Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
modpr2
whats the most hp and tq combinations have you been able to run reliable out of the the good ole 901. some say 300/300 is max others say they have got more. also how much strenth does the aftermarket intermediate plate add to trans. thanks
Brad Roberts
Plate: none

The issue is the Ring and Pinion.

I have ran 430hp and 400lb feet of tq through one.. and drag raced it a LOT.

It lasted about 6 events before it chewed all the teeth off the R+P.

I do agree the intermediate plates are starting to show some signs of wear, but I have yet to see a failure because of one.

The biggest issue is keeping the pinion bearing in line with the ring gear in high TORQUE (not HP) application.

The 915's have the same issue, WEVO and others have come up with a weapons grade steel insert for the pinion bearing. This keeps everything lined up and it doesnt wear out like the case does in a 901+915 situation.

B
brant
Brad,

had an interesting conversation a week ago with AJRS
I picked up my tranny which has an F first gear in it.
(custom machined tail, with magnesium welded patch where they have to actually make room for the F gear)

Grady Clay from pelican and just ole time porsche guy was very worried about running any useable power onto the 1st gear position.
AJRS said that he has some customers running 3.4L race motors on similarly modified 901's..

wow...

he also said that he recommends 915's from 250hp up for reliability purposes.

brant
modpr2
im battling myself on what engine to use in my 914. but one of my options is a v8 and i can get a brand new 350 crate engine at 290 hp and 330 tq will my 901 hold up with that
brant
I don't have a V-8
so really don't have the experience to answer your question.

but as per general rule internet belief...
it will hold up a while... not as long as it would with a type -4 motor.
you won't want to use 1st gear
and it would be best to go through the box and freshen everything.

I've heard v8 guys in the past say that after 2-3 tranny's they were tired of babying 901's and it was worth doing the conversion to end the headaches.

brant
Dr Evil
agree.gif Freshen up the box, ditch first. You will hear some say they toasted many 901 boxes, others say that they have abused theirs with no problems. You would be working at the limits of the box. There are outliers in any statistical curve (how many die at what given tq). In the end if you want to do burn outs and such you will likely want the insurance of different CV ($$), different tranny ($$$$), etc. Even refeshing your tranny will cost you some good cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.