Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just bought my first 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff73
I just bought my first 914 yesterday, and I am new to owning a Porsche. It is a 73, has 112,000 on it and hasn't run in about a year and a half. The body is pretty clean with the exception of some front end damage. Problem is I am locked out of the car at the moment (already have a post for that topic). I was told by a friend that switching to a carb set up would be very beneficial for me. Is that true, or should I stick with the Fuel Injection? Also, any good links / websites would be much appreciated.
Hammy
99% of the members here will say keep the FI setup smile.gif
Sinner914
QUOTE(Jeff73 @ Jun 13 2006, 09:53 PM) *

I just bought my first 914 yesterday, and I am new to owning a Porsche. It is a 73, has 112,000 on it and hasn't run in about a year and a half. The body is pretty clean with the exception of some front end damage. Problem is I am locked out of the car at the moment (already have a post for that topic). I was told by a friend that switching to a carb set up would be very beneficial for me. Is that true, or should I stick with the Fuel Injection? Also, any good links / websites would be much appreciated.

Hammy is right, a lot of the guys will tell you to keep the FI set-up but that is up to you. Some guys like the tuning of the carbs and the sucking noise it makes. I say, if the FI works don't replace it unless you need to. FI can nickel and dime you in the end if it isn't up to par but carbs need to be tuned and cared for. Do what you like but I say FI.

G
BigDBass
Hi Jeff,
welcome.png

I'm new to 914s myself. I got mine on April 30. This site is the pretty much the place to go for whatever 914 information you need. And the community is like nothing else on the planet. There's something for everyone here.

Pelican Parts, aka "the bird board" has many useful how-to and informational articles for 914 projects. There is also a 914 board there with a bit less traffic and flavor than you'll find here. And lots of 914 parts when you need them!

RennList also has some 914 information, but I personally have a harder time finding stuff there. You'll find many other web resources referenced in our forum here.

If you do a search or browse through the archives here, you'll find that the concensus is that for a stock engine you're better off sticking with the stock fuel injenction for many reasons. Read through the posts here and you'll find those reasons.

G e o r g e
agree.gif welcome.png

This site is the pretty much the place to go for whatever 914 information you need. And the community is like nothing else on the planet. There's something for everyone here.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Gint
Welcome to the club.

Ultimately the car will run much better and you'll be much happier sticking with the FI. And the folks here on this site can help you get it running as long as you have a little patience.
drewvw

What these guys are saying about the FI. Also, if the engine is stock, the cam is not designed to be used with carbs, so not a good idea to switch for that reason either.

welcome.png

we want pics!
blitZ
Welcome to the club. Ditto on the FI, I still have my orignal Djet, which works fine, good performance and economy. Use your upgrade dollars on something else.

And may the Lord have mercy on your soul.
mstein95
Welcome to the club. Hope to see you at one of the Puget Sound Teener Tuesday events once your teener is running again.
My .02 - keep the FI.

welcome.png
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 14 2006, 05:31 AM) *

What these guys are saying about the FI. Also, if the engine is stock, the cam is not designed to be used with carbs, so not a good idea to switch for that reason either.

welcome.png

we want pics!

What he said about the stock cam is true. If you are going to run the stock engine

then I would not change a thing. Plus you can't beat the fuel economy, BUT I

would not trade my webers for anything. The performance with a built engine is

great , now I am not going to say that the performance is better than FI (FASTER)

but it does have better responce(TORQUE) at lower RPM's .And I like to listen

to them breathe (FIRE).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.