Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At what point is a 914-6 toast?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gamblinfool
Hi all - first time poster.

I've long loved the 914, but would only ever do a 914-6 because I wouldn't really want to put up with the lack of seat reclinability unless it was a rare car.

But a couple months I stumbled upon guy who had one in his back yard. The guy's getting up there in age and is getting to the point where he's slowly coming to the realization that he'll never do anything with it.

He told me he'd be the first he'd call if he decided to sell it (like that means anything), but if and whenever it came time to examine it, what things should I look for that are not restorable? It's been under a tarp for several years but looked to be in decent shape considering. I assume some points on a true 6 would be allowable but not on a 4. Is that correct?

Additionally, it has GT flares on the rear wheel wells (which I didn't have time to get a close look to see if they were original GT issue (though I highly doubt it), but but since it's no longer original I guess it would free me up to drop a 993 motor in there!!) Opinions?

This is all hypothetical because my wife would probably string me up if I brought another car home! (2 Sciroccos, 1 M5, and her 4Runner) I think I have a car problem! smile.gif

Thx, Jeff beer3.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(gamblinfool @ Jun 13 2006, 08:30 AM) *

I think I have a car problem! smile.gif

Thx, Jeff beer3.gif

welcome.png happy11.gif assimilate.gif
SirAndy
welcome.png

i'm restoring the one in the picture below. and yes, what you see is all i got ...

so, i'd say as long as it's not completely rusted away and you have plenty of time and a little bit of $$$, go for it!

smash.gif Andy

olav

What's the VIN?

lapuwali
Lack of seat reclinability? You do know the '73 and later 914s have reclining seats for both driver and passenger, don't you?

The fixed seats were only on the '70-'72 models. Even then, an adjustable passenger seat is not a difficult swap. I have one in my '71 /4.
Dave_Darling
The 72s had moveable passenger's seats as well. Including the (very very few!) 72 914-6es. I believe the 72 Sixes also had the column-mounted ignition switch, though I could be wrong about that...

--DD
lapuwali
As Clay says in another thread, the '72 914-6 was really just a 914/4 in nearly all respects, including the steering column and the wiring harness.

olav
QUOTE(gamblinfool @ Jun 13 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Hi all - first time poster.

I've long loved the 914, but would only ever do a 914-6 because I wouldn't really want to put up with the lack of seat reclinability unless it was a rare car.

Thx, Jeff beer3.gif

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 13 2006, 10:51 AM) *

Lack of seat reclinability? You do know the '73 and later 914s have reclining seats for both driver and passenger, don't you?

The fixed seats were only on the '70-'72 models. Even then, an adjustable passenger seat is not a difficult swap. I have one in my '71 /4.

I think Jeff means that if he were to restore a car that had seats that didn't recline he would only want to restore a very rare car because then he could justify putting up with the lack of reclinability. Otherwise, he wouldn't put up with it because the trade off of being uncomfortable vs rareness isn't going to do it for him.
914Sixer
A SIX is a SIX is a SIX. Go for it! It is only piles of money any way.
Eric_Shea
The guy's getting up there in age and is getting to the point where he's slowly coming to the realization that he'll never do anything with it.

Andy's not that old! ohmy.gif

welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 13 2006, 01:53 PM) *

look at my profile ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=179

biggrin.gif Andy
gamblinfool
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 13 2006, 01:28 PM) *

I think Jeff means that if he were to restore a car that had seats that didn't recline he would only want to restore a very rare car because then he could justify putting up with the lack of reclinability. Otherwise, he wouldn't put up with it because the trade off of being uncomfortable vs rareness isn't going to do it for him.

thumb3d.gif You hit the nail right on the head. It's either going to be between a sixer or a Sunbeam Tiger. Something old, rare, euro, fast and convertible! cool_shades.gif

I'm just finishing up my Scirocco restoration and am already jones-ing for another project. Here's a pic:

IPB Image

But I'm very glad to hear about the later seats.

Thanks for input guys! JT

(BTW - seems like there a few SF Bay Area folk. aktion035.gif thumb3d.gif )
davep
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2006, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 13 2006, 01:53 PM) *

look at my profile ...

Yeah, so you are as old as Methuselah. Update that profile and get #374 into the VIN list! beer.gif
drewvw
I am going to catch hell for this, but if it were me I would actually go for the sunbeam tiger!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

welcome.png
dinomium
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 14 2006, 10:00 AM) *

I am going to catch hell for this, but if it were me I would actually go for the sunbeam tiger!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

welcome.png

I learned to drive in a sunbeam Tiger, my uncle Tom is really kewl!

beerchug.gif
welcome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.