Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Locked out of my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff73
I just purchased a 73' 914 and I have a problem. I am locked out of the car. I know I could probably call a locksmith and they could open it for me, but I don't want to spend 60 bucks to have them open a car that doesn't run right now. Can anyone help me get in my car. Is there an easy way to jimmy the lock?
Hammy
Are your keys locked inside or what?
I left my keys in the seat once and there was enough room between the windows and the top targa seal to pull open the rear targa latches with a coat hanger. You can then prop up the rear of the targa top quite a bit for more room, but be careful not to break anything.
Then I used some coat hanger to get the keys.
Jeff73
I think I can try that, we'll see. I just bought this thing yesterday and I am trying to start messing with it. Guy said it ran 1.5 years ago. Has some front end damage though. Paid 750 for it. Learning how to work on a Porsche.
Hammy
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jun 13 2006, 09:42 PM) *

I think I can try that, we'll see. I just bought this thing yesterday and I am trying to start messing with it. Guy said it ran 1.5 years ago. Has some front end damage though. Paid 750 for it. Learning how to work on a Porsche.

It'll work. Just need to make as much room as possible by raising the rear of the roof. Hardest part for me was pulling the rear latches open. good luck....
highways
You can also try someone elses keys. In highschool my buddy and I had different 914's.... and he was surprised one day when I started his up while his keys where still in his pocket. There's probably only about 5 major key patterns from the factory, and they're pretty simular. Just be very gentle if you're using random keys- don't wanna tweak your cylinder cause it probably wont be a perfect fit, but close enough. But yeah, I did the targa top hanger trick too. Sometimes you can push your window down a little to make a little gap to get started fishing.
Jeff73
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Demick
There's a lot more than 5 key combinations. But most 914 locks are so worn, that they can be fairly easily opened by similar keys or even just some strips of metal or plastic of about the right size. I've had to open my doors 3 or 4 times that way.

Demick
Jeff73
The handle operates fine, I can put the key in it and it turns. But nothing. I can see it is locked on the inside, but it just doesn't want to open. I'll keep trying.
Hammy
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jun 13 2006, 10:04 PM) *

The handle operates fine, I can put the key in it and it turns. But nothing. I can see it is locked on the inside, but it just doesn't want to open. I'll keep trying.

Sounds like maybe the plastic lever is broken to me.... Very common and easy to fix. Once you get the door open biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Some are helped with a good shot of graphite in the lock.....btw, took me an hour last time I locked my keys in the car to get it open....my blonde girlfriend got real bored sittng in there with nothing to do...
DonTraver
I've used a coat hanger to open the lock latch inside. Snake it in between the top and window, then work it down the back side of the window, helps if you have someone directing you.

Good Luck, Don
brant
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:04 PM) *

both doors are the same?

weird...
both broken at the same time?

I've used a coat hanger to pull the lock tab open before...

brant
SirAndy
AAA ...

took the guy 30 seconds ...
smile.gif Andy
effutuo101
i found a file folder with a metal hanger on it i took out the metal and it slides between the door and glass easy. find the lock bar and pull up
bd1308
I dont knwo what you all are pulling on...

i just push the tab, and it unlocks.

done it twice, once at work...

b
Jeff73
Gonna try a few more things when I get home from work. We'll see how it goes.
Hammy
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:43 PM) *

I dont knwo what you all are pulling on...

i just push the tab, and it unlocks.

done it twice, once at work...

b

What tab blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.