Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI system questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
is it possible to test a TPS to see if it has gone bad ....

can a tps that has gone bad be adjust to work properly ...

what the hell is the little screw thing on the side of the throttle boy on 73 d- jet ? i think it is the idle speed?

here's the deal I am supposed to go to the WI getogether on sat but am in serious need of a front end alignment before I go ... as I was driveing in to get the alginm,ent my car started to chug and hesitate ... general thought is it is the TPS ... I had a spare that came with the car but being that I don't ohm meter I am trying to playing by feel and ear to try and get it at least close enough to make it to the shop .. but no luck ...

help!!
BigDBass
sad.gif
popcorn[1].gif

Good luck, Mike. I'm in a similar boat. Doesn't look like I'll make this event after planning for it since before I got my ride. fyou1.gif
drgchapman
There's a laundry list of places to look.
1. check grounds (frequently the problem)
2. check MPS (if it is this, your in trouble)
3. check trigger points (rarely the problem)
4. check TPS, usually light load miss

Check Brad Anders d-jet site.....the Bible of d-jet.

Good luck.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 14 2006, 06:30 AM) *

Good luck, Mike. I'm in a similar boat. Doesn't look like I'll make this event after planning for it since before I got my ride. fyou1.gif

Dan

What's the scoop? What is keeping you from coming?
BigDBass
hijacked.gif
What is keeping you from coming?

I had front brake problems begin on Mother's Day. See my thread here.
Short version: learning more and faster than I wanted to. Replaced front rotors, bearings, rebuilt calipers, and flex hoses very slowly. Still have something not right up there, and now discovered leaks in both rear flex lines that I don't think I can fix in time.

Sorry for the hijack, Mike.
sk8kat1
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jun 14 2006, 06:35 AM) *

There's a laundry list of places to look.
1. check grounds (frequently the problem)
2. check MPS (if it is this, your in trouble)
3. check trigger points (rarely the problem)
4. check TPS, usually light load miss

Check Brad Anders d-jet site.....the Bible of d-jet.

Good luck.

1 ) I will chk that's pretty easy
2)the PO already replaced before I got it , whew
3)not sure how to do this , will leave til last
4)tps is being worked with now hoping this is the problem ... since I already have it apart
Bartlett 914

I had front brake problems begin on Mother's Day. See my thread here.
Short version: learning more and faster than I wanted to. Replaced front rotors, bearings, rebuilt calipers, and flex hoses very slowly. Still have something not right up there, and now discovered leaks in both rear flex lines that I don't think I can fix in time.

Sorry for the hijack, Mike.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope you can get it together in time. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Mark

Sorry for the continued hijack Mike
sk8kat1
no worries .. we are all just trying to get to WI this weekend .. drunk.gif
tdgray
That little screw is the idle speed.

Having just went through all of this on my 73 1.7 here is my short list of things.

1) The TPS is not often the culprit. With the key on but car not running move the throttle slowly through it's range of motion. If you hear clicking everytime it moves, it's most likely fine.

2) Check all your vacuum hoses. If cracked etc replace. This FI will not work without the vacuum *properly* buttoned up.

3) check dwell angle. If out of range adjust points.

In my recent experience try to go after the little things. The big scary things are often not the culprit and you can waste a tremendous amount of time chasing them.
nycchef
here is a diagramon how to reset the tp. hope it loads right
aircooledboy
Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delay bud, just got your voice mail. (I was in a hearing all day yesterday.)

Unfortunately I don't have any 2.0 d-jets in the bone yard. Got a 1.7 d-jet and two 2.0 l-jet set ups. If you end up needing anything compatable with your system, and I've got it, it's yours. Heck, I'll even take a part off my running 1.7 as a loaner if it will get you to MukyIwannago Saturday.

If you call on the cell, I WILL get back to you ASAP. beerchug.gif

BTW, your problem sounds very much like my car acted when I had my coil wire go bad on me last year. One more thing to consider.
BigDBass
Come on, Mike, I want both our cars there Saturday!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.