Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 column install in a 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plymouth37
I was just wondering if anyone has installed a 914/6 steering column into a 914/4. my car is a far from stock '73 four banger car but I came across some 914/6 goodies and thought it would be fun to try to trick (or at least piss off) a purist into thinking I put a subie into a "holier than thou 914/6". sawzall-smiley.gif happy11.gif Everything I have seems easy to convert over, but the steering column looks like things could get a little crazy. thanks! P.S. was that crazy sharp edged license plate hole havin' rear bumper a 1970 exclusive or were they used in '71 too?
McMark
Grab a 911 steering column. It will look the same as the 914/6 and bolt right up to your late model column brackets. If you really want to use the 914/6 stuff, you need to either make an adapter plate (barf.gif) or weld in an early engine mount.

IMHO, if I wanted to make a 914/6 look-a-like, I'd use an early car. The early cars are built on the same chassis as the 914/6, so more of the little details are correct. But you could do it with a 73.
plymouth37
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2006, 08:32 PM) *

Grab a 911 steering column. It will look the same as the 914/6 and bolt right up to your late model column brackets. If you really want to use the 914/6 stuff, you need to either make an adapter plate (barf.gif) or weld in an early engine mount.

good advice! authenticity is not really a factor so a 911 column should work just fine. is wiring as scary as I imagine? any preferable years as far as the right look and ease of installation go? thanks!
McMark
Someone just had a thread about it in the last 3 months. Check the archives. wink.gif
So.Cal.914
I don't remember who but someone here makes a adapter ready to go. Use a 70's

911 colume, the look will be correct. When I see a "914-6" or "GT" the first thing

I look at is the VIN # plate on windscreen post to see if it is faux.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2006, 11:32 PM) *

IMHO, if I wanted to make a 914/6 look-a-like, I'd use an early car. The early cars are built on the same chassis as the 914/6, so more of the little details are correct. But you could do it with a 73.

BZZZTTT!!! Sorry..worng answer. BTDT!!

The 911 column uses a completley different mount than a 914. A 911 column will not bolt into ANY year 914.

You have to cut the mount off a 914 column, and cut the mounts off the 911 tube and combine the two to make it work.

911 Steering column (pet diagram.. I don't have a real picture)
Click to view attachment

Factory 914/6 column

IPB Image

See this link on how I did it...
Column conversion.
davep
The 1972 914/6 had the 914/4 steering column, so either way would be acceptable. I do know someone with an original 914/6 that may need an original setup however.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 13 2006, 06:44 AM) *

The 1972 914/6 had the 914/4 steering column, so either way would be acceptable. I do know someone with an original 914/6 that may need an original setup however.

The 72 914/6 was a complete 4 cylinder chassis with six suspension and motor mount. It even had a 4 cylinder wiring harness with an adapter harness to connect it to the six relay board. It is considered a real six because it has a 914 vin number, but most of it is 72 914/4 parts.

horizontally-opposed
So all yous gotta say is it's a nineteen seventy TWO six replica.

(which makes more sense if you are going to keep the moveable passenger seat, and I can't see going backwards on that!)

pete
davep
Quite right, the '72 /4 was an improvement on previous years in several areas.
dflesburg
I have done this, incredible amount of work and parts required.

have a wiring diagram but cant insert it here for some reason.
Eddie Williams
I've made 3-4 runs at buying a 911 column for this conversion with no luck yet. So I think I'm going to give up and do the 72 thing! I just liked the geek factor of having the ignition on the dash.
markb
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 13 2006, 10:17 AM) *

(which makes more sense if you are going to keep the moveable passenger seat, and I can't see going backwards on that!)

pete

The dash vents are kinda nice, too. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Jun 13 2006, 12:44 PM) *

I've made 3-4 runs at buying a 911 column for this conversion with no luck yet. So I think I'm going to give up and do the 72 thing! I just liked the geek factor of having the ignition on the dash.

Come on, you just like that $456 steering lock assemble compared to the $150 /4 part..... The Cap'n
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 13 2006, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Eddie Williams @ Jun 13 2006, 12:44 PM) *

Come on, you just like that $456 steering lock assemble compared to the $150 /4 part..... The Cap'n

LOL, maybe, but if I could have snagged a 70s 911 column for 150? Was is los?
plymouth37
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 13 2006, 03:44 AM) *

The 1972 914/6 had the 914/4 steering column

this sounds too easy, I'm looking more for that kind of project that takes way too long and WAY too much money. besides, I have way to much cool stuff to not use it. looks like I'll be going for a '70 look-alike (except those stupid ass seat belts and that foot rest on a leash havin' fixed seat crap) the car has a wrx engine for gods sake, authenticity is not really a priority. I'm just bored and want more stuff to play with! thank you all for the info. Dana.
Dr. Roger
just incase anyone cares...

NOS 914/6 steering column with hand throttle lever....
2 hours left.
starting bid $289.
914Sixer
Simple version of what is needed.

Picture three is column from is 69-73 911 and the one on the right is 74-89 911 with the mounting points removed. You will need the column covers from each of the model years and the different switches.

Picture two is a late column with the mounting pad cut off a -4 column and welded on. You can put it on on any 914 71-76 and use the late switches and all the different 911 factory steering wheels.

Picture one is a clone dash made from a cut off -6 dash and welded to a late model so the dash vents could be retained

If you need more information you can contact me.
dflesburg
ignition conversion pic

plymouth37
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 15 2006, 07:30 AM) *

ignition conversion pic

that is awesome! I need one of those boards, I don't know why but it looks like fun!
Thanks for the info...
mikelsr
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jun 15 2006, 03:19 PM) *

that is awesome! I need one of those boards, I don't know why but it looks like fun!

Just get a white wall, frame part of it and write on it. Hard to erase though! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.