can easily run 3/4" spacers to move the wheels out to fill up the wheel well as is.

Phase 2, Buy the new wheels/tires and redrill the stock hubs to 5-bolt pattern to get them going. This is do-able and is what I've done in the past, just remember that the re-drilled front hub/rotor is a consumable, so make sure they have some life left in them or otherwise you'll be doing it again soon if the rotor is too thin.

Phase 3, upgrade the suspension to good 5-lug setup... 911 front end, roller-bearing rear, etc. This might be the most economical method in the long rin, sure it's expensive, but you won't have wasted any money on 4-lug spacers and longer studs for Ph.1 or on the expense of machining and longer studs for Ph.2

Are wide spacers and redrilling a bad idea? Enough that I should skip the phased approach and delay until I can do it all at once?

Rand
Thanks Mike. beerchug.gif

Not sure why you'd want to stretch out the fenders for stock 4-lug Fuchs

The stretching is for the future wider wheels. But I'm getting paint before new wheels and I was thinking of stretching before paint.
jd74914
I personally wouldn't waste the money on 4lug spacers; I'd just save it for the conversion stuff. Then I'd get the rears drilled or do those however you want to so you can put the 5lug stuff on.

The only downside to my method is that the car could be kinda funny lookng for a while biggrin.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 14 2006, 09:03 AM) *

The stretching is for the future wider wheels. But I'm getting paint before new wheels and I was thinking of stretching before paint.

I have some drilled hubs sitting on my parts car in my yard... It has fake fuchs on it now, but I think they are 9s, the Fronts are 7s. I also have a pair of older 911 struts with brakes, the driver side has some PO weld repair on the tube...
So make me a fair offer... come over Saturday for a burger and do some shopping!!

hijacked.gif

back to your thread, I would get all the best parts first, THEN tear into it come December...
Aaron Cox
please get the wheel you intend to run BEFORE paint...

i bought 8" fuchs... and said... i will make the fenders fit these.....

if you say "i am gonna run a 7" fuch.... but have no idea on offset balh blah... will it fit?" your hosed. chances run in your favor that you may not have stretched em enough....

AA <--- advocate of having all the parts for mock up...

and yep. go straight to phase 3..... skip 1 and 2
Rand
Thanks guys. Confirms what I was suspecting. Guess the paint will have to wait if I'm going to do this.

Dino! Appreciate that! Maybe I can accelerate this process. idea.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jun 14 2006, 10:41 AM) *

I have some drilled hubs sitting on my parts car in my yard... It has fake fuchs on it now, but I think they are 9s, the Fronts are 7s. I also have a pair of older 911 struts with brakes, the driver side has some PO weld repair on the tube...
So make me a fair offer... come over Saturday for a burger and do some shopping!!

hijacked.gif

back to your thread, I would get all the best parts first, THEN tear into it come December...

dino... they are 8's.... 15x9 and 16x9 replicas are almost unheard of....
dinomium
They are 15s and I will double check the width... thanks for the info.
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 14 2006, 11:22 AM) *

hijacked.gif

dinomium
I also have spacers... oh yeah!
dinomium
QUOTE(dinomium @ Jun 14 2006, 11:27 AM) *

They are 15s and I will double check the width... thanks for the info.
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 14 2006, 11:22 AM) *

hijacked.gif

Aaron is the KING of faking it FUCH wize... mine are 15x8s biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.