Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E-bay e-mail scam just tried to hit me.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I just got an e-mail "from e-bay" wink.gif telling me my account will be restricted unless I fill out the from on the supplied link.

The form wanted everything about my account.. mad.gif

I was going to send a nast reply but decided to just delete the e-mail..

Keep an eye out for this bogus e-mail....Not that anyone here would fill the form out

Cheers
Kerry
mharrison
I got the same e-mail and sent it to spoof@ebay.com. This is set up just for such e-mails. I was suprised that it was difficult to find.

When I last checked, the site was still up though...It was a really crappy rendition of an eBay page too. You could see the frames....
mharrison
Here is a copy of the e-mail:
IPB Image

And here is where it takes you:
DO NOT FILL THIS OUT !! Looking won't hurt! It's really CHEEZIE looking!!!

A lookup on this IP indicates that it is an Asia Pacific Network IP address.
Which if you drill down deeper has it registered to:

IP Address : 211.217.224.0-211.217.224.255
Network Name : KORNET-INFRA-SHINCHON
Connect ISP Name : KORNET
Connect Date : 20001107
Registration Date : 20001114

[ Organization Information ]
Orgnization ID : ORG140254
Org Name : KOREA TELECOM SHINCHON NODE
State : SEOUL
Address : 157-1 DONGKYODONG MAPOKU
Zip Code : 121-200

[ Admin Contact Information]
Name : DONGHUN KIM
Address : 128-9 YEUNKEONDONG JONGROKU
Zip Code : 110-460
Phone : +82-2-747-9212
Fax : +82-2-766-5901
E-Mail : donghk@soback.kornet.net

[ Technical Contact Information ]
Name : DONGHUN KIM
Address : 128-9 YEUNKEONDONG JONGROKU
Zip Code : 110-460
Phone : +82-2-747-9212
Fax : +82-2-766-5901
E-Mail : donghk@soback.kornet.net

ninja.gif SO SOMEBODY IN KOREA WANTS YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!! ph34r.gif And why after a few days is this site still up? I traced it this far!!!!

I also e-mailed DONGHUN KIM at the Korea Telecom ISP. We'll see what happens!!
Aaron Cox
they even ask for your PIN number!

"there's a sucker born every minute" comes to mind finger.gif
p914
In addition to reporting it to eBay also send the message source to the IFCC site for the FBI. THey follow up on these scams. Take the time and fill out their form. You may get correspondence to verify info from the scammer. I helped track a Romanian scammer down.
seanery
My brother hellped the FBI. Someone was hacking into the system at work. We(he) traced the addresses back and we actually found a picture of the guy on his computer before we deleted all the hard drives!! HAHA!! finger.gif
Pnambic
You didn't happen to write that letter to Donghun Kim in Korean, did you? He may look at your message and toss it out with the junkmail if he doesn't speak/read English.

I agree with p914, hit up the IFCC on this. I pity the poor people that have already sent their info to this scam artist. There are so many people that use Ebay that really have no idea what they're doing on a computer and would probably fill this out without thinking twice.

There are so many people that still believe that if its in print (and they stretch this to include text on a computer screen) it has to be truth. My wife's grandmother believe's just about everything she reads in the National Enquirer dispite our best attempts to convince her otherwise.
Curvie Roadlover
The link no longer works. Hopefully it's been shut down and Donghun Kim is on his way to being some Bubba's girlfriend in the slammer. Maybe some "caning" would be appropriate, too. finger.gif
andys
Anyone using Earthlink has probably had similar e-mails requesting account information from faulse sourses. I called Earthlink, and they said they were aware of this, and not to respond. So why didn't Earthlink send a general warning message if they knew?????

Andy
Pnambic
I have SBC/Yahoo! (used to be Ameritech) and they have sent out periodic messages warning of such scams, about every 6 months or so, but I've never received one of the scam messages.
mharrison
DONGHUN KIM is only the technical contact of the ISP who leased this guy his IP Address. Hopefully he will help law enforcement locate this guy. Unless the IP Address was on a website that had been hacked, which is probably the case.

Anyway, I hope they're able to track the perpetrator down.
jnp914
I received the eBay scam message yesterday on one of my accounts, and it is probably the fifth or sixth time I have received it or a another version. And there are a couple of other eBay related scam messages that I have received and forwarded to spoof@ebay.com.

I received them all on my AT&T Worldnet account. It turned into a big vacuum for spam and nitwits. My account was hacked three times. I pulled the plug on AT&T and am now with SBC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.