Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Hard drive suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hey all,

I know this is not 914 related, but I figured my fellow CSOB 914 owners might be of some help. I'm looking for a 500GB or better hard drive, preferably fireware external for archive use. We have a ton of MiniDV tapes of the baby and family gatherings and stuff and I'd like to archive them to hard disk if I can.

So far, the best I've found is just under $400. Anyone know any cheaper sources for a 0.5TB (or better) external firewire hard drive?

Thanks!

-Josh2
Dr. Roger
Maxtor OneTouch III, USB 2.0/FireWire 400 (500GB)
best price: Page Computer $265.03
details here... http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Maxtor_OneTou...tml?tag=upidmlp
Gint
I wouldn't put a maxtor in my box if you gave me two brand new ones (one for a repalcement for the first one when it dumps).

Seagate all the way. Even if it costs you a little bit extra. The most quiet, reliable drives on the market. IMHO of course. But don't take my word for it alone. Do your homework.
Gary
Fry's has a bunch. I have a Maxtor external - USB interface draws too much power to work on one of my computers. Known problem.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 12 2006, 07:49 PM) *

Seagate all the way.

agree.gif btw. anybody got a Barracuda ST3160021A they want to part with? 160GB, 7200 rpm, Ultra ATA ...

i NEED one ...
type.gif Andy
tomamafone
Just recently got a LaCie 0.5 TB external and i'm very pleased. Rugged, affordable, EXTREMELY easy to install and transfer rates (through usb 2.0) quick enough to keep up with capturing full size DV video at real time with no dropped frames. (geez... they should hire me...) This site (LaCie's site) lists it for $299 though if you do some shopping around you can probably find it for less (fry's/best buy etc.). They also have ones at 600MB and 1TB

And just for fun here's one that porsche designed! of course... not a whole lot you can do with a rectangle...

Happy Shopping!
Scott Carlberg
from SlickDeals.net (which is a GREAT site to visit EVERYday, btw):

Maxtor 300GB for $60 at Office Depot

EDIT: Oops, sorry, that Maxtor is NOT a 500GB, and that's what You asked for. sorry.

Hey Andy,
I've got a 160GB Seagate HD that I've never used. How do I determine whether it's a Barracuda or not?
Scott Carlberg
quote] btw. anybody got a Barracuda ST3160021A they want to part with? 160GB, 7200 rpm, Ultra ATA ...
i NEED one ...
type.gif Andy
[/quote]

..FORGET my above question on HOW to determine which model a hd is! lol

the 160gb Seagate I have IS a Barracuda 7200.7,
but it's a: ST3160023A
Gary
Josh,

Here's one at buy.com for $199 after rebate.

jhadler
Awsome! Thanks for the info! I gotta steer clear of the USB only drives, as I only have USB 1.1 on my computers. All have firewire though...

Thanks for info! Already placed the order! I might go after those Office Depot drives too, the price is pretty darn sweet.

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.