Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today is 9/30
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
what distinguihes a 930 from the 911 other than engine?
Rouser
Price?
ChrisReale
930 is a Turbo
Qarl
TimT
Lots of stuff besides the engine:

rear suspension geometry is changed (dif trailing arms)
brakes are different than "911"s ( ie 930 brakes)
Wide body
Wider tires.
The there is obviously the engine..

Also different aero package for a 930

whale tail, and rubber "smile" front air dam

tons of minor stuff too
J P Stein
They're easier to whupp up on at the AX. laugh.gif
Scott Carlberg
930 is the project number, isn't it?

Like the 944 Turbo is called 951. Project 951

911: 964/993/996 next 997
Boxster: 986
krk
Random bits I know of.

Some dispute as to calling it a 930 -- it was indeed the project number. Apparently in europe, it was always called the "911 turbo". Some claim that marketing in the US may have used the 930 moniker. I've never seen it, but I only have a small amount of material from '76. (I have the "aluminum flyer" -- the promo sales flyer that seems like a metal rather than a cardboard. I think it's cardboard, but it's nicely done) I believe the car's registration says 930, but I was just quoting the PO.

Lots of bits are different in the chassis. I've not had to do the rear wheel bearings, but I understand they have some funky dual-race thing going on there. The fuel pump for a 76 is unique to the 76, and is therefor $850 from Porsche -- if you can get it. Oh, it has two fuel pumps. Yee haw.

Wheels were enormous -- lol -- the rears are 8", and the fronts a whopping 6". (in 76 -- before the put the 917 brakes on too -- car goes forward, doesn't like to turn or stop -- sharp radius turns at low speeds feels like the old days of driving on ice -- "I'm turning but not much is happening" -- 77 saw 7/9 for wheels and bigger 917 brakes.)

Interior was nicely done -- leather for the most part. Turbo gauge is down near the shifter. I've never seen it when the car is on boost. (who can look down at a time like that -- I assume it works, but it could be painted on for all I know)

Silver is the right color -- particularly striking at night -- the car has many curves caused by the flares and the night lights pick up the highlights. The 76 is definitely one of my favorite cars of all time. At the time of it's release, it was considered pretty outrageous.

Cooling sucked -- they sent them over with a trombone oil cooler -- in CA, with stop/go traffic, you'll see 250 degrees in 15 mins. They switched to the 24 vane brass one, then the full radiator with fan.

It's ridiculously stable at speed. The difference between 40 and 100 is the scenery going by. 2nd gear is breath taking. I've never AX'd the thing, but it would suck. A stock 3.0L with 6.5 to 1 compression -- first gear is just painful to get off the line, and power is very dependent on spooling. The stock turbo is considered by most to be a doorstop now. Newer turbo technology spools faster, reduces lag, etc.

The first few times I drove it on boost, it felt like my old VW -- in the case of the VW, you step on the gas and sometime later something happened (it was a 1.1 L engine) -- in the case of the 930, there's a definite pause while it spools and the next few seconds are somewhat surprising. I'm smiling thinking of it. Once you get used to it, it's not that hard to keep the boost up if you want to. (essentially, keep the revs up, and arrange for the revs to go up just before you need the power.)

The requested celebratory 9/30 pic is attached. I've mentioned the vandal incident on another thread some time ago. It's getting fixed. Some day, I'll get to drive it again.

kim.
Korijo
Any 930 flares on a teener ?? Pics ??
redshift
Thanks Kim, that was a good read.

I like the early cars, very Van Halen. wink.gif

-eruption-

M
djm914-6
Also, IIRC, the early cars had a vin that started with 930. Kinka like the 914/6 that had 914 in the vin.

Someday I'll get a 930 (aka 911 Turbo) just for the nostalga of it.
Mueller
here's another difference between regular 911 and Turbo?????

higher insurance sad.gif
krk
Re: vins - dje is correct. I don't recall the change over, but the early cars started wtih 930.
Re: insurance - I'll have to dig, but I don't think my insurance is that much. It's an old car after all. It probably is more than a 76 911 tho.
Re: 930 flares on a teener - never seen one done. Seen SC flares tho. Looked ok. I believe dug (I've seen him on roadglue) has a /6 with SC flares on it.

Actually, saw an orig 934 up close -- it needed wider flares than stock. Pic attached.

kim.
jtf914
Local NoVA participant:
TimT
heres some pics of my friends 930. We transmogrified it from a bone stock '79 930, to a 900hp 935 clone. The car gives major wood while driving, and is quicker and faster than everything I have even driven or had a ride in. We saw the other side of 200 on the long course at pocono.
TimT
:-P

( at Bridgehampton RIP)
TimT
;-)
TimT
The car is now motivated with a turbo 3.6 a G50 geared for 178. Our most recent problems are shearing teeth off the pinion... gotta find a box stronger than a G50
redshift
QUOTE(TimT @ Oct 1 2003, 08:47 PM)
We saw the other side of 200 on the long course ar pocono.

Awesome!

I have a friend with a DP 935 streeter -silver/blue one you may have seen on Miami Vice laugh.gif - shocking jolts to the beach in that thing, it needs a big spring behind the gas pedal.

smile.gif

M
Aaron Cox
what is the diference between a slant nose and a coupe (other than body)
nine14cats
Here's my daily driver....a 1988 930. 5 speed 915 conversion, new engine...brakes...interior...quick spool turbo...

I was bad.... rolleyes.gif

Makes commuting enjoyable! laugh.gif

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.