Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preserving tires? (for second set of rims/tires)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Getting another set of rims and tires for my car soon...currently have 17x7's on all four corners and will be getting 4 17x8's....the 8's are going in the back and the 7's in the front, this also means I'll have an extra pair of 7's and 8's with tires to use as spares or replacements later on down the road (hopefully a year or more)
(not that it matters much, 205 on the 7's and 245's on the 8's)

thanks
chilli
No way am I an expert on this. But I keep my tires mounted with air and inside out of the sun. No special Majic treatment

Mike
turboman808
I just shove em in the garage. Put the azeins on after 2 years and they still work fine. First autox the tires hard to get rid of the old rubber on top but then took like 2 runs and they were back to normal as far as I could tell.
rcrgrl
wrap 'em in a black plastic garbage bag, tie it tight and keep em in the garage.
r_towle
What ruins tires is ozone.
Ozone makes the rubber dry rot, and crack.

Put the tires on a pice of wood, not on the concrete...put each tire in a sealed plasitc bag (this kees out the ozone gas)
Keep them in a cool dark and shaded area...
Keep the temp stable...so the basement is a good place, versus the garage which fluxuates temp wise..

aside from that...good luck.

Rich
736conver
Keep them away from electrical motors. Ozone breaks down the tire. Air them up with nitrogen to keep moisture away too.
I went to a corvair meeting once and this is what the goodyear tire guy suggested.
r_towle
Please enlighten me.
Why electrical motors??? that is a new one for me, and I want to learn something today.

Rich
736conver
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 13 2006, 03:13 PM) *

Please enlighten me.
Why electrical motors??? that is a new one for me, and I want to learn something today.

Rich

Electical motors put out very high levels of ozone.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 13 2006, 01:13 PM) *

Please enlighten me.

the spark common in electrical motors creates ozone ...

smile.gif Andy
r_towle
cool, I thought it was a gas, only produced by aerosol....

Rich
Midtowner
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2006, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 13 2006, 01:13 PM) *

Please enlighten me.

the spark common in electrical motors creates ozone ...

smile.gif Andy

I'lk keep this in mind next time I use my hair dryer, electric shaver, etc. blink.gif
bondo
Only brushed electric motors make continuous sparks.. Induction motors do not. Brushed motors are common in handheld drills (AC and DC), hair dryers, and small motored saws. The large motors you find on a compressor or a table saw are induction motors. If it has a starting capacitor, it's an induction motor. Most AC fans are aslo induction.

I don't think motors would produce enough ozone to worry about, unless run continuously.. in which case you'd be going through alot of brushes. smile.gif Those electrostatic air purifiers put out a whole bunch of ozone though..
swl
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 13 2006, 12:21 PM) *

cool, I thought it was a gas, only produced by aerosol....

Rich

<treehugger mode>
you were right Rich- it is a gas. O3 http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~owen/CHPI/IMAGES/ozonepro.html

The connection with aerosols is the the older propellants contained CFC's which depleted the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere. Ozone layer stops UV which causes skin cancer. More information than you ever wanted to know can be found at http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~owen/CHPI/IMAGES/ozonepro.html
</treehugger mode>
736conver
Here's what goodyear says. Right from the website. Nothing like too much infomation

HOW TO STORE YOUR TIRES

The best place to store tires is a clean, cool, dry, sunless area away from strong air currents. Even though the rubber used to make tires is formulated to resist the effects of sunlight, ozone, and water, the life of a tire can be extended if exposure to these elements is minimized during storage.
Stack tires flat so that the bottom tire will maintain its shape
Wrap each tire with an opaque polyethylene covering to minimize the effects of oxygen and ozone. Most Goodyear retailers have storage bags made specifically for this purpose
If tires are being stored outdoors, they should be raised off the storage surface
If tires are stored while mounted on rims, they should be inflated to 10 psi
If they are put in storage during warm weather, the initial inflation pressure should be about 15 psi to offset the pressure drop during cold weather months

HOW NOT TO STORE YOUR TIRES
Don't store tires in an area that is wet, oily or greasy
Don't store tires where they are subjected to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures
Don't store tires near electric motors or other ozone-generating sources
Don't store tires on black asphalt or other heat-absorbent surfaces
Don't store tires on or adjacent to highly reflective surfaces such as sand or snow
Mueller
QUOTE(736conver @ Jun 13 2006, 07:22 PM) *

Here's what goodyear says. Right from the website. Nothing like too much infomation

HOW TO STORE YOUR TIRES

The best place to store tires is a clean, cool, dry, sunless area away from strong air currents. Even though the rubber used to make tires is formulated to resist the effects of sunlight, ozone, and water, the life of a tire can be extended if exposure to these elements is minimized during storage.
Stack tires flat so that the bottom tire will maintain its shape
Wrap each tire with an opaque polyethylene covering to minimize the effects of oxygen and ozone. Most Goodyear retailers have storage bags made specifically for this purpose
If tires are being stored outdoors, they should be raised off the storage surface
If tires are stored while mounted on rims, they should be inflated to 10 psi
If they are put in storage during warm weather, the initial inflation pressure should be about 15 psi to offset the pressure drop during cold weather months

HOW NOT TO STORE YOUR TIRES
Don't store tires in an area that is wet, oily or greasy
Don't store tires where they are subjected to direct sunlight or extreme temperatures
Don't store tires near electric motors or other ozone-generating sources
Don't store tires on black asphalt or other heat-absorbent surfaces
Don't store tires on or adjacent to highly reflective surfaces such as sand or snow

What the he// do they know about tires, they only have a blimp?, hahahhaha

thanks for the list....now to find that open space in my garage headbang.gif wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.