Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I set the Valve clearance different for
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
I just changed the Adjuster screw two weeks ago, and I feel it's a little more click-ity clack now. Not sure if I should have used a different value than .006 & .008 since I have SI SS valves?
Also I'd like to try setting them hot, to avoid any miss-measurements this time. Does anyone have a method for doing this in a 914.
Thanks guys
Samson
fitsbain
I believe that the proper measurments are done cold, and are .06 and .08 for intake and exhaust respectivly(1.8 -2.0) and that a 1.7 is .06 and .06.

But someone feel free to correct me as I'm the new guy.
Dave_Darling
The 2.0 is the only one with the 0.008" measurement. All valves on the 1.7s and 1.8s should be 0.006".

I don't know if the SS valves change the equation or not, though.

--DD
URY914
Set them when cold and there is no difference because they are Stainless Steel.
newto914s
Oops, You right, brain fart. .006 & .008 is what I did the first time
I will do it cold again, if someone thinks I should try a different measurement, but I would like to try it hot to 0 lash if setting it to spec is the consensus around here
Cap'n Krusty
Actually, the hot clearances aren't much different than the cold ones. Zero lash is gonna make you a lot of trouble you don't need. The Cap'n
newto914s
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2006, 04:11 PM) *

Actually, the hot clearances aren't much different than the cold ones. Zero lash is gonna make you a lot of trouble you don't need. The Cap'n

The last thing I want to do is burn a valve(been there, done that). I'm sure I read here that's what some guys do. Run the engine to operating temps, then set the lash to 0. But I'm an idiot, what is the lash when hot supposed to be then?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(newto914s @ Jun 12 2006, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2006, 04:11 PM) *

The last thing I want to do is burn a valve(been there, done that). I'm sure I read here that's what some guys do. Run the engine to operating temps, then set the lash to 0. But I'm an idiot, what is the lash when hot supposed to be then?

.006", cold. Whatever it is hot, that's what it is. Under certain conditions, you may choose to set them at 0.000, hot, to enhance overlap and therefore power. A certain showroom stock competitor used to do that, but he did it at the track, and opened them back to stock specs BEFORE he drove the car home. He didn't expect the engine to last longer than one season. It's risky, and you might not want to put your wallet in harm's way. Valves are set cold so there's a universal standard that will allow you to go through the procedure without having the temperature change and make a difference in the settings, so that there's a safety factor, and so that the next guy who works on it will be able to use the valve settings as part of the diagnostic procedure. The Cap'n
john rogers
Is this a stock cam or one with stock lift and or overlap? How about the push rods, are they the stock ones? If the answer to all these is yes, then use stock lash or if you don't know, use stock lash. If it is a radical racing cam with tapered wall cro-mo push rod tubes then maybe the valve last is set hot, but the cam maufacturer will tell you that. My 2.8L four was this way, what a pain in the butt to do a valve adjust!!!!
Mark Henry
0 lash can be done only with Cr-Mo pushrods and only if you know what the fuch you are doing.

Set them at .006 cold and your safe. I know the book says .006 and .008 but I've never had an issue at .006 for both. I often set them at .004 and .006

But clickity- clack is better than boom!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 12 2006, 07:16 PM) *
I know the book says .006 and .008 ...

If the book says that for a 1.8, then the book is wrong. Check the factory documentation, and you'll see that the 1.8 is spec'ed for 0.006" for both intake and exhaust.

--DD
Mark Henry
Yep I ment that on the 2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.