Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SSI Heat Exchanger question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw
I am moving along in my quest to build a budget 1911cc upgrade from my existing 1.7 (I'll start a progress thread for it once I get further along).

With the Pistons/Cylinders/Heads all but worked out, I have a question about HEs and Bursch Exhausts.

I have a nice 1.7 SSI HE/Bursch setup. My question is, can I run these on a 1911cc setup (with 2.0 heads) or not?

whats the difference between 1.7/1.8/2.0? I am hearing its just the bends at the end....

Thanks in advance!

Drew
rhodyguy
the 1.7/1.8 will work just fine. put them on.

k
jd74914
I think the differences are only @ the ends, so you can run your setup as is; you just couldn't put a 2L muffler on it.
rhodyguy
no. that's why there are mufflers for 1.7/1.8 hes and mufflers for 2.0 hes.

k
fitsbain
See

Told ya

biggrin.gif

But of course that means you don't want my 1.8 SSI's dry.gif

LOL

Anyway
rhodyguy
ftr. the muffler hangers are distinctly different. the "down leg" portion of the hangers are longer on the 2.0s. effectively, making distance inbetween the 2 flange inner bolt holes on the hes (when installed) further apart on the 2.0s as compared to the 1.7/1.8s.

k
drewvw

ok so...the verdict sounds like as long as I run a 1.7 bursch with my 1.7 SSI HEs it will work, since they bolt onto the heads the same way?

looks like you were right fitsbain....
fitsbain
Just make sure you use the exhaust gaskets for the heads you are using. Not for the header version.

So 2.0 heads use 2.0 exhaust gaskets the ones from a 1.7 will not seal no matter wether you use the 2.0 or the 1.7 SSI's

And trust me I read all that somewhere on here so all credit goes to the origional poster and not myself. I'm just sort of barf.gif it back up.

I'm as clueless as any other east coaster that never saw a 914 until one landed in my driveway 3 months ago.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 13 2006, 11:59 AM) *

ok so...the verdict sounds like as long as I run a 1.7 bursch with my 1.7 SSI HEs it will work, since they bolt onto the heads the same way?

looks like you were right fitsbain....

yep, you got it!
rhcb914
Hey Drew,

As folks stated they will bolt right up. I actually am running the 2.0L exhaust on my 1911 w/1.7 heads.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but if you are looking for a core 1.7 to build up I have a 4 of them. PM me if your interested. I am actually looking at building a either 2056 or another 1911 very soon to replace my tired 1911.

-Rob
r_towle
Ding Ding///Mr Rob...I would like a core 1.7....

I wanna build the ultimate MPG 1.7...
If you have one that turns freely, let me know...
BTW, the seibring is back off the car again...apparently even to loud for the boy...he could not hear his stereo....lol
Rich
drewvw
thanks rob...I actually have a very solid 1.7 to work with so I think I am good, but I appreciate the offer!

rich...I have some ported and polished 1.7 heads I won't be using anymore after this summer.

and thanks to all for the help!
rwjames
I have a similar scenerio.

So if I have this correct, I can use 2.0 exchangers on a 1.8 if I use the 1.8 gaskets at the head and change the muffler and muffler bracket to a 2.0 setup?
r_towle
lets see if we can get this straight.

any heat exchanger will fit any head.

The 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers have a specific muffler and muffler gasket that only fit those heat exchangers, so you need to mate the 1.7/1.8 heat exchangers to the 1.7/1.8 muffler and muffler gasket, as well as the muffler hanger.

the 2.0 liter heat exchangers have a special muffler, muffler gasket and muffler bracket.

You need to buy the head/heat exchanger gaskets that go with the HEAD that you are bolting to.
So, if you are bolting to 1.7/1.8 heads, get the 1.7/1.8 copper gaskets.
If you are bolting to a 2.0 liter head, get the 2.0 liter copper gaskets.

Anytime you are switching parts, you will want to look at how the heat exchangers mate to the head.
There is a classic head flow exhaust restriction already living with these motors, you dont want to make it worse by having heat exchangers that do not sit correctly in relationship to the exhause port.
Take the time to look at how these fit and line up.
On a clean head, apply some molding clay and bolt the heat excchanger down tight...then take it off and see if it lines up by looking at the marks left in the clay.
the holes on the heat exchangers can be modified a bit to move the heat exchanger around to get a better fit.
I have a friend who put the wrong headers on a 911 and the results of the poor alignment was a burn exhaust port in the head...so take the time to verifiy that it all fits right...

You can also buy Chris's (tangerine racing) stub pipes...this gives you a birds eye view of the port to ensure a good fit.
fitsbain
Ding ding ding we have a winner

rwjames yup

I have the case from my 1.8 that should be avalible really soo if one of you wants it, and I may have a 1.7 though I don't know the condition as I don't have that yet.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(fitsbain @ Jun 13 2006, 09:05 AM) *

Just make sure you use the exhaust gaskets for the heads you are using. Not for the header version.

So 2.0 heads use 2.0 exhaust gaskets the ones from a 1.7 will not seal no matter wether you use the 2.0 or the 1.7 SSI's

And trust me I read all that somewhere on here so all credit goes to the origional poster and not myself. I'm just sort of barf.gif it back up.

I'm as clueless as any other east coaster that never saw a 914 until one landed in my driveway 3 months ago.

Well, ya read wrong. The 1.7 exhaust gaskets have a wider profile, and are apt to seal better than the 2 litre ones anytime. The 2 litre ones will seal fine on the 1.7 heads, assuming the seating surface of the HEs is in good shape. Another case of BAD information getting into the archives, NOW reinforced by your post. And it'll NEVER go away! The Cap'n
fitsbain
I guess I have been put in my place.

headbang.gif

time to go and hide again.
drewvw

wow this turned out to be quite the hot topic. Of course I'll have to photo document all of this when I get to it this winter biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.