Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turned the key and BOOM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratt
I turned the key and the second it went to the start position it made the loudest bang I have ever heard. IT was louder then my brothers .45 magnum. Be for anything else happend I turned the key off nad got out. The engine bay was filled with smoke and it smelt kina like electrical smoke, you know that smell. My ears are still ringing.

I had just adjusted the points because they were so close theydidnt seem like they were opening. I set them to .016". Thats right for an 009 distributer right? I was just wondering what the hell blew befor I try to start the car again.
Thanks
Andy Rattley
Ratt
Oh, and the motor never even turned befor it went Boom!
Andy
Joe Bob
Battery?
TheCabinetmaker
Andy, I saw a battery blow up once and it did sound like a gun shot. It made me go prone. I'll bet if you stick your head in the engine bay, it will painfully obvious what happened.
Ratt
Naw the batter looks fine, the two vent caps are still on it. I too have seen a battery blow. I was 3 feet from the moron kid when he arched the two terminals.
it was quite fun, luckly I had my shop glasses on and a face shield because I was doing some grinding.
Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ratt @ Sep 30 2003, 04:42 PM)
...just wondering what the hell blew befor I try to start the car again.

battery!

sounds just like the one that went in Joy's Subie a couple of months ago.

go get out there NOW with LOTS of water and a box of baking soda !

buy an Optima tomorrow...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ratt @ Sep 30 2003, 05:07 PM)
Naw the batter looks fine, the two vent caps are still on it.

the vent caps are still on our bad battery too. the top, however, lifted right off the rest of the box ...

if it were a CIS 911 it'd be possible it's an airbox, but unless you have some serious weirdness with your coldstart valve i wouldn't think it likely with a /4.

gotta be something, tho -- look carefully - maybe try turning the engine carefully by hand - after checking for a pool of acid under the car ...
mharrison
Are you cheating on your wife? Is she Italian with a large family? cool_shades.gif

Maybe the bomb was a dud!! blink.gif

I'm just kidding...anyone here of Italian descent please don't be offended!! pray.gif
Scott
Could have back fired through the intake. Happened on my teener. After you try ang get it figutred out, drive it. Check for oil leaks. Mine has a leak since it happened.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.