Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apparently, something fell in my head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blitZ
I had noted here have an issue with my spark plug getting whacked by something. Apparently, some foreign metal object found it's way into the cylinder and has reaked havoc. At least it wasn't a valve seat. What's the best way to clean up this mess?

fitsbain
Someone may need to correct me but I believe all of the ridges and dimples in the head will lead to hot spots and or poor running. But don't take my word for it, els ethe cap n will have to yell at me again.

Maybe a replacment is in order.

What size are those?

I'm not good enough to tell yet.
Dr Evil
Les, that sucks man. I hope the fix is not gonna kill your wallet.
Aaron Cox
your head needs some machining...

it has to be asll smoooootthed out again....

may be better off finding a core...
Mark Henry
OK here's what you do

I send both heads to HAM in Georga. http://haminc.biz/

Get him to clean up the head seating surface then cut a relief in the head deck about .050 or so to clean up the mess. the damage the the actual chamber looks minor. This will up your chamber CC.
Then get rid of the head gaskets and get some euro pistons or 96mm from Jake.

This should bump your CR back up to spec.
blitZ
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 13 2006, 07:12 PM) *

What kind of CR should I expect?
Will I still be able to run on regular gas?

Thanks for the help.
Gint
That sucks.

Wasn't a chopstick was it? cool.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jun 13 2006, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 13 2006, 07:12 PM) *

What kind of CR should I expect?
Will I still be able to run on regular gas?

Thanks for the help.

About 8.5:1 pump gas.

The relief cut should solve most of it and shim it for the rest. Get Len (HAM) to cc the heads, then use the CR calculator at aircooled.net to figure out your shims.
blitZ
That sounds good, reworked heads, 2056, now if I can just get a new cam in there. idea.gif
SLITS
Hey Mr. Henry....wouldn't you heliarc up the damaged areas, then set it on a mill and cut back to original specs? Or am I just old school?

BTW...replace the piston
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 14 2006, 10:49 AM) *

Hey Mr. Henry....wouldn't you heliarc up the damaged areas, then set it on a mill and cut back to original specs? Or am I just old school?

BTW...replace the piston

I do this on all my Hi-po engines and I've done it to repair this exact same thing on stockers...it works good. Also allows you to run a tighter deck.
Mark Henry
Of course it will be up to Len to make the call...you can only clean up so much.
blitZ
Len sent a quick reply to my email this morning. He has a thrifty option for me involving flycutting the head and smoothing the damaged area with a porting tool. I'm gonna go that route.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.