Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Home Heating/Cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Ok HVAC guru's, I have an oil burning forced hot air furnace, We plan on selling the house very soon so I dont want to spend the additional to add the central air stuff. Is there a way to wire up the furnace to run just in fan mode to ciruclate air? Currently it has a two wire thermostat hooked up.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

My best,
Mike D.
crash914
short answer is yes.

long answer is I don't know how to do it.

I know there is a relay from the t-stat to kick on the oil burner, you could use the cooling part from the t-stat wired into another relay to kick on the fan.

The way the current t-stat is wired it sends a signal to both the oil burner and to the fan. I can't remember if the fan is daisy chained from the burner. for what it is worth, sometimes the schematics are located inside the fan door and the cover of the oil burner...
Mark Henry
Most of them have a switch on the furnace to do this, It should say "summer/winter".
blitZ
This might work well if your duct work runs through your basement. If it runs through the attic, you'll probably be circulating hot air.
Sparky
All the ducts are in the basement and feed up to each room. All pop the cover off the boiler once I wake up a bit more and check it out.

Mike D.
elwood-914
Like Mark Henry said SUMMER SWITCH hitfan[1].gif
Sparky
Ok I opened it up and found... confusion. No schematic, on the outside of the furnace is a kill switch, on the inside is a rocker switch. Neither is labled but I do know the outside switch is the kill switch (watched the furnace guy turn it off to clean it). The furnace is an Olsen BCL-120 5.

Why am I so hesitant to turn off the inside rocker and see what happens? The wife isn't home... Seriously whats the worst that could happen. Oh wait that would be screwing up the furnace and having to replace it. Which would mean the end of my paint-the-teener fund account.

Help me save my paint fund!

Mike D.
Steve Thacker
Information page with contact number. Just tell them the T-stat type. I'm sure they would have no problem helping you out

http://www.olsenhvac.com/

Oh yea I forgot to add. If you have a two wire then you don't have the control for the fan only. There has to be a switch on the unit to put it in summer mode. The folks above should get you squared away.
cantley914
There should be a grey rectangular box mounted on the front of your furnace with a white stick or button sticking out.
This is your manual/auto fan control.
Push on that white stic/button it will put your blower fan on the manual state. To stop it (put it back on auto mode) just pull back on it.
Most of those fan control are manufactured by and have the name Honeywell on them
By the way the rocker switch on the ceiling is the master kill switch for the furnace.

Good luck

Steph
guywan914
Sparky, the fan is controlled by the limit switch on most furnaces. That would be the grey box with a temperature dial in it. Those settings control the blower on [med pointer] and blower off [lowest setting]. The high setting is the hi-limit.Some fan/limit controls do have the push or slide button that someone else referred to but not all, that button will give you fan operation as long as it is in that position.
your thermostat wires go to a control on the burner or in the furnace. If your control has the following terminals R,W,G,Y,C, your in luck. If you put a jumper or wire a switch from R to G you'll have fan operation. f you don't have either that control or the fan/limit control with the button yuo will need to add a relay. If you need I can supply you with one . Give me a pm if you have trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.